Assisted Dying

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Assisted Dying

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:54 am

It's horrendously sad. I feel bloody awful for them. And to make matters worse, they've been trying to get him back home to manchester for a couple of months, but issues with transport and then transferring his care meant they had to stay in Kent. They are just desperate to get up north again now.

Why let people suffer in so much pain? Even a fatal cocktail in an IV once consciousness has been lost would be better than the days waiting for death. I think everyone who's seen someone come to the end of their cancer battle will understand that period. I've seen both that with my nanna, and on the flip side life support with my brother. With my brother we had the option of 'turning him off' before waiting for for his organs to give out. We did it on our terms, when we were ready. Which was only hours after we realised there was no more hope to be had. I'd rather that than waiting days.
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 am

NastyNickers wrote:It's horrendously sad. I feel bloody awful for them. And to make matters worse, they've been trying to get him back home to manchester for a couple of months, but issues with transport and then transferring his care meant they had to stay in Kent. They are just desperate to get up north again now.

Why let people suffer in so much pain? Even a fatal cocktail in an IV once consciousness has been lost would be better than the days waiting for death. I think everyone who's seen someone come to the end of their cancer battle will understand that period. I've seen both that with my nanna, and on the flip side life support with my brother. With my brother we had the option of 'turning him off' before waiting for for his organs to give out. We did it on our terms, when we were ready. Which was only hours after we realised there was no more hope to be had. I'd rather that than waiting days.

you've raised an important point.

why is it acceptable, even encouraged, to switch life support off in cases of an unconscious relative where there's obviously no chance of recovery, but it's socially wrong to end the unbearable suffering of a conscious person where there's no chance of recovery and all they face is pain and agony until their dying breath?

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am

NastyNickers wrote:It's horrendously sad. I feel bloody awful for them. And to make matters worse, they've been trying to get him back home to manchester for a couple of months, but issues with transport and then transferring his care meant they had to stay in Kent. They are just desperate to get up north again now.

Very sadly it appears that some people don't actually care about any of this, only about protecting the "vulnerable" and casting aspersions on our medical professionals. Unfortunately there are many of them and it will be a long struggle to law change. My heart goes out to those brave people who have challenged the law. Being forced to die in agony, strife, decomposition, in your own filth is inhuman and is against human rights. Laws are there to protect animals but sentient human beings aren't eligible for the same consideration.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 am

Guest wrote:

you've raised an important point.

why is it acceptable, even encouraged, to switch life support off in cases of an unconscious relative where there's obviously no chance of recovery, but it's socially wrong to end the unbearable suffering of a conscious person where there's no chance of recovery and all they face is pain and agony until their dying breath?

Yes I'd like to know that. It's a very interesting point. Whoever they are, conscious or not, the same consideration should be given.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 am

Vam wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Sorry to read that NN. I don't believe the law is about putting people through torture, it's about protecting vulnerable people.

That should be a given.

If you felt confident that the interests of vulnerable people were being stringently protected, would you then be in favour of assisted euthanasia in principle?

@ Nic...sad news. He was no age, bless him. Your friend must be in bits, but I can certainly understand her sense of relief. I've been there, too....

Yes.
Lady Murasaki

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms