It's A Wonder Any Of Us Are Alive Today

A right load of bollocks...

It's A Wonder Any Of Us Are Alive Today

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 pm

As some will know, I have a new granddaughter but I wonder for how long?

I'm not serious but I am absolutely gobsmacked by the amount of guidelines and advice given to mothers nowadays which in may cases completely contradicts that which was given to them even a short time ago.

My daughter follows every bit of advice to the letter, so much so that it's not always having a beneficial affect on her, her baby and the rest of her family. I would go as far as to say her cleanliness regime is reaching OCD levels.

That aside, even the ordinary things mothers have done for years are no longer allowed such as 'swaddling' babies or lying them on their fronts. I used to make up two or three bottles at a time, keep them refrigerated until required, thats a no no now. You must make a fresh bottle for each feed and use within 2 hours or throw it away.

There are lots of other little things which are taboo now, I can't think of them at this moment, but most have been used for decades or even longer, it's a wonder any of us lived long enough to be posting on this forum.

I tell her that these 'rules' or 'guidelines' are put in place by people needing to justify their jobs, no-one is going to pay £50,000pa + for someone to sit in an office and say "carry on as before, everything is hunky dory" :roll: she won't have it of course.

I am sure there are other things nowadays that someone or another has suddenly deemed 'too dangerous' or 'just wrong' to do now, not just to do with babies, has anyone else noticed them? ..... and will we all die if we don't follow the guidelines?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: It's A Wonder Any Of Us Are Alive Today

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:22 pm

why do people sterilise baby bottles when kids have got to the stage of picking things up and putting them in their mouths? too much hygiene is creating a generation of ninnies.

the not sleeping on the front and swaddling thing is right though, tj, far fewer cot deaths now that has changed.

Postby Cobs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Are they first time parents? Notoriously finicky, they won't give a shit after another one.
Your role as a grandparent is to remain alive long enough to lecture the kids about imperial weights and measures once they reach school age.
Cobs

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:22 pm

cobaye22 wrote:Are they first time parents? Notoriously finicky, they won't give a shit after another one.
Your role as a grandparent is to remain alive long enough to lecture the kids about imperial weights and measures once they reach school age.

No it's their second. I'm just glad I can offer my 5 year old grandson the knowledge and experience I've gained, it was gratifying to see him really interested in what I told him about the Thames Estuary, something they are learning about in school.

I'm just pleased they are't learning about every other race and culture in the world, except their own. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 pm

I stopped sterilising bottles when mine started to crawl, I also was a proper lazy mother and used those little cartons of baby milk, never had the hassle of making bottles up, so no storage issues, that said once she started weaning I did make everything fresh and freeze it in batches, no jars used

honey was the big thing I remember, no honey before the age of 2
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Cobs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Trapper John wrote:
cobaye22 wrote:Are they first time parents? Notoriously finicky, they won't give a shit after another one.

No it's their second. I'm just glad I can offer my 5 year old grandson the knowledge and experience I've gained, it was gratifying to see him really interested in what I told him about the Thames Estuary, something they are learning about in school.

I'm just pleased they are't learning about every other race and culture in the world, except their own. :thumbsup:

Now I feel bad, five year olds are a joy (as long as you don't have to live with them).
Have you told him about the Tartars yet?
Cobs

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Guest wrote:why do people sterilise baby bottles when kids have got to the stage of picking things up and putting them in their mouths? too much hygiene is creating a generation of ninnies.

the not sleeping on the front and swaddling thing is right though, tj, far fewer cot deaths now that has changed.

For me the jury is out on cot deaths, I think central heating is a major factor.

I'm with you on the hygiene front though, yes it's fine with new borns but later on it's ridiculous. How the hell are kids going too build up restistance against a myriad of germs and such, if they are prevented from coming into contact with them?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 pm

cobaye22 wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Now I feel bad, five year olds are a joy (as long as you don't have to live with them).
Have you told him about the Tartars yet?

I'll save that for when he gets arsey about going to bed and my normal methods fail. :laughing:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Cobs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:I stopped sterilising bottles when mine started to crawl, I also was a proper lazy mother and used those little cartons of baby milk, never had the hassle of making bottles up, so no storage issues, that said once she started weaning I did make everything fresh and freeze it in batches, no jars used

honey was the big thing I remember, no honey before the age of 2

My parents had an 'accident' so I looked after my baby sister age 14 when they went to the pub on fridays.
Dip the dummy in the honey was the first thing on the list.
Cobs

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:why do people sterilise baby bottles when kids have got to the stage of picking things up and putting them in their mouths? too much hygiene is creating a generation of ninnies.

For me the jury is out on cot deaths, I think central heating is a major factor.

I'm with you on the hygiene front though, yes it's fine with new borns but later on it's ridiculous. How the hell are kids going too build up restistance against a myriad of germs and such, if they are prevented from coming into contact with them?

My daughter is the opposite.
Very clean house sterilized bottles for three months and thats it.
She has three very bright fit healthy children youngest seven months old.
Will not join in the mass vaccination programmes forced upon children these days.
Seven month old just got over hooping cough.
All three of them had it as babies all three of them now have immunity for life where as the vaccinated kids don't and now never can.
The vaccines start to wear off then you need boosters for the rest of your life which no one sticks to.
It is scientifically impossible to say at what point a vaccine has worn off to now be leaving the child open to all those diseases it was vaccinated for so the booster injections are best guest.
She is adamant about it and well educated about it all.
Her children do not have compromised immune systems like the others who will have to keep having shots.
Her kids play in the mud play in the woods by their house climb trees get cut bruised etc.
Old fashioned I know but her kids are growing up just like I did.
Only ailment I ever had as a kid was tonsillitis.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Guest wrote:why do people sterilise baby bottles when kids have got to the stage of picking things up and putting them in their mouths?

Wow.

I had never thought of that before :kinell:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:58 pm

I only found out today that ibuprofen is dangerous for type 1 diabetics. Not something that I was told after my son's diagnosis and during seventeen years of treatment.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Stooo wrote:I only found out today that ibuprofen is dangerous for type 1 diabetics. Not something that I was told after my son's diagnosis and during seventeen years of treatment.

I think it will be in the dustbin of history soon as it's turning out to be a very harmful drug for everyone. http://www.health.com/heart-disease/is- ... your-heart
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Will not join in the mass vaccination programmes forced upon children these days.
All three of them had it as babies all three of them now have immunity for life where as the vaccinated kids don't and now never can.
The vaccines start to wear off then you need boosters for the rest of your life which no one sticks to.
It is scientifically impossible to say at what point a vaccine has worn off to now be leaving the child open to all those diseases it was vaccinated for so the booster injections are best guess.
Her children do not have compromised immune systems like the others who will have to keep having shots.
Her kids play in the mud play in the woods by their house climb trees get cut bruised etc.

Just edited it before I get jumped on for spelling like my mate Markey.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Trapper John » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

It is scientifically impossible to say at what point a vaccine has worn off to now be leaving the child open to all those diseases it was vaccinated for so the booster injections are best guess.

Just edited it before I get jumped on for spelling like my mate Markey.

You missed whooping cough markey :wink:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms