A right load of bollocks...

Re: The Archaeology thread

Postby Keyser » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Golden treasures of the distant past.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... ogy-egypt/

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:11 pm

16 archaeological mysteries that may one day be solved and 'talking' corpses.

https://www.livescience.com/60628-spect ... eries.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... l-science/
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:56 pm

:ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Stooo wrote:Image

:ooer:

Wrong thread - that's palaeontology! :snooty:

But still funny! :laughing:
Keyser

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:36 am

Hiya Keyser, have you heard of Knossos? Its on the island of Crete.. Its my favourite ancient ruins....

Knossos was undeniably the capital of Minoan Crete. It is grander, more complex, and more flamboyant than any of the other palaces known to us, and it is located about twenty minutes south of the modern port town of Iraklio.
Arthur Evans, the British Archaeologist who excavated the site in 1900 AD restored large parts of the palace in a way that it is possible today to appreciate the grandeur and complexity of a structure that evolved over several millennia and grew to occupy about 20,000 square meters. Walking through its complex multi-storied buildings one can comprehend why the palace of Knossos was associated with the mythological labyrinth.

I feel in love with this place many yrs ago when I went there and it has always remained on the top of my list of ancient ruins. :smilin:

Hope to see you soon Keyser. :Hiya:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Keyser's ghost » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Sunny wrote:Hiya Keyser, have you heard of Knossos? Its on the island of Crete.. Its my favourite ancient ruins....

Knossos was undeniably the capital of Minoan Crete. It is grander, more complex, and more flamboyant than any of the other palaces known to us, and it is located about twenty minutes south of the modern port town of Iraklio.
Arthur Evans, the British Archaeologist who excavated the site in 1900 AD restored large parts of the palace in a way that it is possible today to appreciate the grandeur and complexity of a structure that evolved over several millennia and grew to occupy about 20,000 square meters. Walking through its complex multi-storied buildings one can comprehend why the palace of Knossos was associated with the mythological labyrinth.

I feel in love with this place many yrs ago when I went there and it has always remained on the top of my list of ancient ruins. :smilin:

It's a wonderful place Sunny.

I am perma-banned atm unfortunately but thanks for your post and I hope you and your family are well. :Hiya:
Keyser's ghost

Postby Sunny » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 am

Keyser's ghost wrote:
Sunny wrote:Hiya Keyser, have you heard of Knossos? Its on the island of Crete.. Its my favourite ancient ruins....

I am perma-banned atm unfortunately but thanks for your post and I hope you and your family are well. :Hiya:

Don't worry hang tight, hopefully you will be back soon.
Just ignore the ones who have a problem with you. There are many of us here who like your threads. :thumbsup:
Sunny

Postby Howard Carter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Sunny wrote:
Keyser's ghost wrote:

Just ignore the ones who have a problem with you. There are many of us here who like your threads. :thumbsup:

Thanks Sunny. :cuppaT:

This is art history more than archaeology but still very interesting. :smilin:

https://www.livescience.com/60655-hidde ... f-art.html
Howard Carter

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:07 am

Howard Carter wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Keyser's ghost wrote:

Thanks Sunny. :cuppaT:

This is art history more than archaeology but still very interesting. :smilin:

https://www.livescience.com/60655-hidde ... f-art.html

Very nice hun, that's why I like Knossos for its art work too....take a look...

Other vivid examples of Ancient Greek Minoan art are the frescoes found on excavated palace walls. Minoan painters utilized the wet type of fresco painting in which pigments were applied directly to wet plaster, binding the pigments to the wall, rather than simply painted atop dry plaster. Due to the fast drying time of plaster, these frescoes were executed quickly with fluid brushstrokes and graceful curving lines, producing dynamic movement of the figures and landscapes. Pigments used for fresco during this time included saffron, iron ore and indigo.
The Minoans used soft stones, such as serpentine, steatite and soapstone, to create vases, bowls and stone seals. Used to denote ownership or provenance, stone seals were small discs of stone with carved insignias or other identifying marks, representing a particular person or house in a time in which literacy was not widespread.

Amazing hey? :razz:
Sunny

Postby Vam » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Been meaning to add this for a while now...hope I'm not repeating someone else's post.

Another great reason to visit Barcelona :smilin: Gaudi's Sagrada Familia Basilica. Amazingly, it's still a work in progress - construction started in 1882, and is expected to be completed by 2026.

Vam

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:26 pm

Vam wrote:Been meaning to add this for a while now...hope I'm not repeating someone else's post.

Another great reason to visit Barcelona :smilin: Gaudi's Sagrada Familia Basilica. Amazingly, it's still a work in progress - construction started in 1882, and is expected to be completed by 2026.

Stunning Vam! :thumbsup:
Sunny

Postby Vam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am

@ Sunns :wink:
It really is an awesome place, darlin. I had a crick in my neck, looking up and trying to see it all! :gigglesnshit:
Vam

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 am

Vam wrote:@ Sunns :wink:
It really is an awesome place, darlin. I had a crick in my neck, looking up and trying to see it all! :gigglesnshit:

hahahaha.....some amazing buildings around the world.

The Khajuraho is amazing...

Sunny

Postby Punk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am

I usually wonder, how many people/slaves lost their lives erecting these fantastic structures?
Punk

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms