Postby Vicky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:39 am

Today's word is..

Gutties.

"You better put yer gutties in yer schoolbag, you've gym the morra"

Gutties = Plimsolls
Vicky

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 am

awaynbileyerheidyerbawbag I remember seeing this type of thing on tea towels and trying to figure out what they meant

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 am

I'm wearing my gutties this afternoon when I go to physio.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Fud. A rude Scottish word let's see if anyone can guess what it means

Postby Vicky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm

Guest wrote:Fud. A rude Scottish word let's see if anyone can guess what it means

I know whit it means, can i say?
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Here comes yer Highland Granny great big **** and a ***** *****

Vicky

Postby jp761 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:So Vicky, what is the origin of the Jimmy Hat? Who's Jimmy? Andy Murray suited his last night. :mrgreen:

I think it was Russ Abbot that started those hats and the Jimmy bit probably comes from, when your trying to attract a man you don't knows attention, you'll call him Jimmy.

My brother was at Scotland's opening game in the World Cup in 1998 and he was wearing one.

There was a wee Brazilian boy of about two sitting beside him and he wouldn't take his eyes off it.

My brother took it off and put it on the wee boy and my bruv said, the wee boy was delighted.
Ah.. now you mention it I remember Russ Abbott and all that..

Aww, that's a cute story your bruv the Jimmy hat, and the kid.
jp761

Postby Vicky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:34 pm

jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:So Vicky, what is the origin of the Jimmy Hat? Who's Jimmy? Andy Murray suited his last night. :mrgreen:

I think it was Russ Abbot that started those hats and the Jimmy bit probably comes from, when your trying to attract a man you don't knows attention, you'll call him Jimmy.

My brother was at Scotland's opening game in the World Cup in 1998 and he was wearing one.

There was a wee Brazilian boy of about two sitting beside him and he wouldn't take his eyes off it.

My brother took it off and put it on the wee boy and my bruv said, the wee boy was delighted.
Ah.. now you mention it I remember Russ Abbott and all that..

Aww, that's a cute story your bruv the Jimmy hat, and the kid.

Scotland only lost 2-1 to Brazil that day, we were unlucky.

:header:
Vicky

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

Vicky wrote:
Guest wrote:Fud. A rude Scottish word let's see if anyone can guess what it means

Well of course you would know what it means, I was wondering if any non Scots could guess it. Here's another one I heard "Yer granny could cough a cud" That's the English spelling of it lol, maybe you could write it in Scottish and tell us what it means :mrgreen: And smoke like a lum is another one I don't think a non Scot would get

Postby Text » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Vicky wrote:As a Scot i have decided to share the wonderful words and phrases we use here, with everyone.

My Scots word for Monday is..

Tattie-bogle

Spoiler: show

I've picked up a lot of Scottish words on here down the years, naturally. 'Telt' is one of my faves. :laughing:
I also like 'This is beyond our ken'

The only one I dislike is 'boak' which sounds unpleasant, and the meaning is unpleasant too.
And guess what .... 'boak' was the word a guest posted at me recently whilst I was goofing around with another poster, (I don't think the guest liked our banter but in ourdefence, the banter wasn't for guesty's consumption. :gigglesnshit: )

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some new words. :Wiiiine!:
Text

Postby Text » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Or maybe the guest just doesn't like shortbread haha.
Well it's my lifelong favourite biscuit! :smilin:
Text

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Canary wrote:
Vicky wrote:As a Scot i have decided to share the wonderful words and phrases we use here, with everyone.

Tattie-bogle

I've picked up a lot of Scottish words on here down the years, naturally. 'Telt' is one of my faves. :laughing:

The only one I dislike is 'boak' which sounds unpleasant, and the meaning is unpleasant too.
And guess what .... 'boak' was the word a guest posted at me recently whilst I was goofing around with another poster, (I don't think the guest liked our banter but in ourdefence, the banter wasn't for guesty's consumption. :gigglesnshit: )

So the only Scots word you dislike is the word "Boak" Thanks for letting us know that. And the only reason you dislike the word "Boak" is because a poster said you make them "Boak". Fair enough

Postby Vicky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 am

Guest wrote:
Vicky wrote:

Well of course you would know what it means, I was wondering if any non Scots could guess it. Here's another one I heard "Yer granny could cough a cud" That's the English spelling of it lol, maybe you could write it in Scottish and tell us what it means :mrgreen: And smoke like a lum is another one I don't think a non Scot would get

My Da smokes like like a lum.

:ciggie:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:57 am

Here's one for today..

Wallies..

"These new wallies a mine are killing me"

Wallies = False Teeth.
Vicky

Postby Holly » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am

Canary wrote:

Tattie-bogle

Haud yer wheesht! :woteva:

:pmsl:
Holly
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug