Re: Random Stuff Part Eighteen

Big Threads

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm

jp761 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:Browsing on Etsy when I came across a jar of volcanic ash from the 1980 Mt St Helen’s eruption. In the description it said “used”. What did they use it for? :ooer:
Volcanic ash is also used as an abrasive in mechanics paste soap, abrasive hand soaps, and rubber erasers. Very fine ash is used in some toothpaste and powder, and minus-200-mesh ash has been used for polishing plate glass. Volcanic ash could be used instead of powdered pumice whenever the latter material is suitable.

From google..^^ I knew about the rubber eraser side of things. Some toothpaste, is kinda interesting.

In very poor parts of the world ash is used as soap/disinfectant.
Lady Murasaki

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

The sun is out in Mexico!! :twirl: we’ve had a really wet, cloudy couple of days (though cooler so perfect for a visit to chichen itza).
I’ve forgotten my bloody books though :grrrrr:
NastyNickers

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 pm

NastyNickers wrote:The sun is out in Mexico!! :twirl: we’ve had a really wet, cloudy couple of days (though cooler so perfect for a visit to chichen itza).

Kindle on your phone?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Stooo wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:The sun is out in Mexico!! :twirl: we’ve had a really wet, cloudy couple of days (though cooler so perfect for a visit to chichen itza).

Kindle on your phone?

I’m home tomorrow so not much point. I also spoke too soon about the sun, it’s fucking hammering it down, with thunder and lightening over the ocean. :bawlin:
NastyNickers

Postby jp761 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Kindle on your phone?

I’m home tomorrow so not much point. I also spoke too soon about the sun, it’s fucking hammering it down, with thunder and lightening over the ocean. :bawlin:
Heard any convos about walls?

:laughing:
jp761

Postby Text » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Was it one of you lot who took this beating?
After you've recovered from your double vision and emergency eye surgery, go sit on the norty step!
Serves you right for trying to obstruct those lovely, cuddly fox hunters. :pointlaugh:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hu ... h-11510201

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 347&crop=1

Text

Postby Vicky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 am

Broon sauce is the nicest.

Vicky

Postby Nucks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 am

Vicky wrote:Image

Brown I guess, but mayo is nice too. :mrgreen:

On a related note, why are there so many names in the UK for breadlike things you put stuff on? Barm, roll, bun, tea cake, etc? Are they all different things?
Nucks

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 am

Brown sauce on eggs.
Red sauce on bacon.

although horseradish is my favourite on a bacon sandwich with some fried tomatoes....so that's almost red sauce....

Postby Vicky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 am

Canucklehead wrote:
Vicky wrote:Broon sauce is the nicest.

On a related note, why are there so many names in the UK for breadlike things you put stuff on? Barm, roll, bun, tea cake, etc? Are they all different things?

I always say "Roll" but when i went to England to visit my dad's youngest brother, it was "Bap"

Then my aunt would say do you want a glass of "Pop" which we call "Ginger"

It got confusing.

:laughing:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 am

Guest wrote:Brown sauce on eggs.
Red sauce on bacon.

although horseradish is my favourite on a bacon sandwich with some fried tomatoes....so that's almost red sauce....

Broon sauce on cheese.

:grub:
Vicky

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Canucklehead wrote:

I've lived all over the country and my experience is as follows:
The south of England - roll is a bread roll, bap is a soft white roll, bun is a sweet bun with icing on top, tea cake is like a hot cross bun without the cross
The north of England - Stottie is a type of bread loaf, bun is soft white rolls (baps), tea cake same.
Vicky will have to correct me if this next bit is wrong, but when i was in Scotland the soft white roll/bap/bun is called a morning roll, bun was sweet bread or cupcake/muffin.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Vicky wrote:
Red sauce on bacon.

Broon sauce on cheese.

If you like brown sauce on cheese may i recommend worcerstshire sauce on cheese on toast - a little sprinkle is delicious!!!

Postby Nucks » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm

@ guest regarding buns and rolls, thanks :Wiiiine!:

Guest wrote:
Vicky wrote:
Red sauce on bacon.

Broon sauce on cheese.

If you like brown sauce on cheese may i recommend worcerstshire sauce on cheese on toast - a little sprinkle is delicious!!!

I can confirm this. :thumbsup:
Nucks

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Guest wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:

I've lived all over the country and my experience is as follows:
The south of England - roll is a bread roll, bap is a soft white roll, bun is a sweet bun with icing on top, tea cake is like a hot cross bun without the cross
The north of England - Stottie is a type of bread loaf, bun is soft white rolls (baps), tea cake same.
Vicky will have to correct me if this next bit is wrong, but when i was in Scotland the soft white roll/bap/bun is called a morning roll, bun was sweet bread or cupcake/muffin.

Baps are flatter than rolls, I'm pretty sure that they use the same flour as rolls with perhaps a little less yeast? Crusty rolls are entirely different thing and manage to trap the grease in the bottom when you cram them with bacon :drool:

I don't have sauce on my lunchtime bacon bap, I have egg and mushrooms instead :snooty:
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive