Scottish Word Of The Day.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Here's one for today..

Puggy.

"I used to enjoy playing the Puggies when i was younger"

Puggy = Fruit Machine.
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Dimples » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm surprised that "glaikit" hasn't made an appearance yet. :gigglesnshit:
User avatar
Dimples
 
Posts: 13551
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:59 pm
Location: Under his eye

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:46 am

Dimples wrote:I'm surprised that "glaikit" hasn't made an appearance yet. :gigglesnshit:


Aye Glaikit is a good one Dimps.

Here's another one Crabbit.

I'm feeling awfy crabbit this morning because i've got to fast for my hospital appointment.

Image
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:34 pm

What the English think of Scots

User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am

Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby jp761 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 am

Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 am

jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:


Here's one JP.

Loupin..

My arm is loupin because I got my flu jag yesterday.
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby jp761 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:


Here's one JP.

Loupin..

My arm is loupin because I got my flu jag yesterday.
I'll guess at in pain/hurting. I know someone who had that recently, mild flu symptoms followed. It's rare though. I'm sure you'll be fine.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:11 pm

jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:


Here's one JP.

Loupin..

My arm is loupin because I got my flu jag yesterday.
I'll guess at in pain/hurting. I know someone who had that recently, mild flu symptoms followed. It's rare though. I'm sure you'll be fine.


I've been getting it for the last few years and this is the first time it's been sore.

I've never had the flu and from i've been told, it's a terrible thing.
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby jp761 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:


Here's one JP.

Loupin..

My arm is loupin because I got my flu jag yesterday.
I'll guess at in pain/hurting. I know someone who had that recently, mild flu symptoms followed. It's rare though. I'm sure you'll be fine.


I've been getting it for the last few years and this is the first time it's been sore.

I've never had the flu and from i've been told, it's a terrible thing.
Never had the flu, wow, at least you can't get the horrific man flu. :laughing:

I would ask how you qualify to have it, but if you don't want to say on here, no problem.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 7966
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Gabby » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Vicky wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Vicky wrote:Today's word is Shoogle..

"The radio isn't working" "Well give it a good shoogle and see if that helps"

Shoogle = Shake
Shoogle the Wireless. I wonder of old Scottish ladies say this. It sounds good. :mrgreen:


Here's one JP.

Loupin..

My arm is loupin because I got my flu jag yesterday.


Is 'jag' a Scottish word Vicky?...... we say 'jab'! :smilin:
User avatar
Gabby
 
Posts: 16743
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Rammy has two meanings here..

1, An argument or disturbance
2, An empty ginger bottle
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 pm

May I introduce the Torquinian word for bits of ash, dust and other stuff that you can see blowing around in the air? Smitch, as in 'It's a bit smitchy in there' when perhaps you have visited a derelict building. :smilin:
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 86138
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Everywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:32 am

Oxtir!!

Do you shave your oxtirs?

Oxtir = Armpits
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Scottish Word Of The Day.

Postby Vicks » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:01 am

Flit = Moving House

Hunted = Told to get lost

Plank = Sit

Press = Cupboard
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68308
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests