Learning about animals

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:10 pm

21 Facts about Robins (RSPB)

1. Juvenile robins have a brown rather than red breast; they grow the red feathers after their first moult.

2. British robins seldom move far from where they hatched, but many Finnish and Swedish robins migrate to the Mediterranean for the winter.

3. At the end of the Victorian era robin skins became popular adornments for ladies’ hats.

4. Until the early years of the 20th century the robin was usually known as the redbreast.

5. The robin is a member of the thrush family, so is related to the blackbird and the nightingale.

6. Both male and female robins hold their own territories in the winter, so both sexes sing the same winter song.

7. The robin was declared Britain’s National Bird on December 15th, 1960.

8. The first British postmen wore red coats, and gained the nickname of robin or redbreast.

9. Robins are short-lived: the record for longevity is held by a ringed bird that survived until it was over eight.

10. Ringing recoveries of British-ringed robins have shown that the most frequent cause of death is being killed by a cat.

11. Robins not infrequently sing at night, usually under artificial lights. They are often mistaken for nightingales.

12. Most pairs of robins will try and raise as many as three broods of chicks a year, but some mange as many as five.

13. There are scores of birds around the world with the name robin, but few are even distantly related to our bird.

14. Robins breed throughout the British Isles, and occur on almost all of our offshore islands.

15. Each robin has a unique breast pattern, and can (with difficulty) be recognised individually.

16. Robins are omnivorous, eating everything from fruit to spiders.

17. Many attempts have been made to introduce robins to America, Australia and New Zealand. All have failed.

18. Robins will invariably defend their territories from other robins, sometimes fighting to the death.

19. British robins will not enter standard nest boxes with round entrance holes, but they do like open-fronted boxes.

20. Given a choice of any food, most robins like mealworms best of all.

21. British robins are famous for their tameness, but this contrasts with their behaviour on the Continent, where they are shy and generally unapproachable.
McAz

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Very interesting, I remember posting something similar to this myself a while back, may have even been this.

Robins and chaffinches will eat gentles which are dropped on the floor

where an angler sits, they have even perched on my fishing rod and I have thrown gentles to them.
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

Major wrote:Very interesting, I remember posting something similar to this myself a while back, may have even been this.

where an angler sits, they have even perched on my fishing rod and I have thrown gentles to them.

Really? I don't recall your post, starbold - do you have :link: ?
McAz

Postby Markey mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Remember as a kid walking down our farm lane , there was a old slate wall , and you would see hundreds of slow worms , I haven’t seen one for years now , see the odd grass snake in some customers gardens that have ponds , and the odd adder at the yard , but slow worms no
Markey mark

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Markey mark wrote:Remember as a kid walking down our farm lane , there was a old slate wall , and you would see hundreds of slow worms , I haven’t seen one for years now , see the odd grass snake in some customers gardens that have ponds , and the odd adder at the yard , but slow worms no

I hadn't seen a viper in decades, thought they had all but disappeared. But when we moved to Cumbria one of the first things we were warned about as dog owners was to watch out for them. There's more of them than there appears - and they can kill.
McAz

Postby Markey mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:20 pm

I go back to my family on exmoor somtimes , adders are very common on the moor my old Nan was bitten twice in a month picking berries for jam , and at our yard we have a large wood chip pile , have seen the odd adder over the years , used to go crow point in Devon as you cross the sand dunes , there was signs warning dog owner to keep their dogs on lead because of adders bites ,
Markey mark

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Markey mark wrote:I go back to my family on exmoor somtimes , adders are very common on the moor my old Nan was bitten twice in a month picking berries for jam , and at our yard we have a large wood chip pile , have seen the odd adder over the years , used to go crow point in Devon as you cross the sand dunes , there was signs warning dog owner to keep their dogs on lead because of adders bites ,

Lovely place Exmoor - use to visit during my trips to Ilfracombe a long time ago. Too far to go now.
McAz

Postby Markey mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:34 pm

McAz wrote:
Markey mark wrote:I go back to my family on exmoor somtimes , adders are very common on the moor my old Nan was bitten twice in a month picking berries for jam , and at our yard we have a large wood chip pile , have seen the odd adder over the years , used to go crow point in Devon as you cross the sand dunes , there was signs warning dog owner to keep their dogs on lead because of adders bites ,

Lovely place Exmoor - use to visit during my trips to Ilfracombe a long time ago. Too far to go now.

Ifracombe is a lovely place , loverly times there , great times sadly missed
Markey mark

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm

McAz wrote:
Major wrote:Very interesting, I remember posting something similar to this myself a while back, may have even been this.

My forum name is Major, please use it. Stop trying to bait me, you are so obvious.
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Major wrote:
McAz wrote:

My forum name is Major, please use it. Stop trying to bait me, you are so obvious.

Stop trolling, starbold, it has been explained to you many times - these posts refer: :thumbsup:

McAz wrote:If I use a forum name I don't call you by anything other than Major - what are you talking about, starbold? :dunno:

Stooo wrote:If I quote you then I need not to use your honorific, which is why I don't.

But I guess you still don't understand so I've prepared something to help you with your English on this thread:

http://www.thesleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45090&sid=63aca595bf5228ce3807b0d41bfae9eb

I'll bump it for you...
McAz

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:20 pm

As far as Dogs is concerned my 'registered' name is Major and entitled to be referred to as such the same as everyone else. It is deliberate baiting.

'starbold' does not have anything to do with Dogs.

NO BAITING in the 'snug'
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Major wrote:As far as Dogs is concerned my 'registered' name is Major and entitled to be referred to as such the same as everyone else. It is deliberate baiting.

'starbold' does not have anything to do with Dogs.

NO BAITING in the 'snug'

Desist from your trolling starbold - as explained now numerous times the term "starbold" is not being used in place of a name.

Hope this helps:

http://www.thesleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45090&sid=63aca595bf5228ce3807b0d41bfae9eb
McAz

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Yes it is and you are baiting in the snug
Major
Twat.

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Major wrote:
McAz wrote:Desist from your trolling starbold - as explained now numerous times the term "starbold" is not being used in place of a name.

Hope this helps:

Yes it is and you are baiting in the snug

It is helpful? Great. Perhaps now you'll stop trolling then starbold and behave yourself.

Happy to have helped. :cheers:
McAz

Postby Markey mark » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:48 pm

There’s animals that shut their brain in half , like a swift it will not land for few years , it sleep and feed in the air , and when it sleeps the swift brain will shut down by half ,
Markey mark

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug