What is the meaning of Life ?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 am

Keyser wrote:
McAz wrote:And - if I've got this right - we reach an interesting problem if Einstein is correct. That is, the light from anything beyond around 14 billion light years away from us will never reach us since the expansion of the universe is happening faster that the speed of light. So we may never know how big the visible universe is beyond that point by direct observation. This, of course, assumes we are correct in ageing the universe to around 14 billion years old.

Hence the term Observable Universe. :smilin:

So in a stroke we have the size of the universe for humans and other lifeforms bound by 4-dimensional spacetime - 14 biilion light years in any direction (give or take a few hundred million light years). :bawlin:

Well that's one branch of science we can cease giving grants to. :laughing:
Last edited by McAz on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 am

:dunno: In other words you'll NEVER find out ! I'm not against space programs, loved Carl Sagan, but it's true. So yea, less money if there's going to be no result !!
measurer

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:55 am

measurer wrote::dunno: In other words you'll NEVER find out ! I'm not against space programs, loved Carl Sagan, but it's true. So yea, less money if there's going to be no result !!

There are many unforeseen benefits from scientific research though - think I'd rather raise more cash by making the rich pay more and scrapping nonsense like Trident.
McAz

Postby Keyser » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:01 am

measurer wrote::dunno: In other words you'll NEVER find out ! I'm not against space programs, loved Carl Sagan, but it's true. So yea, less money if there's going to be no result !!

The search for knowledge for it's own sake is probably humanities most noble pursuit. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:04 am

McAz wrote:
Keyser wrote:
McAz wrote:And - if I've got this right - we reach an interesting problem if Einstein is correct. That is, the light from anything beyond around 14 billion light years away from us will never reach us since the expansion of the universe is happening faster that the speed of light. So we may never know how big the visible universe is beyond that point by direct observation. This, of course, assumes we are correct in ageing the universe to around 14 billion years old.

So in a stroke we have the size of the universe for humans and other lifeforms bound by 4-dimensional spacetime - 14 biilion light years in any direction (give or take a few hundred million light years). :bawlin:

Well it's still quite big when compared to (for example) your local Morrisons. :mrgreen:
Keyser

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:19 am

Keyser wrote:

The search for knowledge for it's own sake is probably humanities most noble pursuit. :cuppaT:

Big Fat Frosty

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 am

Keyser wrote:
McAz wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Well it's still quite big when compared to (for example) your local Morrisons. :mrgreen:

At a guess I'd say the visible universe was at least three times the size of our local Morrisons but I'll commission some more research and get back to you. :smilin:
McAz

Postby Text » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 pm

I've done a part two for this thread, it's been moved to the Snug, if anyone wants to take a look at it, you're welcome.
Night. x
Text

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Text wrote:I've done a part two for this thread, it's been moved to the Snug, if anyone wants to take a look at it, you're welcome.
Night. x

No Thanks.

:bored:

Postby Dean » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Text wrote:I've done a part two for this thread, it's been moved to the Snug, if anyone wants to take a look at it, you're welcome.
Night. x

It’s a no from me...
Dean

Postby calitom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 pm

calitom

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 pm

calitom wrote:

:Wiiiine!: :pmsl:

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 am

What is the meaning of your life might be a more appropriate question.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Text wrote:Please state your take on it.

Is there a deep meaning or are we all just going thru the motions while waiting for the grim reaper's call. :tradmill:

Apart from sex booze and rock and roll? Drugs for those who partake and art for those who wish to leave a mark, other than that fuck all. So best we just enjoy it as it is not a dress rehearsal.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 pm

McAz wrote:Don't be fooled, there is no meaning beyond forums :ooer:

I get that -- in your case :smilin:
LordRaven
Twat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug