What Are You Drinking Right Now?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: What Are You Drinking Right Now?

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Holly wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I use the zest for my lemon drizzle cake. De luscious!
Obvs not with waxed lemons.

Nice pics Canary, I want that drink.

I have my own lemon tree

Cool. I had a little one from IKEA, in a pot but it only lasted that year.
Wish I had a lemon and orange tree but we don't have the climate like you NZers.

Yes, I guess we are lucky... I have a huge lemon tree, don't know what to do with all those lemons, I keep telling the neighbours they can take as many as they want, as long as they leave me at least 10 on the tree...I also have a big grapefruit tree, can't give them away, no one likes them, including me. The tree was here when we bought the house, so we left it....it's quite decorative looking.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Grapefruit are supposed to be super healthy but I just can't take the bitter taste, I imagine most people can't so that's an unfortunate tree to be stuck with.
I have family out there and they, like you Holly, have inherited fruit trees and bushes which leaves them with lots of fruit they can't give away either.
You have strict laws about plants brought into the country don't you?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Grapefruit are supposed to be super healthy but I just can't take the bitter taste, I imagine most people can't so that's an unfortunate tree to be stuck with.
I have family out there and they, like you Holly, have inherited fruit trees and bushes which leaves them with lots of fruit they can't give away either.

Oh yes, no plants allowed at all...and especially no fruit trees. NZ doesn't have fruit flies, so of course they wouldn't allow anything in.

When I was still living at home ( Austria ) I remember that cherries, plums and apples often had those little white worms, which are the larvae of the fruit fly. Here in NZ, no worms in the fruit.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 am

Holly wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Grapefruit are supposed to be super healthy but I just can't take the bitter taste, I imagine most people can't so that's an unfortunate tree to be stuck with.

Oh yes, no plants allowed at all...and especially no fruit trees. NZ doesn't have fruit flies, so of course they wouldn't allow anything in.

When I was still living at home ( Austria ) I remember that cherries, plums and apples often had those little white worms, which are the larvae of the fruit fly. Here in NZ, no worms in the fruit.

Isn't it to control the vegetative growth? With it being a small land mass?
Also, pets coming in are strictly controlled, or maybe that's Australia.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 am

Slice grapefruit in two.
Sprinkle with brown sugar.
Grill.
Not so bitter now and in fact delicious.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:10 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Slice grapefruit in two.
Grill.

Grapefruit brulea?
Once the sugar layer's gone you're still stuck with the grapefruit underneath. :mrgreen:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:11 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Grill.

Grapefruit brulea?
Once the sugar layer's gone you're still stuck with the grapefruit underneath. :mrgreen:

The sugar melts into the fruit.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:22 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Grill.

Grapefruit brulea?

Not a brûlée then? The sugar solidifies on top of the dessert.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:27 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Grill.

Grapefruit brulea?

Not a brûlée then? The sugar solidifies on top of the dessert.

Grill slowly.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 am

I've just been informed that to get the sugar into the fruit you put a very thin layer of it on then grill it.
Reapt as many times as takes your fancy.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Holly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:31 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Holly wrote:

Yes of course, that too...but just bringing an apple off the plane from Aussie into NZ will cop you a $200 fine. That's how strict they are.

As for pets, well... I had to leave my dog behind when I moved to NZ, I wanted to bring her but it would have meant 6 month in quarantine on some godforsaken island. I didn't want to do that to her, so I left her with my Mum whom she loved to bits anyway, and Mum was over the moon too.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:32 am

It sounds like a faff if you have to keep adding sugar and grilling it, rollup.
But I may try it.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 am

Holly wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Holly wrote:

Yes of course, that too...but just bringing an apple off the plane from Aussie into NZ will cop you a $200 fine. That's how strict they are.

As for pets, well... I had to leave my dog behind when I moved to NZ, I wanted to bring her but it would have meant 6 month in quarantine on some godforsaken island. I didn't want to do that to her, so I left her with my Mum whom she loved to bits anyway, and Mum was over the moon too.

Yes I heard that anything that has seeds is a big no-no.
$200 fine for an apple, wow, you'd never make that mistake twice!

Night. :Hiya:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Holly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I've just been informed that to get the sugar into the fruit you put a very thin layer of it on then grill it.
Reapt as many times as takes your fancy.

Might give it a try Rolly, nothing to lose, I let you know how it goes.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:36 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Holly wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Holly wrote:

Yes I heard that anything that has seeds is a big no-no.
$200 fine for an apple, wow, you'd never make that mistake twice!

Night. :Hiya:

That's for sure.

Nite LM :Hiya:
Holly
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms