McCanns sitting on £750k for "new search"

McCanns sitting on £750k for "new search"

Postby TWAT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:43 pm

But they'll only part with it once the £11 million pounds (and counting..) of public money finally dries up ..

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/m ... 0-11995167
TWAT

Re: McCanns sitting on £750k for "new search"

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Why should it be any different?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:21 am

TWATkins wrote:But they'll only part with it once the £11 million pounds (and counting..) of public money finally dries up ..

And if it were your child you would shut up, give up ???
Cannydc

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 am

I don't think anyone can say how they would have reacted in the same circumstances.

I guess they believe their child is still alive or maybe they just can't live with not knowing, if they have the funds which were given to them freely, then I can't see a reason not to use them for that end.

I know many people say give up, accept that she's dead or at least gone to you forever but how many people could really do that without any form of closure?

It maybe false hope but it is hope and probably all they have to keep themselves and the rest of their family together.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby TWAT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 am

Cannydc wrote:
TWATkins wrote:But they'll only part with it once the £11 million pounds (and counting..) of public money finally dries up ..

Well it's a moot question because if it were my child, I'd have taken more care of them. If it did happen though, i'd crawl over broken glass and deal with the devil himself if it meant finding them. I certainly wouldn't do what these two have done.
TWAT

Postby Cannydc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

TWATkins wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Well it's a moot question because if it were my child, I'd have taken more care of them. If it did happen though, i'd crawl over broken glass and deal with the devil himself if it meant finding them. I certainly wouldn't do what these two have done.

So do you have children ?

And if you do, you had your beady eye on them 24 / 7 ?

ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER.

No parent is perfect, we all make mistakes. Even you.
Cannydc

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:09 am

It's probably the prime example of thinking 'those things don't happen to me, you only hear about it happening to others' we've all thought or said it many times.

This must make their pain doubly worse, yes it was an error of judgement, yes it was a wholly wrong thing to do as it turned out but no-one deserved the outcome or the repercussions, least of all the little girl.

I wonder how many mums or dads have run out of milk say and popped across the road to the local shop, leaving small kids alone for a short while. There for the grace of god goes pretty much everyone.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby TWAT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

Cannydc wrote:
TWATkins wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

This wasn't a "mistake". A mistake is locking your keys inside your car. A mistake is trying to put a library card into a cashpoint.

Choosing to leave your children alone in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country night after night while you went out on a jolly with your mates is neglect.
TWAT

Postby Cannydc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

Trapper John wrote:It's probably the prime example of thinking 'those things don't happen to me, you only hear about it happening to others' we've all thought or said it many times.

This must make their pain doubly worse, yes it was an error of judgement, yes it was a wholly wrong thing to do as it turned out but no-one deserved the outcome or the repercussions, least of all the little girl.

I wonder how many mums or dads have run out of milk say and popped across the road to the local shop, leaving small kids alone for a short while. There for the grace of god goes pretty much everyone.

I've got a lovely example of that. My 2 year old son was having an afternoon nap in his bed, and woke to find mum not there. He opened the front door, walked half a mile into town, crossed a busy road and duly arrived at the shop we owned at the time. The woman working there shut the shop and brought him home.

Mum was at home all the time. She was talking to our elderly neighbour across the back fence. She thought he was still in bed, and was shocked when he arrived home.

So easy. Was she to blame ? The front door was shut (yale lock, but not latched down) but he managed to open it...
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:20 am

TWATkins wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
TWATkins wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

This wasn't a "mistake". A mistake is locking your keys inside your car. A mistake is trying to put a library card into a cashpoint.

Choosing to leave your children alone in an unlocked apartment in a foreign country night after night while you went out on a jolly with your mates is neglect.

And there's the (typical) exaggeration.

It was one night.

They were in sight of the accommodation.

They checked on the kids regularly.

I am not saying they were right to do what they did - but I repeat - no-one is perfect.

(ps you didn't answer whether you would keep your kids under surveillance 24 / 7)
Cannydc

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 am

I watched the BBC documentary about this and right near the end the interviewer was talking to a local boat man who ferries people across the island, he asked him what he thought happened to Madeleine. I can't explain it very well but the way the interviewer questioned him it was like he was asking him what he had done with her. The boatman looked like a deer trapped in the headlights and almost came across as guilty with his replies.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:53 am

Cannydc wrote:
Trapper John wrote:It's probably the prime example of thinking 'those things don't happen to me, you only hear about it happening to others' we've all thought or said it many times.

I've got a lovely example of that. My 2 year old son was having an afternoon nap in his bed, and woke to find mum not there. He opened the front door, walked half a mile into town, crossed a busy road and duly arrived at the shop we owned at the time. The woman working there shut the shop and brought him home.

Mum was at home all the time. She was talking to our elderly neighbour across the back fence. She thought he was still in bed, and was shocked when he arrived home.

So easy. Was she to blame ? The front door was shut (yale lock, but not latched down) but he managed to open it...

Jeez I bet that sent shivers down the spine of you and the missus. I reckon you were stunned, terrified and grateful all at the same time.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

Trapper John wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Jeez I bet that sent shivers down the spine of you and the missus. I reckon you were stunned, terrified and grateful all at the same time.

Spot on.

That door was locked from then on.
Cannydc

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 am

Cannydc wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Spot on.

That door was locked from then on.

I lock my front door all the time with the mortice as well and leave the keys in it, especially when the grandkids stay. They wouldn't be able to undo both locks.

I'd like to say I was being extra protective and careful but the truth is I went to work one night without my keys and came home at 4:00am and couldn't get in. It's not the time to go knocking people up for help, so I spent a very uncomfortable 3 - 4 hours freezing my nuts off in the car.

Now I can't leave unless I undo the door with the keys safely in my hands. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby TWAT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 am

Cannydc wrote:And there's the (typical) exaggeration.

It was one night.

They were in sight of the accommodation.

They checked on the kids regularly.

I am not saying they were right to do what they did - but I repeat - no-one is perfect.

(ps you didn't answer whether you would keep your kids under surveillance 24 / 7)

And there's the typical revisionist version of events.

It wasn't one night, it was every night. It's been well documented, and even repeated by Kate herself, that Madeleine said to her on the morning she disappeared "mummy why didn't you come last night when we were crying".

The resident in apartment above has also confirmed she heard the children crying on different nights.

And while they might have been "in sight" of the accomodation, it was still a near five minute walk to leave the bar and head out to the road to walk back up the hill to get to the flight of stairs that led up to the door.

They also couldn't see their apartment from where they were sitting as well.

I agree you can't keep an eye on children 24/7 but in that scenario they could have.

If you go on holiday with kids, you make allowances. You don't put your social life above their well being.
TWAT

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs