Will we ever become a cashless society?

A right load of bollocks...

Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Nucks » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 am

Would it bother you if we did?

I still use cash quite a bit and have a part time job which I get paid cash for, so I think I would miss it.

Do you think it would cut down on criminal activity, or is it just another push for government control (knowing what, where and how much we spend)?
Nucks

Re: Will we ever become a cashless society?

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:18 am

Nucks wrote:Would it bother you if we did?

I still use cash quite a bit and have a part time job which I get paid cash for, so I think I would miss it.

Do you think it would cut down on criminal activity, or is it just another push for government control (knowing what, where and how much we spend)?

Not only would we be under total control of our governments we would also be at the mercy of private companies who could destroy your life at the press of a button.

It will happen though, probably not in my lifetime, its the kids I worry about purely because they have no concept of what it will do to them.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:42 am

Yes it would bother me. I'm of the generation that would feel strange without cash. I'd definitely miss it.
You can get too reckless with your spending if it's cashless so you'd have to be more vigilant about how you're spending.

Isn't the worst criminal activity theft online atm? People will have to pay extra for safeguarding their money, very clever ploy that.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cleopatra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am

Apparantly, an "app" has been developed that allows "sources" to "access and read" your bank account, in order to "sweep" excess cash into a savings account so that you don't "waste it". I find that horrifying and have warned my lot (who seem to be into "apps" ) to go nowhere near it. I don't like this contactless card malarkey much either. It'll be fingerprints to pay for stuff next.
Cleopatra

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am

How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:
Vam

Postby Cleopatra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am

Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:

It will be all robots and automatons by then, Vam. Cabs will be driver-less etc. Not an appetising thought for the future, really.
Cleopatra

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51 am

Cleopatra wrote:
Vam wrote:How in hell would we tip cabbies/hairdressers/waiters, etc? Would they be expected to have their own personal card machines? :ooer:

It will be all robots and automatons by then, Vam. Cabs will be driver-less etc. Not an appetising thought for the future, really.

Do you think an automaton will be able to compute "I'd like my steak bleu, please"? :mrgreen:
Vam

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am

Cleopatra wrote:

Apparantly, an "app" has been developed that allows "sources" to "access and read" your bank account, in order to "sweep" excess cash into a savings account so that you don't "waste it". I find that horrifying and have warned my lot (who seem to be into "apps" ) to go nowhere near it. I don't like this contactless card malarkey much either. It'll be fingerprints to pay for stuff next.

I dislike contactless too, my last bankcard I asked for it not to be - they said it wasn't possible, all new cards are contactless. We will never have any choice it will always be just lumped on us.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Cleopatra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 am

Vam wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

Do you think an automaton will be able to compute "I'd like my steak bleu, please"? :mrgreen:

I actually think we will start to go backwards at some point. Full circle, as it were, back to basics, as we run out of resources. The service industry is pretty much all we will have left soon. A trip into a town centre these days is all about lunch, coffee, etc. Not much shopping and few shops. Not that I'm complaining about online shopping. But it does feel very indulgent and sometimes I'm sure I can feel the delivery driver thinking "lazy bugger". :mrgreen:
Cleopatra

Postby Cleopatra » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 am

Trapper John wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

I dislike contactless too, my last bankcard I asked for it not to be - they said it wasn't possible, all new cards are contactless. We will never have any choice it will always be just lumped on us.

And as for self-service tills !
Cleopatra

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am

Cleopatra wrote:
Vam wrote:
Cleopatra wrote:

I actually think we will start to go backwards at some point. Full circle, as it were, back to basics, as we run out of resources. The service industry is pretty much all we will have left soon. A trip into a town centre these days is all about lunch, coffee, etc. Not much shopping and few shops. Not that I'm complaining about online shopping. But it does feel very indulgent and sometimes I'm sure I can feel the delivery driver thinking "lazy bugger". :mrgreen:

I'm pretty sure the delivery driver is glad of the employment. :thumbsup:

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am

Cleopatra wrote:
Vam wrote:

:mrgreen: ... I think it's more likely the delivery driver would be grateful to still have a job. Unless, of course, companies like Amazon start using them drone thingies to lob parcels down on us from the sky!

I'd hate not having cash on me. Always avoid using a card for anything under 30€, because of the admin charges the retailer is liable for.
Vam

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:25 am

you're all annoying me a bit with your passive fatal acceptance. there are more of us than there are of them, stand up for yourselves.

we won't become a cashless society, too many minority groups are reliant on cash for it to fully change. travellers, for instance, are mainly cash only. it would be a breach of human rights to force people who have traditionally lived that way to become cashless.

Postby Rockstar » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am

Fuck Cashless...The fucking bastards in government and banks dictating how much one can withdraw/pay/carry our own hard earned cash...

Cash is King....And long it may reign!
Rockstar

Postby Vam » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

Guest wrote:you're all annoying me a bit with your passive fatal acceptance. there are more of us than there are of them, stand up for yourselves.

we won't become a cashless society, too many minority groups are reliant on cash for it to fully change. travellers, for instance, are mainly cash only. it would be a breach of human rights to force people who have traditionally lived that way to become cashless.

Fair points, but I'm seeing this thread as a bit of "what if...?" speculation.

If cashless were ever to be foisted on us, there's no doubt there'd be widespread protests everywhere.
Vam

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms