OXFAM sex exploitation

OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:11 am

OXFAM (an increasingly leftwing politicised organisation) is in an existential crisis as its workers have been exposed as abusing vulnerable people during aid operations. Vile.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am

Some kind of evidence would be nice.
User avatar
Raggamuffin
 
Posts: 29824
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 am

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-43020875

Its on pretty much every frontpage and online news outlet.

There workers been at it in chad and haiti (so far). Sex and child abuse.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Cannydc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:21 pm

Exploiting prostitutes ?

Who was exploiting who, here ?

There was no mention of child abuse in your link.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 12039
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby malamute » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

This is why I dont give money to huge charities like Oxfam. Most of them are bent.

I only give to local charities where I can actually see how my donation is used. I take bags of horse feed to a horse sanctuary and my OH takes bales of hay at Xmas. I also volunteered for 16 years with a charity for kids with special needs.
User avatar
malamute
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Trapper John » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:53 pm

malamute wrote:This is why I dont give money to huge charities like Oxfam. Most of them are bent.

I only give to local charities where I can actually see how my donation is used. I take bags of horse feed to a horse sanctuary and my OH takes bales of hay at Xmas. I also volunteered for 16 years with a charity for kids with special needs.


I'm with you, I don't contribute to big charitable organisations. There is just something very unwholesome about the begging adverts they toss about like confetti trying to make people feel guilty about not being a starving pauper with a limited lifespan, whilst raking in six figure salaries and paying on the ground aid workers a grand a week.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 35973
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Cannydc » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Trapper John wrote:
malamute wrote:This is why I dont give money to huge charities like Oxfam. Most of them are bent.

I only give to local charities where I can actually see how my donation is used. I take bags of horse feed to a horse sanctuary and my OH takes bales of hay at Xmas. I also volunteered for 16 years with a charity for kids with special needs.


I'm with you, I don't contribute to big charitable organisations. There is just something very unwholesome about the begging adverts they toss about like confetti trying to make people feel guilty about not being a starving pauper with a limited lifespan, whilst raking in six figure salaries and paying on the ground aid workers a grand a week.


Absolutely.

And beware, if you dare to donate with a credit card, they sell off your contact details and you get deluged with begging letters and phone calls.

I just stick a few quid into the Lifeboat box, and as an ex-serviceman I donate to their charities.
User avatar
Cannydc
 
Posts: 12039
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Mekon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm

Oxfam is a fine organization which can be proud of its achievements.
User avatar
Mekon
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby malamute » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am

Theres a whole lot more in the papers today about Oxfam. It seems they do not DBS check the volunteers in their shops and there have been many cases of staff assaulting young volunteers.

I can see this affecting Oxfam donations badly.
User avatar
malamute
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm

malamute wrote:Theres a whole lot more in the papers today about Oxfam. It seems they do not DBS check the volunteers in their shops and there have been many cases of staff assaulting young volunteers.

I can see this affecting Oxfam donations badly.


Yes, I think you are right about the donations being hit as the recent revelations are potentially very serious.

However, it is worth remembering that Oxfam have done, and I hope will continue to do, some amazing humanitarian work.

I also see that some people are using this story as a way to try and attack all foreign aid which is a bit rubbish.
User avatar
Avon Barksdale
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Troll Central

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Oxfam seems to be a vehicle for finding useful stuff for graduates to do.
Yes its done lots of good stuff but the child abuse claims in devastated areas is not new.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Oxfam seems to be a vehicle for finding useful stuff for graduates to do.
Yes its done lots of good stuff but the child abuse claims in devastated areas is not new.


Yeah, sadly it isn't a new phenomenon.

Where you have poverty and vulnerability you have exploitation.
User avatar
Avon Barksdale
 
Posts: 8143
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Troll Central

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Lambert » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

So some Oxfam employees used prostitutes 7 years ago. Big deal. The allegations of abuse and coercion are a different matter, but the prostitute thing is of absolutely no consequence.
User avatar
Lambert
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 am

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:02 pm

'You could still smell the bodies in the air, but on a clear night you could look up at one of the few remaining buildings which hadn’t been torn down by the tsunami, see the twinkling of fairy lights and hear the clinking of bottles. Oxfam had made their office in this building, and on the roof they had set up a bar, where aid workers from all the other organisations would flock to drink the night away before, invariably, getting together with someone from another agency.'

Telegraph exposee from an aid worker, recounting in this instance the tsunami in indonesia 2004

These OXFAM workers head off on these 'missions' primarily on a jolly. Sick
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: OXFAM sex exploitation

Postby Lambert » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Guest wrote:'You could still smell the bodies in the air, but on a clear night you could look up at one of the few remaining buildings which hadn’t been torn down by the tsunami, see the twinkling of fairy lights and hear the clinking of bottles. Oxfam had made their office in this building, and on the roof they had set up a bar, where aid workers from all the other organisations would flock to drink the night away before, invariably, getting together with someone from another agency.'

Telegraph exposee from an aid worker, recounting in this instance the tsunami in indonesia 2004

These OXFAM workers head off on these 'missions' primarily on a jolly. Sick


Is there a rule that says aid workers shouldn't drink alcohol in their spare time?
User avatar
Lambert
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 am

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests