Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Last chapter of Will Durant's Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time. Will be starting Mary Beard's Women & Power a manifesto.
art0hur0moh

Postby malamute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Just finished reading The Woman Next Door by Cass Green. Good read if you like suspense thrillers.

Halfway through Finding Peggy about life in Rough Glasgow areas in the 1950s.
malamute

Postby malamute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:"Not in your genes" by Oliver James.
He's a clever lad but I don't agree with him, he's saying the way we are is entirely to do with our upbringing, that no one is born good/bad etc.
I firmly believe we are a combination of nature and nurture.
So there, Oliver. :snooty:

I know lots of people who had very poor upbringings and have turned into really lovely, well educated people.

One example is my son's best mate who had a horrible homelife. His father bullied him, his brothers and his wife and then moved his fancy woman into their house and made his wife sleep in the spare room. He showed no interest in their schooling and would never allow the boys to go on school outings or Trips.

He was a very bright lad though and went to Uni and now has a top academic post at a university in New Zealand and is the loveliest chap you could ever wish to meet.
malamute

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 pm

malamute wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:"Not in your genes" by Oliver James.
He's a clever lad but I don't agree with him, he's saying the way we are is entirely to do with our upbringing, that no one is born good/bad etc.
I firmly believe we are a combination of nature and nurture.
So there, Oliver. :snooty:

I know lots of people who had very poor upbringings and have turned into really lovely, well educated people.

One example is my son's best mate who had a horrible homelife. His father bullied him, his brothers and his wife and then moved his fancy woman into their house and made his wife sleep in the spare room. He showed no interest in their schooling and would never allow the boys to go on school outings or Trips.

He was a very bright lad though and went to Uni and now has a top academic post at a university in New Zealand and is the loveliest chap you could ever wish to meet.

Same here. Poverty or hardship doesn't have to be a barrier.
Some people have that inner drive to make the best of their life despite their upbringing.
I saw a programme about Chinese twins who were adopted at birth separately and went to live in different countries with different families. When they were reconciled years later the similarities in their personalities was blatant. So there has to be something in our genes that makes us who we are.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Vicky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm reading the latest Agatha Raisin book at the moment, my brother bought me it for Christmas.

It's very good, but then all of Aggie's adventures are.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:07 am

I've just finished reading "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard.

Jaycee was abducted on her way to school when she was eleven and wasn't seen again, until she was twenty-nine years old.

Peadohile Phillip Garrido repeatedly raped Jaycee and told her that by doing it to her, she was saving others from being hurt.

His wife Nancy knew all about what was happening to Jaycee, she even helped kidnap her.

Jaycee gave birth twice while she was imprisoned with the Garrido's, first when she was fourteen and again, when she was seventeen.

Finally the Garrido's were arrested, when Phillip had to visit his parole officer and his secret life caught up with him.

Jaycee and her daughters (Angel and Starlite) were reunited with Jaycee's mum.

Phillip Garrido was sentenced to 431 years in jail.

Nancy Garrido was sentenced to 37 years in jail.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:35 am

Jaycee and her mum.
Vicky

Postby malamute » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:46 pm

Ive just finished a book about Life on an Irish Hillside which looked good but was actually rather dull.

I read a really good book about a guy who went to live in Romania about 15 years ago when it was like stepping back in time. i enjoyed that. Had no idea who he was and he gave nothing much away in his book but I googled him and he was very well off and a friend of Prince Charles which explains why he could just up sticks, not work and enjoy life in a different country.
malamute

Postby Punk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 pm

I've been reading a few books on shell shock and women in WW1. Horrific accounts. Truly horrific.
Punk

Postby malamute » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Just started Billie Joe by Kimberley Chambers. I heard KC being interviewed on the radio and she sounded interesting. Bit like Martina Cole style.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Friends Request by Laura Marshall.

Years after leaving school, Louise gets a friends request on Facebook from Maria, a girl she was at school with

But Maria's been dead for twenty five years.
Vicky

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 am

finished Mary Beard's Women and Power. Insightful! Currently reading Living Rich by Mark Morgan Ford. 5 chapters in and I have learned what most good mothers know. Difference between a house and home, a rudimentary insight how each room should function. Even basics like getting rid of pillows every two years! Though I don't drive an insight into what car to by. I can see this book becoming my bible over the next year.

Probably things most of you know already? For me a pleasure to learn and understand with comprehension!
art0hur0moh

Postby malamute » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Just started my third Kimberley Chambers book. Theyre similar to Martina Cole, full of East End criminals, twists in the tail and some rude stuff! :gigglesnshit:

I have about 2 dozen books on my bedside table that ai need to work my way through as well.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:12 pm

I've been reading "Caught in the CrossFire" about the feuding Lyons and Daniel families in Glasgow.

Both families have been trying to control the drug in the city for years and the feud has led to murders, attempted murders, shootings, stabbings and abductions.

Kevin "Gerbil" Carroll was a main player and was on the Daniels side.

Gerbil was described as the most violent man in Scotland and had this great idea that if he bought all the guns in Glasgow, nobody could shot him.

Just incase someone shot him with one of the few guns he hadn't bought, he always wore a bullet proof vest.

He was shot dead in an Asda carpark, his killers shit him 13 times in the head.

The police had a list of 99 people who wanted Gerbil dead.

It's an interesting read.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Oh and I'm reading it on my Kindle (Even though I don't like Kindle books) because the only book version for sale on Amazon cost £143.00
Vicky

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug