The Cloverfield Paradox

The Cloverfield Paradox

Postby Trapper John » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 am

Anyone seen it yet? it's another Netflix exclusive. I thought it was a series but it's a one off film.

I think the 'paradox' here is (as with Cloverfield lane) the appendage of 'Cloverfield' to these films when they have so little similarity to the original except a backdrop story which features little.

Anyway this one starts out reasonably well and gets better as it goes along reaching a point midway where you think this is well good. Then it all turns to shit, the storyline gets lazy, too much has no conclusion or apparent reason why it has anything to do with anything. :dunno:

The worst of the laziness comes in the main characters storyline, she says she needs to do something when clearly even a kid could tell her 'no you don't you can just........' anyway I won't spoil it in case you watch it.

Maybe I've done it a disservice, I've seen a lot worse and it is good 'til half way so it's worth a watch just for that but don't be expecting too much from the ending or breaking any other plans you might have, just to watch it.

Spoiler: show
The bit I'm talking about with the woman is, she makes this big decision to go to the alternative earth, just to warn her 'other self' not to burn the house down but her supposed bestest mate in that alternative world is going back anyway, so why not just ask her to tell her other self?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: The Cloverfield Paradox

Postby mavis cruet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:51 pm

:Hiya: I watched it a few days ago, agree with your points but i only ever see these as an 'easy popcorn' watch really. Apparently they have already made films 4 and 5!. Basically, brain in not required :smilin: Still worth a watch but not something that stays in your mind.
Thinking of watching Atomic Blonde next.
mavis cruet

Postby Dean » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Trapper John wrote:Anyone seen it yet? it's another Netflix exclusive. I thought it was a series but it's a one off film.

I think the 'paradox' here is (as with Cloverfield lane) the appendage of 'Cloverfield' to these films when they have so little similarity to the original except a backdrop story which features little.

Anyway this one starts out reasonably well and gets better as it goes along reaching a point midway where you think this is well good. Then it all turns to shit, the storyline gets lazy, too much has no conclusion or apparent reason why it has anything to do with anything. :dunno:

The worst of the laziness comes in the main characters storyline, she says she needs to do something when clearly even a kid could tell her 'no you don't you can just........' anyway I won't spoil it in case you watch it.

Maybe I've done it a disservice, I've seen a lot worse and it is good 'til half way so it's worth a watch just for that but don't be expecting too much from the ending or breaking any other plans you might have, just to watch it.

The bit I'm talking about with the woman is, she makes this big decision to go to the alternative earth, just to warn her 'other self' not to burn the house down but her supposed bestest mate in that alternative world is going back anyway, so why not just ask her to tell her other self?

It isn’t a stand alone film as such, it’s set in the same universe as the two previous Cloverfield films so is supposedly the third film in the franchise. I thought it was a bag of shit if I’m honest. 10 Cloverfield Lane was watchable, the first Cloverfield wasn’t very good...
Dean

Postby Nucks » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Dean wrote:
It isn’t a stand alone film as such, it’s set in the same universe as the two previous Cloverfield films so is supposedly the third film in the franchise. I thought it was a bag of shit if I’m honest. 10 Cloverfield Lane was watchable, the first Cloverfield wasn’t very good...

The first one is okay as long as you have some anti-nausea medication at hand for the dodgy camerawork.
Nucks

Postby Old Pennywise » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

So it has nothing to do with the original?
How long are they going to troll fans before they outright say there will be no direct sequel :woteva: .

Thanks for the heads up. Think I will take it off my watch list.
Old Pennywise

Postby Trapper John » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 am

Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Anyone seen it yet? it's another Netflix exclusive. I thought it was a series but it's a one off film.

Yeah I understand that but hey, you could say that about any film, like for instance saying Apocalypse Now, The Deerhunter, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Hamburger Hill are all sequels/prequels because they are set in Vietnam and fighting the same enemy.

I thought the first Cloverfield was better the second time I watched it, Cloverfield Lane I fell asleep, this latest one just left me cold with it's poor, lazy ending.

Like I said earlier, anyone expecting anything remotely like the original because of the appendage 'Cloverfield' is gonna be very disappointed but then they should expect that I suppose coz they must have been with Cloverfield Lane as well.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Return to TV And Radio