Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Postby jp761 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:23 pm

I love a nice piece of tech, chat about what you already own and anything you have your eye on. Tech questions and purchasing advice can also be posted here, TVs, Blu-ray players, Hi-Fi etc And I guess computer purchasing advice and tech questions can be posted here as well. Some people on Dogs know a lot about computers, me not so much, my bag is more TVs etc

I'm getting one of these soon. Image Ruark Audio R1 MK3, dab radio, alarm, built in bluetooth etc And great sound for a mono speaker.
jp761

Re: Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Postby McAz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:30 pm

I have a pair of Ruark MR1 Mk2 linked to a Yamaha sub-woofer. They are wonderful.
McAz

Postby jp761 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:38 pm

McAz wrote:I have a pair of Ruark MR1 Mk2 linked to a Yamaha sub-woofer. They are wonderful.
Nice one. I was going for the R2, but on my bedside cabinet it would be overkill there would be no room left. This thread may help some people realise what's out there.

Some people only know about the mainstream manufacturers Sony, Panasonic, and the like.
jp761

Postby Stooo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:42 pm

My phone is exactly how I want it thanks to Nova Launcher, Tasker and a few other things. I'm simply amazed at the fact that the radio/CD player/alarm clock is now a highly polished Nexus 7 tablet. I've got an unused spycam and a drone and a decent pair of Sony headphones, I think that I'm doing ok without VR.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jp761 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Stooo wrote:My phone is exactly how I want it thanks to Nova Launcher, Tasker and a few other things. I'm simply amazed at the fact that the radio/CD player/alarm clock is now a highly polished Nexus 7 tablet. I've got an unused spycam and a drone and a decent pair of Sony headphones, I think that I'm doing ok without VR.
That is cool, the Nexus 7 must be about 5 years old now. I guess it's also hard-wearing, they were a massive hit when they first came out. You're right you have no need to change it.
jp761

Postby McAz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Stooo wrote:My phone is exactly how I want it thanks to Nova Launcher, Tasker and a few other things. I'm simply amazed at the fact that the radio/CD player/alarm clock is now a highly polished Nexus 7 tablet. I've got an unused spycam and a drone and a decent pair of Sony headphones, I think that I'm doing ok without VR.

Nova Launcher - as old as the hills but still the dogs...I use it on both our Android devices.
McAz

Postby Stooo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:15 pm

jp761 wrote:
That is cool, the Nexus 7 must be about 5 years old now. I guess it's also hard-wearing, they were a massive hit when they first came out. You're right you have no need to change it.

Mine's a 2013 model and not rooted, it does all that I need it to do. I get four or five days between charges. My phone is pretty tight for a 2014 OPO, it's cased and has an decent screen protector and not much of the 64 GB onboard used.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 pm

McAz wrote:

Nova Launcher - as old as the hills but still the dogs...I use it on both our Android devices.

Have you used Tasker?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:

Have you used Tasker?

No - I'll take a look.
McAz

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:29 am

I recently bought three PC's and the one I sit here with is one of those all in one things.
It's a screen on a stand with the pc built into the back of the screen.
No wires no separate bits.
No good if you like to physically add stuff apart from more memory but a great piece of kit for what it's used for.

A simple MIDI keyboard.
49 keys 5 octave changes which makes it more than 49 keys.
Just under 70 quid.
It has no onboard sounds.
It has no speakers.
It's useless without a computer of some kind to plug it into.
It looks like any other black and white piano style keyboard.
The sounds are whatever MIDI patches I have stored in pc software.
Meaning the sounds I have are almost limitless.
The manipulation of any sound is almost limitless and playable on the keys.
Lot of software for turning all my sound design and creation into some kind of music.
Other than this I'm not really a fan of high tech anything else.
I am going to have to bow down to getting a modern mobile pretty soon though.
I won't be paying eight hundred quid though or any other silly price for a phone.

Recently bought another telly.
Gone from one old fashioned one that I was perfectly happy with but got a flat thin was as a present which has led to a growth in numbers of them but not a growth in the hours they are watched.
Large and pointless really.
Hardly ever switched on.

My next purchases will be a good microphone as singing is becoming essential for the continuation of my musical hobby and some decent speakers.
The singing will also and more importantly be good physical medicine for a man with COPD.
Gotta do it now while I still can and exercise those lungs while I still can.

I won't be getting devices around the house that I can talk to and they talk back ... what a nightmare!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:34 am

The VR headset I talked about recently.
Grandson asked if he could flog it after a short time.
Bored silly with it.
Swapped it for a very nice mountain bike.
Much more sensible around here.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Trapper John » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 am

Bit boring for some but if you've ever had to saw up copious amounts of wood like I have, several decking projects amongst them, it is a real boon.

Have too admit I was sceptical about it's practical usefulness but once I got one and worked out the best way of using it, it was fantastic and never again did I have to stop because of my arm aching to the point of dropping off. I think it's called the B&D Scorpion over here.

phpBB [video]
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:33 am

yea ive got one of them handy bit of kit
the black metal blade is really good for cutting laminate smoothly
just had a joiner in fixing my bottom 2 stairs
he used one of them bone saws to chop out the rot
that had spread to the side runner
i was very impressed with it
might have to get one
:thumbsup:

Big Fat Frosty

Postby Trapper John » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 am

Big Fat Frosty wrote:yea ive got one of them handy bit of kit
the black metal blade is really good for cutting laminate smoothly
just had a joiner in fixing my bottom 2 stairs
he used one of them bone saws to chop out the rot
that had spread to the side runner
i was very impressed with it
might have to get one
:thumbsup:

Not seen one of them before. There was a time when I would buy every labour saving or useful gadget I saw. Years of collecting them though and rarely if ever using them again, have put a stop to that. :smilin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Nucks » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 am

Wouldn’t mind giving a VR headset a whirl. I’ve seen so many YouTube clips where people get totally caught up and break furniture or accidentally smack someone in the face. :gigglesnshit:
Nucks

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug