Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm

I've got one of these arriving Monday. I destroyed the charging port on my JCB speaker by dropping it :roll:

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jay Jay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:10 pm

I should really upgrade my old Technics hifi stack system.
Still makes the flat rock when I whack on some Anthrax. :leer:
Jay Jay

Postby Rockstar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:40 pm

Stooo wrote:I've got one of these arriving Monday. I destroyed the charging port on my JCB speaker by dropping it :roll:

I swear by Anker. I own Anker power bank and car charger...Good brand...
Rockstar

Postby Bella » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm

I have 2 Sonos ones, they are nice enough :smilin:
But, not like the heavy bass I had in my younger days that frightened the neighbors :shame:
Bella

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Stooo wrote:I've got one of these arriving Monday. I destroyed the charging port on my JCB speaker by dropping it :roll:

I'm using an old Trendwoo that has to be plugged in a lot because of a battery cycle that lasted for about a year and a half :roll:

I'll let you know how I get on with it :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jp761 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:01 pm

The amount of 5 star reviews on amazon for this thing is staggering.

It looks good.
jp761

Postby jp761 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Jay Jay wrote:I should really upgrade my old Technics hifi stack system.
Well back in the day Techincs gear had pretty awesome sound as you know. :thumbsup:
jp761

Postby jra » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:15 pm

jp761 wrote:
Well back in the day Techincs gear had pretty awesome sound as you know. :thumbsup:

Technics are good for vari-speed vinyl turntables that DJs use, as they are durable, not so much because of their sound IMO. Back then you'd do better to go for a Linn, Naim, Rega, Audiolab, Mission/Cyrus type equipment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rega+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=136 ... YbSHMTpZKY

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=audio ... e&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=Kk_K ... coR_cLLCD8
jra

Postby jp761 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:28 pm

jra wrote:
jp761 wrote:

Technics are good for vari-speed vinyl turntables that DJs use, as they are durable, not so much because of their sound IMO. Back then you'd do better to go for a Linn, Naim, Rega, Audiolab, Mission/Cyrus type equipment.

Once upon a time they had a good rep for sound quality, I'm pretty sure of that(I've read a fair bit about them) but can't be certain, I wasn't massively into tech when Techincs were a big name.
jp761

Postby jra » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 am

jp761 wrote:
jra wrote:
jp761 wrote:

Once upon a time they had a good rep for sound quality, I'm pretty sure of that(I've read a fair bit about them) but can't be certain, I wasn't massively into tech when Techincs were a big name.

Sven Vath swears by Technics vari-speed turntables and was gutted when they stopped production.

When he heard that Technics were discontinuing manufacture of their renowned SL-1200 turntables he likened it to a pianist being told there would be no more grand pianos made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_V%C3%A4th#Vinyl

As for mixing decks etc, Pioneer is the go to IMO these days.

Vinyl decks in terms of Djing are going to get a hammering by use, so your Michell etc. which need to have a lot of TLC aren't going to last the distance. They will last a long time, but in a home environment looked after carefully.
jra

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:29 am

Rockstar wrote:

Yeah, very good value for money. I have a power core thing myself and a bluetooth keyboard which is about three years old now which we hook up to an Ipad and which performs very well to this day.

jra wrote:As for mixing decks etc, Pioneer is the go to IMO these days.

Don't know about mixing decks but I have a Pioneer plasma screen which is now about 12 years old which has great sound and still is going strong. I have, over the years, asked the family whether I should change it and the answer has been a resounding no!

Buy cheap, pay twice.

I'll probably get a projector when we do eventually upgrade though.
Avon Barksdale

Postby jp761 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:19 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Yeah, very good value for money. I have a power core thing myself and a bluetooth keyboard which is about three years old now which we hook up to an Ipad and which performs very well to this day.

Don't know about mixing decks but I have a Pioneer plasma screen which is now about 12 years old which has great sound and still is going strong. I have, over the years, asked the family whether I should change it and the answer has been a resounding no!

Buy cheap, pay twice.

The sublime Pioneer Kuro? Not sure if the 12 year date fits though. But the Kuro is one of the very best TVs ever made, it has one of the best pictures ever produced on a commercial TV.

Pioneer were also great plasma's generally.
jp761

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:04 pm

jp761 wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Buy cheap, pay twice.

The sublime Pioneer Kuro? Not sure if the 12 year date fits though. But the Kuro is one of the very best TVs ever made, it has one of the best pictures ever produced on a commercial TV.

No, it's a Pure Vision (the Kuro came a few years later I believe.)

I bought it to watch the 2006 World Cup and I was living in a little first floor flat off the Jamaica Road in Southwark at the time with Mrs Barksdale. The picture was so clear that one of my neighbours in a house opposite used to stick his head out of a window and watch some of the games at the same time as he could see it from across the street!

I guess if it breaks down I will have to get rid of it as parts / labour are probably uneconomic to source but it shows little sign of doing so yet.
Avon Barksdale

Postby jp761 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Buy cheap, pay twice.

I bought it to watch the 2006 World Cup and I was living in a little first floor flat off the Jamaica Road in Southwark at the time with Mrs Barksdale. The picture was so clear that one of my neighbours in a house opposite used to stick his head out of a window and watch some of the games at the same time as he could see it from across the street!

I guess if it breaks down I will have to get rid of it as parts / labour are probably uneconomic to source but it shows little sign of doing so yet.
Is it a 42 incher?
jp761

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:34 pm

jp761 wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

Buy cheap, pay twice.

Is it a 42 incher?

43"

Yeah, it seems a little strange to me as well...
Avon Barksdale

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug