Holidays and travel.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Dimples » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 pm

The usual "Golden Triangle" tour of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur... then onto Goa. :smilin:
Dimples

Postby Rockstar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:33 am

Dimples wrote:The usual "Golden Triangle" tour of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur... then onto Goa. :smilin:

:brickwall:

If it was your first visit to India,then I'd forgive you....There are tons of places better than Delhi and Goa....

Try Coorg,Munnar,Gokarna,Mahableshwar,Tarkarli,Darjeeling,Mount Abu,Rishikesh,Gir Forest,Corbett,etc etc
Rockstar

Postby Dimples » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Dimples wrote:The usual "Golden Triangle" tour of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur... then onto Goa. :smilin:

If it was your first visit to India,then I'd forgive you....There are tons of places better than Delhi and Goa....

Try Coorg,Munnar,Gokarna,Mahableshwar,Tarkarli,Darjeeling,Mount Abu,Rishikesh,Gir Forest,Corbett,etc etc

I'm sure you're right... but we opted to do the classic tour as a first venture. I didn't mind Delhi at all, although we didn't see as much of it as we had hoped. Unfortunately our travel plans were badly disrupted by the snow we had at the beginning of March, so we missed 36 hours of the start of our holiday.

I wasn't too enchanted with Jaipur - with the exception of the Amber Fort, although it was utterly mobbed! The think that put me off Jaipur a little is that I think it was there that we contracted a gastro-intestinal bug. After consulting our fellow travellers, we think we narrowed it down to one specific thing which four of us had eaten but the others had not. The four of us who ate it all ended up feeling unwell.

Sadly this meant that we were feeling very dodgy indeed when we flew to Goa... and we did not feel right for the entire time we were in Goa. We didn't even leave our hotel until our last day, so I have no idea if Goa is lovely or not! :gigglesnshit:

We did love India though. Lovely people, amazing sights, fabulous food - apart from Seviyaan, that is! :wink:

The Taj Mahal was one of the high spots for us... as indeed was the Chand Baori step well, which completely blew us away!

Plenty to see on a future trip though. :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby Jobless Oddball. » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Dimples wrote:I'm sure you're right... but we opted to do the classic tour as a first venture. I didn't mind Delhi at all, although we didn't see as much of it as we had hoped. Unfortunately our travel plans were badly disrupted by the snow we had at the beginning of March, so we missed 36 hours of the start of our holiday.

I wasn't too enchanted with Jaipur - with the exception of the Amber Fort, although it was utterly mobbed! The think that put me off Jaipur a little is that I think it was there that we contracted a gastro-intestinal bug. After consulting our fellow travellers, we think we narrowed it down to one specific thing which four of us had eaten but the others had not. The four of us who ate it all ended up feeling unwell.

Sadly this meant that we were feeling very dodgy indeed when we flew to Goa... and we did not feel right for the entire time we were in Goa. We didn't even leave our hotel until our last day, so I have no idea if Goa is lovely or not! :gigglesnshit:

Is it a bit unclean out in that neck of the woods????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Jobless Oddball.

Postby Rockstar » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Dimples wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

I'm sure you're right... but we opted to do the classic tour as a first venture. I didn't mind Delhi at all, although we didn't see as much of it as we had hoped. Unfortunately our travel plans were badly disrupted by the snow we had at the beginning of March, so we missed 36 hours of the start of our holiday.

We did love India though. Lovely people, amazing sights, fabulous food - apart from Seviyaan, that is! :wink:

The Taj Mahal was one of the high spots for us... as indeed was the Chand Baori step well, which completely blew us away!

I'm sorry that you fell ill on your trip....Not the first time a westerner having gastro problems in India though... :ooer:

Taj Mahal is well,fantastic....Is Seviyaan the veg gravy thing or the sweet dish?
Rockstar

Postby Dimples » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Jobless Oddball. wrote:
Dimples wrote:I'm sure you're right... but we opted to do the classic tour as a first venture. I didn't mind Delhi at all, although we didn't see as much of it as we had hoped. Unfortunately our travel plans were badly disrupted by the snow we had at the beginning of March, so we missed 36 hours of the start of our holiday.

Is it a bit unclean out in that neck of the woods????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well, some places have a bit of reputation for being a little dirty, JO... but that's mostly due to lack of infrastructure and amenities. That said, we were certainly being ferried around to fairly smart places, so we were sheltered from much of that reality. You still do get an idea of the poverty and lack of basic organisation in some places though.

I have to say though that as far as experiences go, there are few places I have visited which are so vibrant, noisy, chaotic and overwhelming as India. Even just a half-hoor drive through a city in India will show you commonplace activity which would never be seen here... such as a family of four - plus a live chicken - riding on a motor scooter... and the person sitting on the pillion seat is a lady in a sari, sitting sidesaddle! :pmsl:
Dimples

Postby Dimples » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Rockstar wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

I'm sorry that you fell ill on your trip....Not the first time a westerner having gastro problems in India though... :ooer:

Taj Mahal is well,fantastic....Is Seviyaan the veg gravy thing or the sweet dish?

Yes, it was such a shame. We did all the right things in order to try to avoid falling ill though and we had no issues at all up until the seviyaan. I'd even taken probiotics beforehand and also decided to remain vegetarian in order to avoid any issues with eating meat. Bottled water only - even for teeth cleaning - and we were constantly using anti-bacterial wipes and gels! The food was amazing in all the hotels we stayed in and in all the restaurants in which we ate, and I think the risks there were minimal.

The unfortunate reality was that on our last night in Jaipur, part of the "experience" was a meal with a local family. In fact it was nothing of the sort. The family home turned out to be a B&B, which did cookery demonstrations... and in fact we did not eat with the family at all. It was purely a commercial enterprise and although the family were very pleasant and made us very welcome, it was not quite the thing that we had anticipated. In fact, I don't even believe it was a family member who did the cooking - but rather one of their staff. They were a pretty affluent family, with their own farming estate in the countryside. The B&B thing was, I believe, simply an additional little money spinner generated from their large house in Jaipur.

The seviyaan was the sweet dish - the vermicelli milk pudding.
Dimples

Postby Jay Jay » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:14 pm

Going to Kiev for a week in May.
Trans Siberian next year.

If I see Tarrant or Portillo I will be royally pissed off.
Jay Jay

Postby art0hur0moh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Rockstar wrote:

I got a coin from Hidrabad? Fn spelling is most aggravating! I spend more time traversing the pages of dictionaries and am still dependant on spell checker :brickwall:
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 pm

oh, point is, are you familiar with the region/city Rockstar?
art0hur0moh

Postby Dimples » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:01 am

art0hur0moh wrote:
Rockstar wrote:

I got a coin from Hidrabad? Fn spelling is most aggravating! I spend more time traversing the pages of dictionaries and am still dependant on spell checker :brickwall:

Hyderabad? :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby Rockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Dimples wrote:
Rockstar wrote:
Dimples wrote:

Yes, it was such a shame. We did all the right things in order to try to avoid falling ill though and we had no issues at all up until the seviyaan. I'd even taken probiotics beforehand and also decided to remain vegetarian in order to avoid any issues with eating meat. Bottled water only - even for teeth cleaning - and we were constantly using anti-bacterial wipes and gels! The food was amazing in all the hotels we stayed in and in all the restaurants in which we ate, and I think the risks there were minimal.

The unfortunate reality was that on our last night in Jaipur, part of the "experience" was a meal with a local family. In fact it was nothing of the sort. The family home turned out to be a B&B, which did cookery demonstrations... and in fact we did not eat with the family at all. It was purely a commercial enterprise and although the family were very pleasant and made us very welcome, it was not quite the thing that we had anticipated. In fact, I don't even believe it was a family member who did the cooking - but rather one of their staff. They were a pretty affluent family, with their own farming estate in the countryside. The B&B thing was, I believe, simply an additional little money spinner generated from their large house in Jaipur.

The seviyaan was the sweet dish - the vermicelli milk pudding.

Would it be wrong to tell you that I love one of its variants called Sheerkuma. (It's an Eid speciality) :oops:

Before you make plans for India a second time,you know who to call out first. :thumbsup:
Rockstar

Postby Rockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:53 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:oh, point is, are you familiar with the region/city Rockstar?

Yup. City of the Nizams....Dum Biryani...Haleem .. :laughing:
Rockstar

Postby Bella » Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Cheap flights...

https://www.jacksflightclub.co.uk/upgrade/

And for train journeys, really good site ...

https://www.seat61.com/
Bella

Postby bogtrotter » Wed May 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Off to the US for three weeks. Will be celebrating my 60th in California.

Behave yourselves.
bogtrotter

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug