The Windrush Generation

The Windrush Generation

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:06 pm

After watching Channel 4 news reports in the week about the disgraceful manner in which government have behaved toward these people, then reading this yesterday...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 14416.html

I was fuelled up with enough rage and fury to bang off an email to my MP last night leaving him in no doubt as to where my next communication would be heading if his government failed to put an immediate stop to such despicable behaviour.

Now today i've just seen the latest 'breaking news' on this - May has done another of her infamous U turns.

Theresa May signals U-turn on treatment of Windrush generation but refuses to apologise to people threatened with deportation

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 06841.html

It's a welcome step in the right direction but refusing to apologise isn't good enough.
Grafenwalder

Re: The Windrush Generation

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm

It looks like the Government has finally got round to reading the 1948 British Nationality Act then.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an apology though.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:It looks like the Government has finally got round to reading the 1948 British Nationality Act then.

She thinks that's beneath. Her contempt is all too apparent.

I agree, though i felt it a more humane option to demanding her head on a stake!
Grafenwalder

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:It looks like the Government has finally got round to reading the 1948 British Nationality Act then.

I agree, though i felt it a more humane option to demanding her head on a stake!

I've checked the news and I stand corrected.

It looks like the Government has now apologised and set up a task force to help British people who were deported in error.

It's a shame they couldn't have checked the position carefully before they started to put people under what must be appalling stress.
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:21 pm

A calculated exercise in seeing just how far the anti-darkie stance will play before capitulating when the going gets tough in the hope that both sides will remember their preferred version.
McAz

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

I've checked the news and I stand corrected.

It looks like the Government has now apologised and set up a task force to help British people who were deported in error.

It's a shame they couldn't have checked the position carefully before they started to put people under what must be appalling stress.

Only Amber Rudd has openly apologised. A number of Tory MP's are lining up to scrape the floor no doubt after seeing the public outrage and a poll now forcing the issue to be debated in Parliament. As one wit on DS commented, Downing Street must be reeking with the burning rubber from the handbrake turn May's done on this one.

Lets not forget it was under Mays tenure as HS which created this hostility so imo she should have been first in line to publicly apologise. She's a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43780621
Grafenwalder

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Windrush generation being subjected to 'cruel and inhumane treatment by UK government

Rolluplostinspace

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Windrush generation being subjected to 'cruel and inhumane treatment by UK government

I have a fear which lurks in the dark corners of my mind, which I don't articulate often to myself left alone my loved ones, a fear which I guess many immigrants or BME people have.

It's the fear that no matter how much I contribute to this country, no matter how integrated, no matter how law abiding or well behaved, no matter how perfect my command of the English language, no matter how aligned my values are to Britishness that one day the mood of the country will change against people like me and no matter what passport I hold with the stroke of a bureaucrat's pen everything I have worked so hard for will be taken from me and like Amin expelled the Asians from Uganda with nothing so will that be visited upon me.

I trust in the good nature of this country and its people and that rationally this is unlikely to ever happen but events like this are disconcerting.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Windrush generation being subjected to 'cruel and inhumane treatment by UK government

Yeah i've just seen that brilliant speech on Channel 4 news. VERY VERY powerful and absolutely spot on. His Twitter site is overloaded with rapturous applause.

Reporter Michael Crick also makes an interesting point on his Twitter account;

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/statu ... 7505033216
Grafenwalder

Postby Snookerballs » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:34 pm

After WW11 this Country was on its knees, we went out to the Caribbean to recruit labour for our NHS , Social Work, building , Transport etc, Windrush was the answer , we promised those that came to this country Prosperity and as they were Commonwealth Citizens they had a right to live in this Country despite those that were against immigration,
it achieved its purpose the Country Prospered,
Now as most of the immigrants are of pensionable age , this Government is now telling them to " F**k" Off" back to where they were born, being part of the Commonwealth means absolutly nothing
The Government should hang its head in shame , lieing to our Commonwealth citizens.
Snookerballs

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm

Snookerballs wrote:After WW11 this Country was on its knees, we went out to the Caribbean to recruit labour for our NHS , Social Work, building , Transport etc, Windrush was the answer , we promised those that came to this country Prosperity and as they were Commonwealth Citizens they had a right to live in this Country despite those that were against immigration,
Now as most of the immigrants are of pensionable age , this Government is now telling them to " F**k" Off" back to where they were born, being part of the Commonwealth means absolutly nothing
The Government should hang its head in shame , lieing to our Commonwealth citizens.

The Government deserve to be hammered on this issue and the Home Office in particular.

What a way to treat people for no good reason other than to satisfy some pen pusher's pedantry.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Snookerballs wrote:After WW11 this Country was on its knees, we went out to the Caribbean to recruit labour for our NHS , Social Work, building , Transport etc, Windrush was the answer , we promised those that came to this country Prosperity and as they were Commonwealth Citizens they had a right to live in this Country despite those that were against immigration,

Exactly and it makes me ashamed to be British. The despicable actions of May's government has brought shame and disgrace on this country. At the moment i'm even torn between who qualifies as more wretched of the two female PM's, her or Thatcher...that's how furious i am! It's a tough call! I just hope other current political issues don't get used to bury this which i'm sure they will try...rapid damage limitation etc, but i'm feeling public anger has grown now.

This article explains what the sneaky bastards were up to just four years ago - and who was Home Secretary then?

The government quietly removed a key protection from the statute books for some British residents of the Windrush generation who could face deportation. The Home Office said the clause was not included in the 2014 Immigration Act because adequate protections were already in place for people who were initially granted temporary rights to remain in the UK and have stayed for decades.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ed-in-2014
Grafenwalder

Postby Dimples » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:

The Government deserve to be hammered on this issue and the Home Office in particular.

What a way to treat people for no good reason other than to satisfy some pen pusher's pedantry.

I don't actually believe it's about satisfying a pen pusher's pedantry as such.... but it absolutely IS completely in line with the sort of offensive, bigoted ideology which is characteristic of this government and this pathetic excuse for a PM and former Home Secretary).

I agree that they absolutely DO have to be hammered - and in fact I think that so much needs to be made of this that it could bring Theresa May down completely.

She was Home Secretary in 2014 when legal protections for Commonwealth residents were quietly removed in a key clause under the 2014 Immigration Act. The government (unsurprisingly) did not announce the removal of this clause.

She'll no doubt allow Amber Rudd to fall on her sword, rather than do so herself... preferring instead to cling on to power like the self-serving witch she is. It's just yet another thing that shows how fundamentally evil that old bag is.

She has to go.
Dimples

Postby Cannydc » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:04 pm

I have listened to one government minister after another, with their mealy mouthed 'apologies'.

Not a single one, when asked, is willing to state that people who have lost their jobs, their livelihoods, their dignity and in some cases even their freedom are going to be properly compensated.

Unless Treeza stops dithering, there is a massive damages claim coming, which she was to blame for as the Home Secretary who signed off on this policy.

She should resign, if she had a shred of honesty about her.

She won't. She's a Tory.
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Midge will say it's a conspiracy theory it's the Jews it can't be true our government wouldn't ... they just wouldn't .....
Rolluplostinspace

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs