Fears & Phobias

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Fears & Phobias

Postby Trapper John » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 am

I have a phobia of wasps and hornets. I can tolerate anything else from the biggest spider to the smallest ant I have no fear of any other insect or pretty much anything else, except fucking wasps and hornets.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:18 am

Trapper John wrote:I have a phobia of wasps and hornets. I can tolerate anything else from the biggest spider to the smallest ant I have no fear of any other insect or pretty much anything else, except fucking wasps and hornets.

You would have loooved what happened to me just before summer. I went to the guest loo which we only use sporadically, but I was in a hurry...anyway, the window was open and the blinds were up half way... and there it was...a half finished wasp nest hanging from the blinds and 3 busy wasps hanging around....shudder.... I ran for the insect spray and emptied the whole can :gigglesnshit: It actually really freaked me out.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 am

Not scared of hights as such. The sudden stop after the fall would scare me if I survived as a veg. Then again would I know any better? A wasp made its way under bed sheets one evening. Zapped me repeatedly on the ankle. Flicked it off, opened the widow and it flew off not to phased.

Not so much a fear or phobia, but I don't like sleeping alone. The sound of other people sleeping aids restful slumber.

:dunno: don't undrrstand the question?
art0hur0moh

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 am

art0hur0moh wrote:Not scared of hights as such. The sudden stop after the fall would scare me if I survived as a veg. Then again would I know any better? A wasp made its way under bed sheets one evening. Zapped me repeatedly on the ankle. Flicked it off, opened the widow and it flew off not to phased.

Not so much a fear or phobia, but I don't like sleeping alone. The sound of other people sleeping aids restful slumber.

:dunno: don't undrrstand the question?

You need to get yourself a sleeping partner :smilin:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:30 am

The sound of other people sleeping aids restful slumber.

I had an ex wife and several partners who would vehemently disagree with that. :ooer:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am

Holly wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I have a phobia of wasps and hornets. I can tolerate anything else from the biggest spider to the smallest ant I have no fear of any other insect or pretty much anything else, except fucking wasps and hornets.

You would have loooved what happened to me just before summer. I went to the guest loo which we only use sporadically, but I was in a hurry...anyway, the window was open and the blinds were up half way... and there it was...a half finished wasp nest hanging from the blinds and 3 busy wasps hanging around....shudder.... I ran for the insect spray and emptied the whole can :gigglesnshit: It actually really freaked me out.

I had one in my loft once the size of a couple of footballs, the only time I've ever had to get an expert come out and deal with one. Usually I catch them early enough to take them down myself. I actually go looking for them in the spring because the queens have normally over-wintered close by an old nest.

I also remember sitting for four hours or more in my bedroom with a rolled up newspaper and the door closed, windows open waiting for a hornet to show itself. I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving it, not knowing if it found it's way out or was waiting to attack me the first chance it got.

I managed to shoo it out the window after frantically, some might say manically attacking it with my newspaper.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Holly » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 am

Trapper John wrote:
Holly wrote:

I had one in my loft once the size of a couple of footballs, the only time I've ever had to get an expert come out and deal with one. Usually I catch them early enough to take them down myself. I actually go looking for them in the spring because the queens have normally over-wintered close by an old nest.

I also remember sitting for four hours or more in my bedroom with a rolled up newspaper and the door closed, windows open waiting for a hornet to show itself. I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving it, not knowing if it found it's way out or was waiting to attack me the first chance it got.

I managed to shoo it out the window after frantically, some might say manically attacking it with my newspaper.

OMG, ewwww, at least my wasp nest was still small enough, I could vacuum it away.

It's a fact, wasps will attack you if you piss them off, also, if you kill one, they excrete a scent that alerts other wasps ( or something like that ) and they come and investigate. I know because we get a lot of wasps in my area. Every time I kill one, 2 or 3 more are coming.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby malamute » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am

So does my son! he was stung by a hornet when he was about 8 and his arm just started swelling up before our eyes. When we eat outside in the summer he often carries his food back indoors if there are wasps about.

My phobia is claustrophobia. If I go to any event or function I have to check out where the exits are. If I’m on a bus I have to sit near the front so I can get off quickly. On planes I always book seats either right at front or back so I can get off quickly. 4 hours is my maximum and that is with listening to a relaxation tape, taking medication and sitting in an aisle seat. One time I got a middle seat and a man sat in the aisle seat and he sat with his right arm up on the seat in front. I felt physically sick as I felt trapped in.
malamute

Postby Keyser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 pm

:trollface:

Spoiler: show

Keyser

Postby Nucks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Some phobias are quite rational, imo. Being afraid of things that are dangerous or could injure or kill you seems perfectly natural. Things like wasps, heights, spiders, makes sense to be afraid of them. Does it become a legitimate “phobia” when someone loses all perspective because of that fear? Like running into traffic or harming another person for example.
Nucks

Postby Keyser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Nucks wrote:Some phobias are quite rational, imo. Being afraid of things that are dangerous or could injure or kill you seems perfectly natural. Things like wasps, heights, spiders, makes sense to be afraid of them. Does it become a legitimate “phobia” when someone loses all perspective because of that fear? Like running into traffic or harming another person for example.

I am not sure about the evolutionary reasons for fearing spiders - surely to our Hominin ancestors they would just have made a tasty little protein-rich snack? :dunno:

A fear of snakes on the other hand is perfectly understandable as their are plenty of venomous buggers in Africa.

One expert nicknamed the Black mamba 'Death Incarnate' for example.
Keyser

Postby Nucks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Keyser wrote:
Nucks wrote:Some phobias are quite rational, imo. Being afraid of things that are dangerous or could injure or kill you seems perfectly natural. Things like wasps, heights, spiders, makes sense to be afraid of them. Does it become a legitimate “phobia” when someone loses all perspective because of that fear? Like running into traffic or harming another person for example.

I am not sure about the evolutionary reasons for fearing spiders - surely to our Hominin ancestors they would just have made a tasty little protein-rich snack? :dunno:

A fear of snakes on the other hand is perfectly understandable as their are plenty of venomous buggers in Africa.

Spiders can be venomous too. Someone who has a phobia won’t differentiate between safe and dangerous. :gigglesnshit:
Nucks

Postby Vam » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 pm

It's been interesting reading people's posts, differentiating between "fear" and "phobia". From a simplistic, layman's POV, I think this makes the most sense to me...

What is the difference between fear and phobia?

1) Feelings of fear are very common – diagnosable phobias are not.

2) Phobias are a form of anxiety disorder and are characterized by intense and irrational fears of an object or situation that poses no real threat. A phobia is an intense fear of something that, in reality, poses little or no actual danger.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_basic_difference_between_fear_and_phobia
Vam

Postby Keyser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Nucks wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Spiders can be venomous too. Someone who has a phobia won’t differentiate between safe and dangerous. :gigglesnshit:

Yes but only a very select few species in the entire world are dangerous to humans the huge Wandering Spiders of the Phoneutria genus from South America being the worst in this regard and even they will only bite if provoked.

Keyser

Postby Nucks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:23 pm

It’ll be the creepy factor as well then.
Nucks

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms