Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:45 am

Here's a literary fact not many will know unless they read the book, the first line of Jerome K Jerome's 'Three Men in a Boat' begins with the words "There were four of us..........." :laughing:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby MG2 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am

@Bella, I've finished Eleanor Oliphant and I miss her. Lovely book.

Have just started The Crime Trade by Simon Kernick, not sure about it yet. It's about drug crime lords and the sting that's gone wrong in London. Not really my favourite subject material but highly recommended so thought I would give it a go.
MG2

Postby malamute » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am

Just read A book about Parkhurst prison (and others) by double murderer Norman Parker. I only read it because it was on the charity book stall in Tesco.

He glosses over his crimes and spends most of the book complaining about everything in prison like the food, the screws, the conditions but by the end of the book I had no sympathy whatsoever for him or his inmates. They all seemed to only be concerned about themselves and not the families of people they killed, raped or robbed.

They get free accommodation, food, education, activities and access to gyms and theyre still alive unlike many of their victims.

I have just started a book called The Letter by Kathryn Hughes. A complete contrast!
malamute

Postby Keyser » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:53 pm

malamute wrote:Just read A book about Parkhurst prison (and others) by double murderer Norman Parker. I only read it because it was on the charity book stall in Tesco.

He glosses over his crimes and spends most of the book complaining about everything in prison like the food, the screws, the conditions but by the end of the book I had no sympathy whatsoever for him or his inmates. They all seemed to only be concerned about themselves and not the families of people they killed, raped or robbed.

They get free accommodation, food, education, activities and access to gyms and theyre still alive unlike many of their victims.

I have just started a book called The Letter by Kathryn Hughes. A complete contrast!

Scum will be scum - and yet there is an entire modern day industry devoted to making out they are the victims rather rather than the perpetrators.

Most of my family grew up in abject poverty by the standards of the day - and not one has ever broken the law.

So that fucks off the 'victim' status of the criminals which they have somehow achieved in modern times. :shake head:
Keyser

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Still reading Living rich. On the chapter travel. I remember seeing a documentry about travelers being invited into peoples homes for the night or week. Found the web address. Plus a second couch surfers. :canny:

About fn time what I know I can actually act on.
art0hur0moh

Postby Bella » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 pm

MG2 wrote:@Bella, I've finished Eleanor Oliphant and I miss her. Lovely book.

Have just started The Crime Trade by Simon Kernick, not sure about it yet. It's about drug crime lords and the sting that's gone wrong in London. Not really my favourite subject material but highly recommended so thought I would give it a go.

Yes, I missed her too, eccentric and very interesting, endearing character, looks like a film is coming with Reece Weatherperson...
Bella

Postby malamute » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am

Started a couple of books which I cant get into so am re-reading (for about the 20th time) Barry Hines A Kestrel for a Knave.
malamute

Postby MG2 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Finished it. Characters were good and the plot line but still not wild about the subject.

Have started The Thirst by Jo Nesbo. I have read a few of his and while they are decent they don't excite. This one seems much better so far though.

If you like psychological thrillers, character based, try Michael Robotham's Joe O'Loughlin series. Seriously good.
MG2

Postby VelvetCat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Because I have a ear infection and feel thoroughly miserable, I'm re reading Lace by Shirley Conran. First read it when I was 16, and I think even though it was written in the '80's it still is a good story
VelvetCat

Location: The Hawthorns, loaned to the Championship for another season!

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:52 pm

I'm reading Magpie murders - Anthony Horowitz

loving it
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby MG2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:33 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:I'm reading Magpie murders - Anthony Horowitz

loving it

That looks interesting and has great reviews. It's going in my basket.
MG2

Postby Vicky » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:41 am

The Child next door.

I'm reading it on my tablet after I accidentally pressed 'Buy it now' on Amazon and before I knew it, it had been downloaded.

I was wanting to buy the paperback.

:brickwall:
Vicky

Postby Book Reader » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:30 pm

A must-read book, 'Undermined.'

A really good story/factual and I a learn't a lot from it.

ISBN: 9780515150919 - from all good book sites inc amazon/etc/etc.
Book Reader

Postby malamute » Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 pm

I am reading a Margaret Yorke thriller at the moment.
malamute

Postby Claire » Sun May 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Bella wrote:

Yes, I missed her too, eccentric and very interesting, endearing character, looks like a film is coming with Reece Weatherperson...
I loved Eleanor Oliphant and was sad when I finished it.

If anyone likes mystery/psycological/detective stuff, try Harlan Coben. I share my Kindle Library with a friend and she had one of his books called " The Woods". I read it when I had run out of my own stuff (she loves vampire, zombie stuff and I don't so I had pre judged it) - I have now bought every book he has written :gigglesnshit: So good!

Also "We need to talk about Kevin" is an amazing book.
Claire

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug