WHAT IS DRIVING TORY VOTERS TO VOTE LABOUR?

WHAT IS DRIVING TORY VOTERS TO VOTE LABOUR?

Postby Cannydc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:12 pm

As Labour activists turn into her street, Sheila Arnold, 71, comes to the door. She has voted Tory all her life, as did her father before her. But she has had enough. “I’m going Labour this time and I never have before. There are not enough houses for the young people round here and that is not right.”

Other things have upset her about the Conservatives. She agrees with them that immigration needs to be controlled but when she heard how May’s government had treated the Windrush generation she was horrified. “I think it is awful. We do have to control immigration but these people were invited in by us, and they helped us. This is their country now, their home, and they have been treated like muck. It is really terrible.”

Across the road Remi Tangian, a domestic helper who came to the UK from the Philippines 30 years ago, feels the same way about how the Conservatives have treated the Windrush generation and is switching her vote. “It is so unfair,” she says. “We have to have change. I cannot agree with what they have done.”

Seems Windrush is on people's lips, and it may cause a Tory election car crash. There's a lot of nervousness though, with big council prizes so tantalisingly close. I remember a similar nervousness in 1997, when canvassing we really couldn't believe how many wanted us to beat the Tories - many having voted nothing but blue for decades. However, momentum is in one direction only. Let's see where it takes us.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -elections
Cannydc

Re: WHAT IS DRIVING TORY VOTERS TO VOTE LABOUR?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Labour need every vote.
Forget Liberal green and so on or you'll be helping the Tory's with your pointless vote.
Vote Labour.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:06 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Labour need every vote.
Forget Liberal green and so on or you'll be helping the Tory's with your pointless vote.
Vote Labour.

But only if you live in a marginal though :dunno:

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Labour need every vote.
Vote Labour.

But only if you live in a marginal though :dunno:

I always forget that bit in the heat of the moment :oops:
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Gigolo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:11 am

The Syria & Skripal were criminal, the Tories should resign.

I don't think I could stomach voting for anyone. i reckon there would a massive clamp down on free speech with the Labour Party.
Gigolo

Postby Cannydc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:29 am

Gigolo wrote:The Syria & Skripal were criminal, the Tories should resign.

I don't think I could stomach voting for anyone. i reckon there would a massive clamp down on free speech with the Labour Party.

A vote for no-one is a vote for the status quo.

Please don't waste a chance to help to make a difference.
Cannydc

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:14 am

Most elections are decided by people who have little or no interest in politics. We already have diehard voters for every party, the vast majority of whom don't switch sides. It's the undecided that make the difference. The people who at this time won't be reading the ins and outs of every political issue going, who are unable to name any politicians bar maybe the party leaders and a few famous ones.

The thing is, once an election comes around, they will pay a little more attention than usual to politics - and once they realise that Labour is riddled with the hard left - Marxists, Momentum etc - the average man in the street won't be interested in them. As weak as May is, Labour will be weaker come election time.

We have a very poor standard of politics in this country at this time, the worst for ages. It's an ideal opportunity for one of the minor parties to press ahead, but they all seem as weak as piss too.

I still see a Tory victory, not because they are particularly good, but because the opposition is dire. If May were replaced as leader, the victory will be greater still. The public won't be voting for the best party, but for the least worst.
Red Okktober

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

Red Okktober wrote:Most elections are decided by people who have little or no interest in politics. We already have diehard voters for every party, the vast majority of whom don't switch sides. It's the undecided that make the difference. The people who at this time won't be reading the ins and outs of every political issue going, who are unable to name any politicians bar maybe the party leaders and a few famous ones.

The thing is, once an election comes around, they will pay a little more attention than usual to politics - and once they realise that Labour is riddled with the hard left - Marxists, Momentum etc - the average man in the street won't be interested in them. As weak as May is, Labour will be weaker come election time.

We have a very poor standard of politics in this country at this time, the worst for ages. It's an ideal opportunity for one of the minor parties to press ahead, but they all seem as weak as piss too.

I still see a Tory victory, not because they are particularly good, but because the opposition is dire. If May were replaced as leader, the victory will be greater still. The public won't be voting for the best party, but for the least worst.

You think the tories will win this week? :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Choice is this for the 95% do you want your quality of life improved or reduced? Tory for reduced, Labour for improvement, no cuts etc, better NHS

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:29 am

Red Okktober wrote:Most elections are decided by people who have little or no interest in politics. We already have diehard voters for every party, the vast majority of whom don't switch sides. It's the undecided that make the difference. The people who at this time won't be reading the ins and outs of every political issue going, who are unable to name any politicians bar maybe the party leaders and a few famous ones.

Were you one of them who was going to leave the U.K if Labour won office?
I'm thinking yes because the same crap was said back then too.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:37 am

A Tory victory this week is likely to be pyrrhic at best.

They will be celebrating losing 100 seats or less, or hanging on grimly to London cuncils never once won by Labour.

There was plenty of reducing of Tory expectations on the political programmes this morning, accompanied by much harrumphing abut no-one mentioning Windrush on the doorstep. They are lying.
Cannydc

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Were you one of them who was going to leave the U.K if Labour won office?

Eh? Why would I leave the UK if Labour won office? Are you stark raving mad?

I'm interested in politics, but not fanatical about it. Unlike many of the liberal left on here, I accept democracy without condition. If my choice doesn't get in, I put up with whoever does. You won't see me still disputing decisions two years later, or scraping the barrel looking for reasons for a vote to be overturned.
Red Okktober

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Cannydc wrote:

A Tory victory this week is likely to be pyrrhic at best.

They will be celebrating losing 100 seats or less, or hanging on grimly to London cuncils never once won by Labour.

There was plenty of reducing of Tory expectations on the political programmes this morning, accompanied by much harrumphing abut no-one mentioning Windrush on the doorstep. They are lying.

The funny thing is about Stepford Tories is they only wake up when their local hospital is about to be shut or if their daughter's Sure Start centre is closing.

:shake head: :shake head:

A bit like Grimsby Tories voting for Brexit then wanting special port status. :off head:

Postby Cannydc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:26 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Were you one of them who was going to leave the U.K if Labour won office?

Eh? Why would I leave the UK if Labour won office? Are you stark raving mad?

I'm interested in politics, but not fanatical about it. Unlike many of the liberal left on here, I accept democracy without condition. If my choice doesn't get in, I put up with whoever does. You won't see me still disputing decisions two years later, or scraping the barrel looking for reasons for a vote to be overturned.

Not all of us are so gutless as to roll over and have our tummies tickled when we perceive a grossly stupid and damaging decision has been taken.
Cannydc

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:40 pm

Cannydc wrote:Not all of us are so gutless as to roll over and have our tummies tickled when we perceive a grossly stupid and damaging decision has been taken.

Talking of leaving the UK - how's the move to Thailand coming along?

I don't know much about Thailand - what would happen over there if you refused to accept democracy because your side lost?
Red Okktober

Postby Cannydc » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Not all of us are so gutless as to roll over and have our tummies tickled when we perceive a grossly stupid and damaging decision has been taken.

Talking of leaving the UK - how's the move to Thailand coming along?

I don't know much about Thailand - what would happen over there if you refused to accept democracy because your side lost?

Thanks for asking - the land is acquired, the plans have been drawn and approved by the local council.

Next step is commence building, a pretty 3 bedroom detached house with study / 4th bedroom downstairs. Cost between £75-85k.

And for your further information, opposition to stupid policies on Thailand is as strong, if not stronger than here.

People there don't roll over to have their tummies tickled either - but in your case (and in the right part of Bangkok) they will, for a small fee.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs