Middle-aged Tories 'gammons'

Middle-aged Tories 'gammons'

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm

Name: Gammon.

Appearance: Like a nice pub lunch, albeit a really angry pub lunch that won’t shut up about the will of the people.

Gammon? Like the meat? Exactly. And also like the skin tone of almost every furious, spittle-mouthed wingnut ever to scream borderline racist nearly-questions at the panel on Question Time.

Right, I get it, we’re being pejorative. That’s right. In recent months, the word “gammon” has become a shorthand for middle-aged, right-leaning white men who won’t stop railing against a system they feel is working against them, even though they are ultimately among its greatest beneficiaries.

I know exactly the sort of people you’re talking about. Sure you do. They voted for Brexit and support the Conservatives even though they harbour a secret fondness for Nigel Farage. They’re into the idea of St George’s Day 5% more than they should be. They drink beer. They smoke. They look – and this is really the key point here – like slabs of greasy gammon shimmering stupidly under a fluorescent light.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/sh ... es-gammons

:gigglesnshit:

Re: Middle-aged Tories 'gammons'

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Get your hankies ready, for I am here to share a story of woe and oppression. The nation’s truly subjugated minority, affluent middle-aged white men in the shires who turn pink with rage at the thought of immigrants or taxes, are under siege. Golf clubs across the land abound with dark mutterings: you can’t even racially abuse Diane Abbott on Twitter, or call for Muslims to be deported, without the fascist left crushing your rights and freedoms by disapproving of things you’ve said. But the cruellest oppression since Jim Davidson left his prime-time Big Break slot has come to pass: the left are now calling socially reactionary, affluent England “gammon”.

“Gammon” is a slur and an outrage. But the gammonery have a champion: the DUP MP Emma Little-Pengelly says that “this is a term based on skin colour & age – stereotyping by colour or age is wrong no matter what race, age or community. It’s just wrong.” I, for one, welcome the DUP as our nation’s guardians against bigotry. Some would say that a party whose leading figures call homosexuality “disgusting, loathsome, nauseating, wicked and vile”, an “abomination” to be “cured”, or that it is “pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism”, might be on shaky grounds on the whole bigotry topic, but not I! What else can affluent white men depend on to champion their rights, other than centuries of accumulated privilege and a society systematically rigged in their favour?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nversation

:pmsl: The gammon acting like snowflakes AGAIN!

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

How if this any different from calling blacks "chocolate faces" or something?
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Claire » Mon May 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:How if this any different from calling blacks "chocolate faces" or something?

Because white people's faces aren't the colour of gammon?
Claire

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm

The Right have been handing out the insults to just about everybody who doesn't wholeheartedly support their trashings of the country for some very dubious motives and coined the phrase 'snowflake' to belittle young people. I really don't think theycan start screaming about this relatively minor insult. :hand: (S)

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Claire wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:How if this any different from calling blacks "chocolate faces" or something?

I think you'll find some are.

White people's skin tones are as varied as any other race.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Claire » Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Claire wrote:

I think you'll find some are.

White people's skin tones are as varied as any other race.

Claire

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Guest wrote:The Right have been handing out the insults to just about everybody who doesn't wholeheartedly support their trashings of the country for some very dubious motives and coined the phrase 'snowflake' to belittle young people. I really don't think theycan start screaming about this relatively minor insult. :hand: (S)

Can I break it to you.

Only complete imbeciles keep banging on about "right" and "left" these days.

Completely pointless waste of time, a distraction for the stupid.

The real divide is between Nationalism and Globalism
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Cannydc » Mon May 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Guest wrote:The Right have been handing out the insults to just about everybody who doesn't wholeheartedly support their trashings of the country for some very dubious motives and coined the phrase 'snowflake' to belittle young people. I really don't think theycan start screaming about this relatively minor insult. :hand: (S)

Can I break it to you.

Only complete imbeciles keep banging on about "right" and "left" these days.

Completely pointless waste of time, a distraction for the stupid.

The real divide is between Nationalism and Globalism

Not in my village it isn't.

It's between the haves and the have nots. It's parochial.

Tell the ex-serviceman sleeping rough with mental issues that it's between Nationalism and Globalism.

Tell it to the old fella whose home care has been cut, or the cancer patient waiting months for a diagnosis.

They don't give a stuff about Nationalism and Globalism. They want proper funding for proper, caring services. End of.
Cannydc

Postby malamute » Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Were you listening to Jeremy Vine today? I was on my way to a meeting and enjoyed hearing several men ringing in saying they would happily be called gammon rather than a limp wet lettuce on the other side. :pmsl:

I think lots of middle aged men would rather take gammon as long as others dont object to being called Leftie Tree-hugging snowflake remoaners. :pmsl:
malamute

Postby Guest » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 pm

malamute wrote:Were you listening to Jeremy Vine today? I was on my way to a meeting and enjoyed hearing several men ringing in saying they would happily be called gammon rather than a limp wet lettuce on the other side. :pmsl:

I think lots of middle aged men would rather take gammon as long as others dont object to being called Leftie Tree-hugging snowflake remoaners. :pmsl:

Vine! :pmsl: ...Spent most of his time moaning about the marginalization of Christianity, and how you can't be as abusive as you used to be!

Do keep up dear!

....The gammons have been complaining about their new title dear gammoness!

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Cannydc wrote:

Tell the ex-serviceman sleeping rough with mental issues that it's between Nationalism and Globalism.

Tell it to the old fella whose home care has been cut, or the cancer patient waiting months for a diagnosis.

They don't give a stuff about Nationalism and Globalism. They want proper funding for proper, caring services. End of.

Why has the ex-serviceman not got anywhere to live?

Because there are no council houses due to record immigration.

The NHS is overwhelmed for the same reason.

Globalisation.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Stooo » Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

Why has the ex-serviceman not got anywhere to live?

Because there are no council houses due to record immigration.

The NHS is overwhelmed for the same reason.

Globalisation.

No, it's because he blew his own brains out along with the last Arab that he shot.

He can't live in a house after he killed a family in a tent.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Stooo wrote:
No, it's because he blew his own brains out along with the last Arab that he shot.

Well that's a rather specific example.

You can't apply that to every ex-soldier.

And do you think the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq had nothing to do with globalisation?

And Labour started both those wars so surely you blame the Tories for that as well?

Although as I was saying all the right/ left stuff is bullshit anyway, no difference between Blair, Brown, Clegg, Cameron and May.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby MungoBrush » Tue May 15, 2018 8:48 am

Ray of Sunshine wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Well that's a rather specific example.

You can't apply that to every ex-soldier.

And do you think the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq had nothing to do with globalisation?

And Labour started both those wars so surely you blame the Tories for that as well?

Although as I was saying all the right/ left stuff is bullshit anyway, no difference between Blair, Brown, Clegg, Cameron and May.

Not every rough sleeper with mental issues is an ex serviceman
Not every ex serviceman ends up rough sleeping with mental issues
MungoBrush

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs