how do you help someone get their self esteem back?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: how do you help someone get their self esteem back?

Postby Kat » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am

At a very very low point in my life besides helping ma m with her cancer treatment i was visiting dad daily in hospital i got offered a job that worked and let me carry on doing what I was doing omg the help support I've been given at work is amazing working helping people you love is better than any medicine in the market
Kat

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm

Kat wrote:At a very very low point in my life besides helping ma m with her cancer treatment i was visiting dad daily in hospital i got offered a job that worked and let me carry on doing what I was doing omg the help support I've been given at work is amazing working helping people you love is better than any medicine in the market

Good for you Kat.
You talk sense too, working, getting out of the house, mixing with others and not sitting home alone contemplating why everything is wrong is your life, counting blessings and looking forwards not backwards, this all helps in getting self esteem back on track.

I would advise someone to not bottle things up, talk to a trusted friend or family member, and have a laugh. Nothing lasts forever, and that includes the bad times.

Postby Dean » Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Guest wrote:
Kat wrote:At a very very low point in my life besides helping ma m with her cancer treatment i was visiting dad daily in hospital i got offered a job that worked and let me carry on doing what I was doing omg the help support I've been given at work is amazing working helping people you love is better than any medicine in the market

Good for you Kat.
You talk sense too, working, getting out of the house, mixing with others and not sitting home alone contemplating why everything is wrong is your life, counting blessings and looking forwards not backwards, this all helps in getting self esteem back on track.

I would advise someone to not bottle things up, talk to a trusted friend or family member, and have a laugh. Nothing lasts forever, and that includes the bad times.

What if you have no friends and your family hates you, like Micky? Who do you speak to then?
Dean

Postby Mickyboy » Wed May 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Dean wrote:
Guest wrote:

Good for you Kat.

What if you have no friends and your family hates you, like Micky? Who do you speak to then?

Getting personal now are you Dean, about your mark you lowlife cunt.......... :hand:
Mickyboy

Postby Rockstar » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Mickyboy wrote:
Dean wrote:
Guest wrote:

Good for you Kat.

Getting personal now are you Dean, about your mark you lowlife cunt.......... :hand:

:pointlaugh:
Rockstar

Postby Dean » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Mickyboy wrote:
Dean wrote:
Guest wrote:

Good for you Kat.

I’m just repeating the words you said in this forum, in public. If you don’t want your personal life discussed on here then don’t talk about it you fucking retard...
Dean

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 pm

I've got better things to do, so quit it

you know who you are
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:I've got better things to do, so quit it

you know who you are

Is Micky reporting posts again?
Dean

Postby Kat » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Guest wrote:

Good for you Kat.

Thank you first you can let the rot set in and before you know it you don't belong to the outside world i have done a lot of changes in the 2years my dad was I'll we helped each other i also haven't had a cig in 2 years come September .going helping family getting out helped me plus I was so depressed with my last job
Kat

Postby Text » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Beat it into them!
(Markey style - ie beat them where the marks won't show.)

Yup, that's how to give someone their self esteem back. :trollface:
Text

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed May 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Guest wrote:Apart from telling then how good they are? And telling them they have lost it?

You don't. There's been a lot of good advice on this thread (especially from Kat.)

Personally, I think this modern obsession with self esteem has become almost cult like and can bring more harm than good. It may cause people to become excessively self absorbed and emotionally self indulgent when looking outwards rather than inwards (in some instances) is what is needed.

Three thing spring to mind to help those that suffer:

1. Accept you are human and being human can bring low mood for no apparent reason. It's just part of the territory. Some days thoughts like "God, I look like a right munter" or "I'm not successful at a damn thing" or "Why does everyone have it better than me?" can fall out of the ether and into our consciousness from nowhere even though they are not demonstrably true evidentially. Know that if you are patient they will flutter off eventually leaving normality behind. So, believe it will get better and with time it will.

2. Look outward to help others in a task that inspires you and elevates them. So, do some voluntary work for a food bank in your local area, help at a homeless charity, get involved in your local community. Doing something worthy brings self worth rather than trying to think it into existence.

3. Practice daily gratitude because gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. So, at the end of the day ask yourself what you are grateful for as that focuses your mind on positivity and thankfulness. It can be simple things like "walking in the sunshine" or "fresh bed linen and the cold side of the pillow." It is so easy to forget what you have when you are focusing on what you don't.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Guest » Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Guest wrote:Apart from telling then how good they are? And telling them they have lost it?

You don't. There's been a lot of good advice on this thread (especially from Kat.)

Personally, I think this modern obsession with self esteem has become almost cult like and can bring more harm than good. It may cause people to become excessively self absorbed and emotionally self indulgent when looking outwards rather than inwards (in some instances) is what is needed.

Three thing spring to mind to help those that suffer:

1. Accept you are human and being human can bring low mood for no apparent reason. It's just part of the territory. Some days thoughts like "God, I look like a right munter" or "I'm not successful at a damn thing" or "Why does everyone have it better than me?" can fall out of the ether and into our consciousness from nowhere even though they are not demonstrably true evidentially. Know that if you are patient they will flutter off eventually leaving normality behind. So, believe it will get better and with time it will.

2. Look outward to help others in a task that inspires you and elevates them. So, do some voluntary work for a food bank in your local area, help at a homeless charity, get involved in your local community. Doing something worthy brings self worth rather than trying to think it into existence.

3. Practice daily gratitude because gratitude is the cornerstone of happiness. So, at the end of the day ask yourself what you are grateful for as that focuses your mind on positivity and thankfulness. It can be simple things like "walking in the sunshine" or "fresh bed linen and the cold side of the pillow." It is so easy to forget what you have when you are focusing on what you don't.

excellent post, avon.

Postby Claire » Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Kat wrote:
Guest wrote:

Good for you Kat.

Thank you first you can let the rot set in and before you know it you don't belong to the outside world i have done a lot of changes in the 2years my dad was I'll we helped each other i also haven't had a cig in 2 years come September .going helping family getting out helped me plus I was so depressed with my last job

Im glad you're getting out of a downer Kat. It's hard when your closest family is ill.
Claire

Postby Nucks » Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 am

I’d like to echo the sentiments of Kat and Avon, that it’s important not to get too caught up in yourself and disappear in your own bubble of existence. Reach out, help others, volunteer, whatever gets you out of your own head for a bit to put things in perspective.
Nucks

Postby Guest » Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 am

Surprised Dean and the cunts haven’t been on accusing Kat of self pity or trolling us over cancer. Seems to be the done thing these days to take the piss out of people that share this kind of thing on here.

Kat, really sorry to hear this, but some really useful points you make. I think you’re a good poster so please ignore anything Dean or the other nasties may say. God bless you.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms