Data Protection

A right load of bollocks...

Data Protection

Postby Stooo » Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 pm

There's a lot in the news about the new data protection laws and people getting their inboxes filled with confirmation emails asking whether they wanted to remain on a mailing list and happy to have their data shared.

I'm not going to send out individual emails to members and it would be impossible to do so with guests.

The data that we keep on you is your username, your IPs and your joining email (IPs only for guests obvs). This information is kept securely on our server and is not shared with any third party. We do not run any scripts or ads because I can't be arsed to.

That's as close to compliance that you're gonna get :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Data Protection

Postby dis » Sat May 26, 2018 7:57 pm

I don’t think the email I joined with is even working anymore.

By the way Stooo. Cheers for having this wee forum, where I can type and read drivel at my leisure. If I had a hat on, it would be off to you good sir.
Last edited by dis on Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dis

Postby Stooo » Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm

Cheers Dis! :cheers:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Star » Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 pm

That email I joined with doesn’t work either Stooo
Star

Postby Text » Sat May 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Seems the whole world wants your details these days. For free! In the past you got a nice lil discount coupon for giving out your details. Not any more.

You nip into Holland & Barret for a small item, and the teenager at the checkout is asking "And what's your email & date of birth, madame"?

I'm standing there thinking 'shurrup and just give me that bag of dried apricots, parking meter's running' :roll:
Text

Postby Dimples » Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 pm

I've gone just about completely round the bend with GDPR emails.

Despite removing myself almost religiously from every email mailing list as a matter of routine, I've been getting GDPR emails from companies I bought things from about 6 years ago and have never interacted with since then. :roll:

That said, it's a pretty big deal for work-related stuff, so we've been tightening everything up here and making sure we're fully compliant. I'm grudgingly respectful at the way in which this new regulation has been introduced so swiftly... and despite everything, I do approve of it wholeheartedly. :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby measurer » Sat May 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Canary wrote:Seems the whole world wants your details these days. For free! In the past you got a nice lil discount coupon for giving out your details. Not any more.

You nip into Holland & Barret for a small item, and the teenager at the checkout is asking "And what's your email & date of birth, madame"?

I'm standing there thinking 'shurrup and just give me that bag of dried apricots, parking meter's running' :roll:

This is so true and annoys the hell out of me. My stock reply is that I have already given it and get their emails - which get marked as Spam.The GDPR is something I have had to learn, so Stooo has it covered.

It's either you want to be here or not. Simple really.
measurer

Postby Guest » Sun May 27, 2018 12:45 am

Stooo wrote:There's a lot in the news about the new data protection laws and people getting their inboxes filled with confirmation emails asking whether they wanted to remain on a mailing list and happy to have their data shared.

I'm not going to send out individual emails to members and it would be impossible to do so with guests.

The data that we keep on you is your username, your IPs and your joining email (IPs only for guests obvs). This information is kept securely on our server and is not shared with any third party. We do not run any scripts or ads because I can't be arsed to.

That's as close to compliance that you're gonna get :thumbsup:

Everyone should use a decent proxy.

I have one for my Kodi box and it works well over all my devices, it might be expensive but works well and i only disable it to get into my online banking.

Postby Guest » Sun May 27, 2018 1:31 pm

thanks for giving us a platform, stooo. you're a good bloke.

Postby jra » Sun May 27, 2018 4:05 pm

The DPA is mostly used by organisations as a way to hide behind not giving out personal information (get out clause). An ex tenant of mine absconded owing me some rent and I wanted to find out from the police whether they were still in the UK, as they were originally from Tanzania. They wouldn't even tell me that. I wasn't asking for addresses and phone numbers. The DPA is their to protect dodgy people and criminals IMO, rather than being there for honest people.

As soon as you ask organisations regarding information about people that have committed crimes or other illegal/bad things against you, you'll be told 'sorry, we can't disclose that information'. Great.

DPA = criminal/terrorist charter.
jra

Postby Diamonds » Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 pm

I would like mine removed as it serves no purpose to me.

Regards

Diamonds
Diamonds

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Lost count of how many of those emails I've had the last week.
Binned them all without replying 'cept my miniclip one for pool.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rockstar » Mon May 28, 2018 1:14 am

Diamonds wrote:I would like mine removed as it serves no purpose to me.

Regards

Diamonds

Diamonds!!!!!
Rockstar

Postby Nucks » Mon May 28, 2018 8:25 am

The one at my workplace was given to us this morning. It basically says they can collect information from us and use it in ways they deem to be legitimate ( :ooer: ) and share it with agencies both inside and outside the EU, again, as long as it qualifies as legitimate reasons.

I could end up on Tinder or become the newest member of a Chinese triad gang. Who knows.
Nucks

Postby jra » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

Nucks wrote:The one at my workplace was given to us this morning. It basically says they can collect information from us and use it in ways they deem to be legitimate ( :ooer: ) and share it with agencies both inside and outside the EU, again, as long as it qualifies as legitimate reasons.

I could end up on Tinder or become the newest member of a Chinese triad gang. Who knows.

That's the point isn't it Nucks. They can share your info, but when it's the other way around (you want info), you'll be told to go away. Hardly a level playing field is it. The only recourse you may have is the Freedom of Information Act.
jra

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms