Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:10 am

england-world-cup-joke.png
Vicky

Re: RUSSIA 2018 - THE WORLD CUP THREAD.

Postby Dean » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:12 am

Vicks wrote:
Guest wrote:England 3 v Russia 2

Holland :pmsl: vs Sctoland :pmsl:

I don't know of this Sctoland you speak of, but Scotland the country of my birth, had a wonderful result against them in the 1978 World Cup.

What group were England in that tournament?

:header:

This thread is about the upcoming World Cup in 2018, not a history lesson from 40 years ago. Do you want to discuss what group Scotland are in at this Tournament?
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:01 am

England play Costa Rica tonight in their last warm up game before going to Russia, wow!

A stern test for Southgate's boys? :ooer:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:14 am

Trapper John wrote:England play Costa Rica tonight in their last warm up game before going to Russia, wow!

A stern test for Southgate's boys? :ooer:

It would be terrible if England lost tonight.

Morale and all that and of course the possibility of the players picking up injuries.

I can see why your worried.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:13 pm

My little Morris Dancers..

Did you know according to sports data company Gracenote, you have a 4% chance of winning the World Cup.

Even Peru are reckoned to have a better chance than England.

Don't worry when it all goes tits up, I'll be here to support you all.

Vicky

Postby Keyser » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Vicks wrote:My little Morris Dancers..

Did you know according to sports data company Gracenote, you have a 4% chance of winning the World Cup.

Even Peru are reckoned to have a better chance than England.

Don't worry when it all goes tits up, I'll be here to support you all.

Still 4% more than Scotland...
Keyser

Postby Vicky » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 pm

I mentioned the 1978 World Cup yesterday and it's one of the few occasions Scotland have qualified and England haven't.

Back in those days we had world class players and Danny McGrain and Sandy Jardine were voted the best full backs of the competition.

Of course we also had King Kenny, Joe Jordan and Graeme Souness.

Sadly the days of Scotland producing World class players are gone.

Where did it all go wrong?

:bawlin:
Vicky

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Maybe it's all them immigrants letting us down .......
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Vicky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:11 am

Following on from what I was saying yesterday..

Only six British players have been voted world player of the since the introduction of the Ballon d'or in 1956

Four from England, one from Scotland and one from Northern Ireland

George Best
Bobby Charlton
Kevin Keegan
Stanley Matthews
Michael Owen
Denis Law

Will a British player ever win it again?

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:12 am

A capacity crowd turned up at Elland Road last night to see England best Costa Rica 2-0

Gareth Southgate made ten changes from the team that beat Nigeria on Saturday.

Marcus Rashford was England's star man last night and despite a disappointing season at Man Utd, he put in a fine display and scored a fine goal.

However did he do enough to book his place on the flight to Russia?

Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:29 am

Vicks wrote:A capacity crowd turned up at Elland Road last night to see England best Costa Rica 2-0

Marcus Rashford was England's star man last night and despite a disappointing season at Man Utd, he put in a fine display and scored a fine goal.

Rashford didn't get much of a chance to play at Man Utd last season but he showed last night he's well up for this and with the withwithall to pop in a goal like that one last night, he should certainly be going to Russia.

I thought we played ok last night, again it was the first half performance that stood out and although it was against a jet lagged Costa Rica I was most impressed by the pressing when we didn't have the ball and the enthusiasm to go forward, so much different from previous sides slow patient build ups which usually resulted in nothing.

There does seem to be a better and more confident attitude between this group of players and I have to say Southgate is a lot less cautious than I thought he would be. Lets see though how they fare against a side with a bit more reputation, that will be the real test.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:33 am

Vicks wrote:Following on from what I was saying yesterday..

Only six British players have been voted world player of the since the introduction of the Ballon d'or in 1956

George Best
Bobby Charlton
Kevin Keegan
Stanley Matthews
Michael Owen
Denis Law

Arsene Wenger hated the Ballon D'or and any award made to individual players or managers for the simple reason that football is a team game and without a team around them, winners would be nothing. I make him right on that.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 am

Trapper John wrote:
Vicks wrote:A capacity crowd turned up at Elland Road last night to see England best Costa Rica 2-0

Rashford didn't get much of a chance to play at Man Utd last season but he showed last night he's well up for this and with the withwithall to pop in a goal like that one last night, he should certainly be going to Russia.

I thought we played ok last night, again it was the first half performance that stood out and although it was against a jet lagged Costa Rica I was most impressed by the pressing when we didn't have the ball and the enthusiasm to go forward, so much different from previous sides slow patient build ups which usually resulted in nothing.

There does seem to be a better and more confident attitude between this group of players and I have to say Southgate is a lot less cautious than I thought he would be. Lets see though how they fare against a side with a bit more reputation, that will be the real test.

England have a tricky opening game against Tunisia followed by Panama, who you should beat and the toughest test will come in the final game against Belgium.

England might get to the knockout stages but I don't see you reaching the semi-finals.

Most people can't see by Germany.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 am

Trapper John wrote:
Vicks wrote:Following on from what I was saying yesterday..

George Best
Bobby Charlton
Kevin Keegan
Stanley Matthews
Michael Owen
Denis Law

Arsene Wenger hated the Ballon D'or and any award made to individual players or managers for the simple reason that football is a team game and without a team around them, winners would be nothing. I make him right on that.

Sounds like sour grapes because an Arsenal player never won it.

Did you know that between 1988 and 1990 Italian players came 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Fast forward too now and Italy haven't qualified for this year's World Cup.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:04 am

Vicks wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

England have a tricky opening game against Tunisia followed by Panama, who you should beat and the toughest test will come in the final game against Belgium.

England might get to the knockout stages but I don't see you reaching the semi-finals.

Most people can't see by Germany.

I've said a couple of times on here I can't see past Germany, though they need to up their game from the little I've seen.

If England get to the quarter finals they will most likely face either Germany or Brazil always supposing those two get that far but it's gonna be tough whatever.

I think all England fans expect is that the side do their best and go out in a blaze of glory rather than like damp squibs which they have in previous WC and Euro's.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms