Dog's Football Thread #8

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Dog's Football Thread #8

Postby Punk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Punk

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:11 am

It seems the last of the old school Gunners is about to depart the Emirates. Jack Wilshere has been told by Unai Emery that although he would like him to sign the new deal he is being offered it is doubtful he would be any more than a fringe player in his new set up.

Wilshere is free to leave the club under the Bosman rule and to negotiate a new deal with another club. Wilshere is a gunner through and through and although he'd hate to leave Arsenal, playing regular football is his main priority.

There is plenty of interest in him from home and abroad with the main Premier League spotlight coming from West Ham and Everton and foreign interest from AC Milan and Juventus.

Vereran keeper Petr Cech is also set to move, with Napoli keen to get his signature. Number 2 keeper David Ospina looks set to join Turkish side Fenerbache with the whole of Arsenal's back four under scrutiny with a host of new and possible signings coming in.

By the time the transfer committee is finished, Arsenal could have an almost unrecognisable team take the field against Man City on the first day of the new season, I hope Emery is up to the fight to make these new players gel into a team.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Quick update on the domestic front.

As I suggested earlier Jack Wilshere will leave Arsenal when his contract expires in ten days time. Sad to see a true Gooner go, particularly as it appears his injury woes have largely been left behind. Still only 26 years old, he'll be an absolute snip for whoever gets him and there's plenty of interest.

Also as I said the other day, Bernd Leno the 26 year old Bayer Leverkusen keeper was unveiled yesterday as Arsenal's new No.1 keeper.

Talking of goalkeepers, Lukas Fabianski has signed for West Ham from relegated Swansea. Known as 'Flappyanski' when he played for Arsenal ealy in his career, he is now a much improved and a pretty decent keeper.

Arsenal are now front runners to sign Portuguese attacker Gelson Martins on a free transfer after he and other Sporting Lisbon players terminated their contracts at the club following attacks they were subjected to by SL ultras whilst at the clubs training ground, angry that they failed to get the club into the champions league. Personally I think the legal implications will make this supposed move a non starter.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby VelvetCat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 pm

Decent start for us next season, Bolton at home our first match, then off to Nottingham Forest for our first away game which is being televised by Sky.

We play Blues on the September 15th at St Andrews, the return fixture is on March 30th.

And the two I can't wait for! We play Villa at The Hawthorns on December 8th, and at Villa Park on February 16th. Last match of the season is Derby away. Hopefully we will be celebrating promotion back to the Premier League by then.

Three of our players have left the club, Boaz Myhill, Gareth McCauley and Claudio Yacob. All extremely good players and I wish them every success in the rest of their careers.
VelvetCat

Location: The Hawthorns, loaned to the Championship for another season!

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:42 am

Lost track a bit on news from home but it seems the new broom is continuing to sweep at the Emirates, World Cup or not.

Jack Wilshere has been released and he has said he's keeping his options open even where moving abroad is concerned. Santi Cazorla has also gone which is hardly surprising as the magic little midfielder has suffered probably career ending injury.

Most surprising for me is the news that Per Mertesacker has also been released. The German defender was always due to finish his playing career this summer but was taking up a position as youth coach at Arsenal. That now seems to be a non starter, it's not clear yet whose decision that has been?

In all, 12 players have been released since the new regime took full control, most have been academy youngsters but there have been some prospects signing renewed or full professional contracts with Arsenal.

Petr Cech has decided to fulfil his contract at Arsenal despite interest from Napoli and the arrival of Bernd Leno from the Bundesliga. I doubt his driving force was to compete for a place with the young German, more that his family life revolves around staying in London.

Also, it's said that Unai Emery has convinced Calum Chambers to sign a new deal, the young defender was left out in the cold a bit under Wenger but loan spells and 'beefing up' a bit saw the player put in some pretty good performances when he got his chance and he's obviously impressed behind closed doors.

I would imagine there are still some more moves afoot in the comings and goings stakes but we'll have to wait until the World Cup finishes for much more to become clearer.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:33 am

News of new additions to the squad at Arsenal has gone a bit quiet of late but those mentioned still appear to be on track.

Having already secured the services of Swiss national team captain Stephen Lichsteiner and Bayer Leverkusen keeper Bernd Leno, deals for the other two most heavily linked players for a move to Arsenal appear to be reaching their conclusions.

It is expected that Greek Borussia Dortmund central defender, Sokratis Papastathopoulos, will be announced as an Arsenal player early this coming week, after successfully completing a medical at Arsenal's London Colney training ground.

There had been rumours that the deal for Sampdoria's Uruguayan midfielder, Lucas Torreira, had hit a snag over the player's personal terms. As he is currently on duty with the national team in Russia, having been a key player in yesterday's defeat of Portugal, it seems the 'snag' was agent related and now appears to be 'un-snagged' - with the player expected to sign a contract as soon as Uruguay cease to have any further interest in the tournament or the end of it - whichever comes first.

Arsenal have put money up front with the only relief on the wages bill, most of which will be swallowed up by new signings. So having already covered wages for Lichsteiner, paid £17-19million for Bernd Leno, £17million for Papastathopoulos and an expected £25million + for Torreira, it's clear the gunners will be selling some 'names' before the new season starts - the big question for Arsenal fans is who?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:30 am

News of Arsenal's forgotten man:

Out of 'Wenger' favour and rarely getting a chance in the first team, front man Lucas Perez has reported early for training at Arsenal's London Colney complex. The Spaniard appears to be buoyed up by the fact that fellow Spaniard and manager Unai Emery might give him a better chance of 'kick starting' his career which almost ground to a halt on joining the gunners in 2016 and is out to impress.

I like Perez, on the few occasions I saw him play in an Arsenal shirt he seemed to be well up for it, skilled on the ball with a lovely touch. He only appeared 11 times for the gunners in the Premier league, all from the bench and scored 1 goal.

However he did much better in cup games where he got starts and longer spells on the pitch netting 3 goals in 7 domestic cup ties and 3 goals in 3 champions league matches.

His stats tell a reasonable story too. He played just 947 minutes in red and white and scored 7 goals out of a potential 1890 appearance minutes - which equates to a goal every one and a half games.

His FIFA stat strengths are listed as 'Strong' for: Key passes - Taking set-pieces - Through balls - Crossing - Holding on to the ball. All those things I saw when he played for us.

His weaknesses are: Poor in aerial duels (not surprising for a 5' 9" player) and an unwillingness to defend (probably that which failed to impress Wenger.)

He was out on loan at Deportivo la Coruna last season where he showed considerbly better than average performance stats across his 35 appearances, scored 6 goals and made 8 assists.

I reckon he's worth another try in an Arsenal shirt over an extended period, we could easily find ourselves short of strikers what with losing Giroud and Welbeck likely to be on his way out.

He was out on loan at Deportivo la Coruna last season where he showed considerbly better than average performances across his 35 appearances, scored 6 goals and made 8 assists.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Punk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 pm

Pre-season friendlies are under way and we secured a decent 1-1 with Dundee the other day. :header: We should finish top 4, in theory.
Punk

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:07 am

In Arsenal news:

Lukas Torreira, Sampdoria's Uruguyan midfielder is due to take his medical at Arsenal's London Colney training complex today and all being well should be an Arsenal player before he flies back to Uruguay later after an impressive world cup outing for his country.

Along with Suarez and Cavani, he was a stand-out player in their campaign, his work rate and skill on the ball were exceptional and he'll be a real boost to the new Arsenal Unai Emery and the football directors are building at the Emirates.

Also said to be taking a medical today and signing a 5 year deal is French side Lorient's defender Matteo Guendouzi. At just 19 years of age the David Luiz lookalike is a sign that defence is a key target for Arsenal going forward.

One player on his way out is long lost (so it seems) Joel Campbell. After impressing at the Brazil world cup for Costa Rica he's had little chance at Arsenal and spent much of his time out on loan. Lazio have now made a bid to take him permanently and the Gunners are keen to accept.

Also, aging but still useful defender Nacho Monreal is said to be the target of Spanish side Real Sociedad and is expected to leave soon.

Lastly, Jack Wilshere who was released earlier this month after failing to accept his new contract is said to have passed a medical with West Ham and is expected to be announced as a player for the Hammers today. Staying in London and the promise of first team football were said to be the deciding factors in his move east, despite interest from home and abroad.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Biggest transfer of the summer by a long, long way.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Juventus to sign Real Madrid forward
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44785173

I'm not surprised he's moved, he's done all he can do at Real.
I think the Juve fans' reaction to his goal against them in the CL might have swung it for him.

Postby Punk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Guest wrote:Biggest transfer of the summer by a long, long way.

I think the Juve fans' reaction to his goal against them in the CL might have swung it for him.

They will sell 10 million Ronaldo shirts this year.
Punk

Postby Punk » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Tonight sees the start of Champions League and Europa League qualifying. Celtic bizarrely are playing in the first qualifying round against Armenia's Alashkert, score at the moment is 0-3 to Celtic.

Rangers play Shkupi on Thursday at Ibrox. Hibernian play NSÍ Runavík
Punk

Postby Punk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 am

The Scottish football season starts on Saturday, 'Mon the Hedge.
Punk

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:16 am

Punk wrote:
Guest wrote:Biggest transfer of the summer by a long, long way.

They will sell 10 million Ronaldo shirts this year.

Ronaldo knows where his bread is buttered. His reported £26million wages will be subject to 43% tax in Italy but his endorsements, appearances and licensing agreements which earn him another £40million + each season are taxed differently and it's been worked out he'll pay just £88,000 all told on those.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:38 am

Chelsea players continue their habit of getting rid of managers they don't like with the dismisal of Antonio Conte who never returned to their Cobham training ground for the new season, with owner Roman Abramovich finally sacking the Italian.

The Russian owner has now spent a little under £90million getting rid of managers and backroom staff since taking over at the West London club.

Ex Napoli coach, Maurizio Sarri, is expected to replace him in the next few days.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms