Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby MG2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
You’ll love Barclay. He’s so good. And new enough it’s not a battle to buy and read his bibliography :gigglesnshit: I prefer him to Coben. And Mo Hayder. She’s got an even smaller bibliography, but she is amazing. Most of her books are part of the Jack Caffery series so best read in order, but there’s a few stand Aimee too. She’s excellent, a bit darker than most thrillers, almost horror like.

Stephanie plum is just funny. She’s a bounty hunter who gets herself into pickles.

I agree Barclay is better than Coben. And I read all the Scarpetta's, was obsessed with them a few years back. Mo hayder, check her off the list too, those books are good.
MG2

Postby MG2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Dimples wrote:
MG2 wrote:I ran out of fiction books so started to read Bedlam about the Asylum. It's really fascinating.

Got to the library and have The Zookeepers Wife. Good so far. Now I am reading two books and I'm not sure I enjoy the experience as much as one at a time.

I couldn't decide if I liked The Zookeeper's Wife or not. It was sort of interesting... and yet at the same time, a bit tedious in places. :ooer:

I've just finished it and couldn't agree more. Very moving and what amazingly brave people but some of the text read badly and seemed to be missing something. Take Badger, for instance. Will put this into a spoiler just in case

Spoiler: show
he ran off for goodness sake, they hadn't seen him for years and there was nothing written about how amazing it was that he was returned, same goes for the slut cat!

Anyway that made less of the book for me.
MG2

Postby Claire » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:36 am

Dimples wrote:
Claire wrote:
Dimples wrote:I'm now reading Eleanor Oliphant.

So far so good. :thumbsup:

She reminds me of Fen a bit. I think that's why I liked the character so much.

I'm not all that far into the book as yet... so still forming an opinion of her. I've certainly had a little chuckle or two at her turn of phrase. :gigglesnshit:

Aye she's really funny. Great first book from the author. I read a review of it in the Herald, so bought it. I'm glad I did.
Claire

Postby malamute » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:19 pm

finished Eleanor Oliphant on holiday and it was perfect holiday reading. Ms Honeyman is very talented and I’m amazed how she can fit so many witty and funny comments on every single page.

I have just started Karin Slaughters book The Good Daughter but I’ve just realised its set in the US. I dont really like books set in America .... no idea why, I just dont. But I paid full price for it so I will carry on.
malamute

Postby MG2 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:41 pm

malamute wrote:finished Eleanor Oliphant on holiday and it was perfect holiday reading. Ms Honeyman is very talented and I’m amazed how she can fit so many witty and funny comments on every single page.

I have just started Karin Slaughters book The Good Daughter but I’ve just realised its set in the US. I dont really like books set in America .... no idea why, I just dont. But I paid full price for it so I will carry on.

Funny how settings can put you off. I seek out Aus thrillers and like US ones in general. I am not keen on those set in Europe so much.

For instance love Peter May, his trilogy set in Lewis is great but he has also written a series set in France and I don't like them at all.

Anyway, currently reading The Murder Bag by Tony Parsons. It's pretty good so far.
MG2

Postby malamute » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:25 pm

I’ve temporarily moved to a novel about nurses in the 1950s by Nadine Dorries.
malamute

Postby Dimples » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:07 pm

malamute wrote:I’ve temporarily moved to a novel about nurses in the 1950s by Nadine Dorries.

Despite being a former nurse and inevitably drawn to books about nursing in bygone ages, I've made it my business never to read anything written by Nadine Dorries...

... because she's a bloody Tory! :grrrrr:

However, if you do get an opportunity to read "One Pair of Feet" by Monica Dickens, do read it. It might be tricky to acquire in print, but is is available on Kindle. It is set during WW2 and relates an account of the author undertaking student nurse training. I read it many years ago when I was a student nurse myself. Be warned - it is a book of its era and not necessarily always politically correct by modern standards - but it is still an excellent read and very amusing. I trained in the 1980s... and believe me, there was a lot which had not changed in 40 years, even then! :gigglesnshit:
Dimples

Postby Keyser » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:02 am

Dimples wrote:
malamute wrote:I’ve temporarily moved to a novel about nurses in the 1950s by Nadine Dorries.

Despite being a former nurse and inevitably drawn to books about nursing in bygone ages, I've made it my business never to read anything written by Nadine Dorries...

However, if you do get an opportunity to read "One Pair of Feet" by Monica Dickens, do read it. It might be tricky to acquire in print, but is is available on Kindle. It is set during WW2 and relates an account of the author undertaking student nurse training. I read it many years ago when I was a student nurse myself. Be warned - it is a book of its era and not necessarily always politically correct by modern standards - but it is still an excellent read and very amusing. I trained in the 1980s... and believe me, there was a lot which had not changed in 40 years, even then! :gigglesnshit:

Was that you in the Singing Detective?

I hope so. :leer:
Keyser

Postby Gerst » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am

Dimples wrote:Despite being a former nurse and inevitably drawn to books about nursing in bygone ages, I've made it my business never to read anything written by Nadine Dorries...

You can acquire pretty much anything in print now with t'internet.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... ir+of+Feet
Gerst

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Gerst wrote:
Dimples wrote:Despite being a former nurse and inevitably drawn to books about nursing in bygone ages, I've made it my business never to read anything written by Nadine Dorries...

You can acquire pretty much anything in print now with t'internet.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... ir+of+Feet

Ooh! I had no idea that it had been re-issued so many times and that there are so many versions still around.

My copy is from 1953 - published by Mermaid Books - I inherited it and it's one of my favourite old books. :wubbers:
Dimples

Postby Dimples » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Keyser wrote:
Dimples wrote:

:dunno:
Dimples

Postby Gerst » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Dimples wrote:Ooh! I had no idea that it had been re-issued so many times and that there are so many versions still around.

My copy is from 1953 - published by Mermaid Books - I inherited it and it's one of my favourite old books. :wubbers:

I've just ordered a copy from 1956. I enjoy reading memoirs, and this seems like a bit of interesting social history too. It will also be interesting to see if ward nurses back then considered quietness at night to be of any importance, as they certainly don't now. :grrrrr:
Gerst

Postby Keyser » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Dimples wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Dimples wrote:

:dunno:

:laughing:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4562/2672 ... aa4f_b.jpg
Keyser

Postby MG2 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:44 am

Currently reading A Streetcat Named Bob. Not the most brilliant writing but heartwarming and very real.
MG2

Postby Keyser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:42 pm

As a young child these were two of my favourite books ever - read cover to cover so many times - and I still have them (albeit Mysterious World lost it's dust jacket decades ago).

I always loved nature, astronomy, science and mystery. :cuppaT:

Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug