Thai Cave Rescue

Thai Cave Rescue

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:23 pm

After 9 days missing, 12 Thai school boys aged between 11 and 16 and their 25 year old football coach have been found alive in flooded caves.

Now they have been found, they have to figure out a way to get them out. The floodwaters arenunlikely to recede until the end of rainy season, around September/October. There is a risk that the waters will still rise, and efforts to pump out the water have so far failed.
There is an option of teaching the boys to dive, but some of them can’t even swim, and the water is very dark and muddy and the dive would be very risky.
Drilling isn’t really an option as there is no infrastructure in place to get the drills to where they’d need to be.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44691457

It’s an awful situation, but a huge relief they’ve been found alive and as well as they can be after 4 days without food. I’d hate to be a parent in that situation. I think I’d rather go for the wait it out option, if I could go and live in the cave with them.

Live updates:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jul/02/thailand-cave-rescue-divers-search-for-missing-football-team-live
NastyNickers

Re: Thai Cave Rescue

Postby George » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm

A really good news story. I have not read any updates but this mornings said one of the options would be to teach the kids to dive but with risks as you said but alternatively staying down there for months seems worse
George

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:35 pm

George wrote:A really good news story. I have not read any updates but this mornings said one of the options would be to teach the kids to dive but with risks as you said but alternatively staying down there for months seems worse

I honestly don’t know what I’d find more horrifying as a parent. I’d want them to be as safe as possible, so the diving is too risky an option. But how do you rest when your child is in a cave for months and months?

Eugh. Horrific situation.

Last I read they said they were taking their time and waiting for the kids to gain some strength back after the 9 days of not eating. Apparently they are in good menta health, which I find outstanding considering they’ve had 9 days with no food, total darkness and no other human contact. :yikes:
NastyNickers

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:49 pm

Medics have been in

they have high energy food and all appear to physically well

I guess they are weighing up the options now
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Me Again » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:30 pm

I don't think this is going to end as well as some are hoping. The cave system itself is a fucking nightmare to navigate, they're two and half miles in and it requires people who can climb, swim and dive to get in and out. None of those young lads can even swim. There's a serious risk of more flooding. I honestly think they're going to die down there, I hope I'm wrong.
Me Again

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Reminds me of the Chilean miners rescue in 2010 where they drilled into the mountain and dragged them out in steel shuttles.
I was unwell in Portugal that week and lay on a couch watching the only English channel we could get .... BBC 24 NEWS.
I was hooked.
Fascinating.
They pulled it off against the odds.
This one is much harder by the sounds of things.
I'm amazed the kids have stayed sane!
Must have been very frightening.
I agree this could yet end in disaster.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:23 am

I heard yesterday that Thai authorities are considering prosecuting the boy's football coach for taking them into a dangerous situation.

I think it's nothing short of miraculous that they've all been found alive, it was British cave divers, a part time rescue team who found them, apparently these blokes are the best in the world in situations like this and they certainly proved it. Well done.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby MG2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:29 pm

It's better than the alternative but what effect will months in a cave have on the boys?

I'm hoping some country has the technology to help get the out sooner. I do worry about more floods and hope there is higher ground as I too can see this going terribly.
MG2

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I heard on the radio before that they are worried about more rain this coming Friday and think they need them out before then?

I’ll need to google. But that looks like it gives it a whole new urgency.
NastyNickers

Postby MG2 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:17 pm

NastyNickers wrote:I heard on the radio before that they are worried about more rain this coming Friday and think they need them out before then?

I’ll need to google. But that looks like it gives it a whole new urgency.

Jesus.
MG2

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:59 am

Lots of anxious Thai mums on the BBC news

But I didn't see any that looked like "hairy arsed stokers"
We need expert advice from McAz and Cannydc to confirm.
MungoBrush

Postby McAz » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:05 am

MungoBrush wrote:Lots of anxious Thai mums on the BBC news

What do hairy-arsed stokers look like? :dunno:
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 am

Is anyone seriously surprised that yet another serious thread has been devalued by Mungo ?

The kids could well be out within the week. The water level is dropping by a foot every 24 hours, making dives that bit shorter, and the are planning to basically bring them out one at a time (strongest first) having first shown them the rudiments of diving. They will use full face masks, and guide ropes.
Cannydc

Postby MungoBrush » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:00 pm

McAz wrote:

I have no idea, but you should
You are the one that posted that vile racist post a couple of weeks ago.
MungoBrush

Postby Punk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
McAz wrote:

I have no idea, but you should
You are the one that posted that vile racist post a couple of weeks ago.

No that was you, who posted that racist shyte about people coming over here dressing in their own clothes etc. :shake head:
Punk

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs