Lady Murasaki wrote:
Minime wrote:The Gaia hypothesis, also known as Gaia
theory or Gaia principle, proposes that all
organisms and their inorganic surroundings
on Earth are closely integrated to form a
single and self-regulating complex system,
maintaining the conditions for life on the
planet.

A fascinating read and a warning NOT to meddle too much with a highly complex but natural self-regulation.

https://courses.seas.harvard.edu/climat ... ipedia.pdf

Also this:

In Greek mythology, Gaia . . . is the personification of the Earth and one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia is the ancestral mother of all life: the primal Mother Earth goddess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia

Most of the creation stories tell of the interconnectedness of all forms of life.
The older, more pagan beliefs were far more in tune with nature so could see how everything was linked and understood the systems.

I think there's a very strong argument about the human race being too intelligent for its own good and for the good of the planet.

If we want to be like gods on this Earth then we need to be benign and beneficent and not be the destructive force that we are.

We need to evolve into living in harmony with the planet and not impose our selfish desires on it. I think we can all contribute to this even if only in very small ways. I love the phrase 'tread lightly on this Earth'.

custodians of the earth

it's why I believe so strongly in good husbandry paractices, particularly in farming
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Re: The Science And Nature Thread #2

Postby Minime » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Minime wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Minime wrote:The Gaia hypothesis, also known as Gaia
theory or Gaia principle, proposes that all
organisms and their inorganic surroundings
on Earth are closely integrated to form a
single and self-regulating complex system,
maintaining the conditions for life on the
planet.

A fascinating read and a warning NOT to meddle too much with a highly complex but natural self-regulation.

https://courses.seas.harvard.edu/climat ... ipedia.pdf

Also this:

In Greek mythology, Gaia . . . is the personification of the Earth and one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia is the ancestral mother of all life: the primal Mother Earth goddess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia

Most of the creation stories tell of the interconnectedness of all forms of life.
The older, more pagan beliefs were far more in tune with nature so could see how everything was linked and understood the systems.

I think there's a very strong argument about the human race being too intelligent for its own good and for the good of the planet.

If we want to be like gods on this Earth then we need to be benign and beneficent and not be the destructive force that we are.

We need to evolve into living in harmony with the planet and not impose our selfish desires on it. I think we can all contribute to this even if only in very small ways. I love the phrase 'tread lightly on this Earth'.

It seems to be the need to control and not accept our frailties and weaknesses that’s our downfall.
Being a god isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, it’s just smoke and mirrors.
I love that phrase too but doesn’t everyone want to leave their mark?

I think this quote from Measure For Measureis relevant:

but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he’s most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep;

Of course, there is also a lot of good and I hope that the next few centuries bring a far more widespread responsible attitude towards the care of this planet particularly from those whose decisions directly affect the well-being of everyone and everything.

I agree that people want to leaver their mark in some way but it's what type of mark that's important. I'm sure most people who have children want the best for them, it's just a pity that certain groups, corporations, individuals are so selfish that they don't want the best for all children and for all the people who share the planet.
Minime

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Does the mark matter? As long as you feel you’ve made a difference.
The natural order takes over in the end anyway.
Nature always wins. :smilin:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Keyser » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Does the mark matter? As long as you feel you’ve made a difference.
The natural order takes over in the end anyway.
Nature always wins. :smilin:

Entropy wins - the Heat Death of the Universe will eventually prove that. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Incredibly rare footage of a living Mesonychoteuthis (Colossal Squid) the heaviest invertebrate on the planet. :cuppaT:

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:22 pm

You can see from the links what the stories are about - sometimes I don't have time to explain them all.
Keyser

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Keyser wrote:

You can see from the links what the stories are about - sometimes I don't have time to explain them all.

You always seem to have a lot of time on here. Anyway, links get shortened so you cant see the subject

Postby Nucks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Guest wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Anyway, links get shortened so you cant see the subject

At the risk of being a dick :gigglesnshit: , I’m going to agree with guest. A brief description of the link would be better if the idea is to get people to read/watch what you’ve posted. :more beer:
Nucks

Postby Keyser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:16 pm

Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Anyway, links get shortened so you cant see the subject

At the risk of being a dick :gigglesnshit: , I’m going to agree with guest. A brief description of the link would be better if the idea is to get people to read/watch what you’ve posted. :more beer:

Fair enough. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby charlie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Keyser wrote:Incredibly rare footage of a living Mesonychoteuthis (Colossal Squid) the heaviest invertebrate on the planet. :cuppaT:

Doesn't look that 'colossal' to me?

Where is this 'Behemoth' from ancient mariner tales that sank ships? :dunno:
charlie

Postby Keyser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:34 pm

charlie wrote:
Keyser wrote:Incredibly rare footage of a living Mesonychoteuthis (Colossal Squid) the heaviest invertebrate on the planet. :cuppaT:

Doesn't look that 'colossal' to me?

Where is this 'Behemoth' from ancient mariner tales that sank ships? :dunno:

Legends always grow in the telling and they were probably referring to the longer (but lighter and less well armed) Architeuthis (Giant squid).

Even so Messy is still a substantial creature - this specimen is only half grown.

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:43 pm

This is a nice image of the largest known living cephalopods (at maximum known sizes).

Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms