Can we give up plastic?

Re: Can we give up plastic?

Postby Maddog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:20 pm

The rate of population growth has been dropping for decades. Its actually negative in many western countries. The world has plenty of resources at the rate we are going, when you take new technology into account.

Hemp is grown all over the world including the US and Canada. It may help to some degree, but it takes farmland out of food crop production which is always a.problem. It's kind of like the ethanol we mix with our fuel over here. Not sure it's wise to subsidize farmers to grow corn that we turn into fuel, with plenty of oil still in the ground and other forms of energy coming on so strong.
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Thing with hemp is can bring into land which is not being used for food crops
Rough pasture land mountainsides scrub landfill sites and so on.
There's a large hemp farm on Anglesey on part of the north east coast which was land doing nothing because it is ravaged by sandy and salty winds.
The hemp crop does fine.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Thing with hemp is can bring into land which is not being used for food crops
There's a large hemp farm on Anglesey on part of the north east coast which was land doing nothing because it is ravaged by sandy and salty winds.
The hemp crop does fine.

That's interesting, Jack. Do you know what the crop's being used for at all?

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:53 am

I only use cash

Postby Holly » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:56 am

I'm glad NZ has finally banned plastic straws...just look what it does to our wild life :bawlin:

I seriously hope we get rid of all plastic. FGS, We don't need it!
Holly
Site Admin

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:29 am

Holly wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Instead of giving them up we need to change what they're made from.
Hemp.
Mass planting on a global scale would give us all the paper and plastic and diesel we need.
It'll grow in every country on almost any soil with no chemicals and it improves the soil and saves the forests.

Yes, that a good idea and sounds appealing, but how long will that take to accomplish?

one year! 4 harvests a year, 2 in the UK
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am

Cannydc wrote:In much the same way that we have (by needs must) developed hi-tech solutions for CFCs, exhaust pollutants (catalysers), and developed electric cars, so as demand rises we shall, and already have developed bio-degradable and crucially cheap, practical versions of plastic.

Carbon hasn't the atomic mass to remain in the stratosphere for long. In the troposphere a day two at the most. Dependant on local climate conditions and compounds. The exosphere is likely to have a high carbon content. I think carbon nano tubes would be found? clorine a derivative of sodium salt, Florine not investigated that.

The claim for CFCs was it would remain and multiply in the upper atmosphere increasing the size of the hole for decades or even centuries. Since then we actually know more about the climate.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:40 am

Or was it floride? A common toxic chemical by product.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:44 am

Maddog wrote:The rate of population growth has been dropping for decades. Its actually negative in many western countries. The world has plenty of resources at the rate we are going, when you take new technology into account.

Hemp is grown all over the world including the US and Canada. It may help to some degree, but it takes farmland out of food crop production which is always a.problem. It's kind of like the ethanol we mix with our fuel over here. Not sure it's wise to subsidize farmers to grow corn that we turn into fuel, with plenty of oil still in the ground and other forms of energy coming on so strong.

I remeber reading about ethonol from corn. It wasn't very promising! High water consumption. And a few other things including subsidies.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Can hemp save the planet?
Jack Herer reckons so.

If you can prove him wrong you can claim $100,000.
The Emperor Wears No Clothes. https://jackherer.com/emperor-3/

:leer: ever tried his strain?

An excelent adventure. Though I think it should be reworked. There have been many more studies since.

A $100.00 go on his sight you can read it for free. Then again not been on for ??? a decade.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Holly wrote:How would we go without plastic? Can we do without straws, nappies, drink bottles, takeaway containers, shopping bags, food wrappers, ice cream containers, buckets, microwave dishes, storage containers etc...the list is without end...can we do it?
If so, how will we manage?...any ideas?

Hydro carbons can very easily be reworked. The covalent bonds can easily be minipulated. Boil crude, syphon off high octane, petrol, parafin, Vicks (petrolium gel), plastic and tar. Burn it even, we have furnaces that are capable.

What pisses me off is many food are packaged that don't need to be. In fact meat sours if left, it should be able to breath. Bannanas used to taste better, tomatoes, raspberries. The only reason it is used instead of paper is tax. Small market shops and stalls where put out of business and the suporting producers where amagamated onto a mono agri (culture, so much for preserving our cultural heritage :grrrrr: ) conglomerate.

I have wanted a victorian garden since I was a about ten!
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm

An experiment on climate you can all do. Water is the smalest molecule. Carbon large. Water passes through silicates (stones) carbon dosen't.

Get a bucket. Fill it first with gravel, then with sand on top. Put it on the floor of the passenger seat before driving to work.

Now remember the earth is a sphere inside a bubble of water.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Should have probably said that many years ago.It was just at the times I could have I got distracted and well forgot.
art0hur0moh

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Guest wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Thing with hemp is can bring into land which is not being used for food crops
The hemp crop does fine.

That's interesting, Jack. Do you know what the crop's being used for at all?

Afraid not.
The talk at the time was it was a textile company and it may well have been but Holland Barrett now need a supply of CBD so it could be for that.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:30 pm

The hardest task is going to be how to get it out of the oceans! Use the current and nets. Another hazard. Thing is small fish seek protection under flotsam. A change in how the bow of ships are used diverted through the plastic seas.
art0hur0moh

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs