Can we give up plastic?

Re: Can we give up plastic?

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Most of the plastic we manufacture is for cheap throw away crap.
Not only are we killing the oceans we're using a valuable resource to manufacture stuff to throw away!

Welcome to the human race. The average human doesn't give a shit about the environment, as long as we've got our houses, cars, computers, other electronic stuff, luxury items then we're happy.

If you want the plastic problem to go away, humans should stop making non-biodegradable plastic, and we'll see how that goes.

Humans are a self centered, arrogant, selfish, violent species and that's it.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:37 am

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Most of the plastic we manufacture is for cheap throw away crap.
Not only are we killing the oceans we're using a valuable resource to manufacture stuff to throw away!

Welcome to the human race. The average human doesn't give a shit about the environment, as long as we've got our houses, cars, computers, other electronic stuff, luxury items then we're happy.

If you want the plastic problem to go away, humans should stop making non-biodegradable plastic, and we'll see how that goes.

That's not it, at all.
Humans are much more than that.
Must be tough having a family like that.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:38 am

Cannydc wrote:
jra wrote:This is one of the many reasons I worship the Sun, not a god. The Sun can deal with disposed plastic via UV rays (takes a while sometimes), whereas any god has done very little to tidy up the environment.

Which brings me onto this from the great man.

George Carlin --- Religion is Bullshit

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

Some would assert that "any god" gave mankind the option to not pollute the single planet we are capable of inhabiting in the first place.

I just think we are too greedy and to stupid as a species to even care until it's all too late.

I'd agree with that.

How to fuck up a planet = humans + too many.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:39 am

I must try and get back to sleep soon!
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:40 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

That's not it, at all.

What's family got to do with it?
Last edited by jra on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:41 am

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

That's not it, at all.

What's family got do with it?

They are the humans closest to you no?
Those humans that are so shit.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:43 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

That's not it, at all.

It was a generalization. :shake head:
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:49 am

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

That's not it, at all.

A misguided one but at least it sounds like you might have decent family who maybe hold out more hope for the future?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby calitom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 am

for eff sakes...carlin was a legendary entertainer and a guy who made points by exaggerating truths. U dont have to believe everything he says to appreciate his good points.
He does a routine that is brilliant where he states that the united states is bullshit in all ways. --He is dealing with the KERNEL of a truth there. Thats what strikes home. He doesnt literally mean that the united states is 100 % bullshit. The USA is no more than 85% bullshit.
calitom

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:07 am

calitom wrote:for eff sakes...carlin was a legendary entertainer and a guy who made points by exaggerating truths. U dont have to believe everything he says to appreciate his good points.
He does a routine that is brilliant where he states that the united states is bullshit in all ways. --He is dealing with the KERNEL of a truth there. Thats what strikes home. He doesnt literally mean that the united states is 100 % bullshit. The USA is no more than 85% bullshit.

That's very true Tom.
People seem to forget he had to research read write it all down rehearse it and brilliant he was too.
He was into the nuances of words and language and for me was America's best ever entertaining social commentator.
He wasn't a great philosopher.
He wasn't a politician a theologian a doctor or an airline worker but he covered it all with great knowledge and insights.
A the end of the day he was a drug fueled entertainer of the highest calibre.
Didn't care who he pissed off along the way.
But no the earth is not okay with millions upon millions of tons of fucking plastic now coming back to bite us on the arse.
It's not a new paradigm.
I can't sleep.
Looks like I might nod off for an hour shortly and then I'll be up and about again.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby calitom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
calitom wrote:for eff sakes...carlin was a legendary entertainer and a guy who made points by exaggerating truths. U dont have to believe everything he says to appreciate his good points.

That's very true Tom.
People seem to forget he had to research read write it all down rehearse it and brilliant he was too.
He was into the nuances of words and language and for me was America's best ever entertaining social commentator.
He wasn't a great philosopher.
He wasn't a politician a theologian a doctor or an airline worker but he covered it all with great knowledge and insights.
A the end of the day he was a drug fueled entertainer of the highest calibre.
Didn't care who he pissed off along the way.
But no the earth is not okay with millions upon millions of tons of fucking plastic now coming back to bite us on the arse.
It's not a new paradigm.
I can't sleep.
Looks like I might nod off for an hour shortly and then I'll be up and about again.

Well said Jack. Cheers
calitom

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:That's not it, at all.

A misguided one but at least it sounds like you might have decent family who maybe hold out more hope for the future?

I'd like to agree with you, but I can't.

That is my general perception of the human species. I give the human race as little as 500 years before self-destruction the way things are going, unless we generally and drastically change our ways. Most of the problems on Earth are caused by human over population and that includes the amount of rubbish discarded, in this case plastic. The trouble with the human race is we don't learn from our mistakes and we are mostly working against nature, not with it. Plastic in itself isn't the problem, it's the amount of plastic. Fewer humans = less plastic.
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:31 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:What's family got do with it?

That is my general perception of the human species. I give the human race as little as 500 years before self-destruction the way things are going, unless we generally and drastically change our ways. Most of the problems on Earth are caused by human over population and that includes the amount of rubbish discarded, in this case plastic. The trouble with the human race is we don't learn from our mistakes and we are mostly working against nature, not with it. Plastic in itself isn't the problem, it's the amount of plastic. Fewer humans = less plastic.

wE can make a different kind of plastic from cellulose.
The oil companies stand in the way of that not overpopulated citizens.
Paper can be made from hemp loads cheaper than paper from trees but again big business stands in the way.
A tree for paper takes years to grow where hemp can be cropped three times a year.
There are many solutions and a global population that can all stand shoulder to shoulder in North Wales is exaggerated as the problem.
The population in many places is declining and it isn't that difficult to control and bring it down in other places.
It's money that is the world's number one cause of just about every problem on the planet.
The way it's created and put into circulation is the main probelem then the wealth distribution is next.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby jra » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:They are the humans closest to you no?

Paper can be made from hemp loads cheaper than paper from trees but again big business stands in the way.
A tree for paper takes years to grow where hemp can be cropped three times a year.
There are many solutions and a global population that can all stand shoulder to shoulder in North Wales is exaggerated as the problem.
The population in many places is declining and it isn't that difficult to control and bring it down in other places.
It's money that is the world's number one cause of just about every problem on the planet.
The way it's created and put into circulation is the main probelem then the wealth distribution is next.

We can make a difference, but essentially it's just delaying the fateful day. However, most humans are here for the now, not for the long term future, hence my comment below.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=1538484&sid=d4ecdf1bf177872abcf68b90c797efa4#pr1538197
jra

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:

We can make a difference, but essentially it's just delaying the fateful day. However, most humans are here for the now, not for the long term future, hence my comment below.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=20&p=1538484&sid=d4ecdf1bf177872abcf68b90c797efa4#pr1538197

You keep telling me the average person doesn't care J but you must be surrounded by below average people because I'm surrounded by people who care and worry.
If you're surrounded by people who don't give a shit it's probably because they need education.
Sure I see the car in front of me chuck the rubbish from McDonalds and I want to stab the bastards but that's because tey are dragged up to think their space in their shiny little Nova is more important than everyone else's space.
People need educating.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs