TV Shows.

Re: TV Shows.

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:45 pm

Bodyguard has got even worse!

So far-fetched it's almost a spoof.

Mercurio clearly know nothing about politics or the security services.

Yet it's a big hit.
Ray of Sunshine

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 pm

I've almost up to date with Love Island Australia and am hooked.

Eden is a nutter
Cassidy is actually insane
Erin is amazingly dense
Millie is cross eyed
Grant is playing the game
Teyla is nice

I have other opinions as well.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Nucks » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Sky1 has a new Karl Pilkington show coming on 27th September called ‘Sick of It’. Seeing as Mr N is a big fan of anything Gervais related, we’ll be checking it out. No input from Gervais or Merchant it seems on this one I believe, but mentioned anyway. The premise is:

“a scripted comedy series that sees Karl Pilkington take on two roles - himself, and the voice inside his head, as he muddles through the mundane life he may have led if he hadn't met Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.”

I’m not convinced KP can pull off a show without RG and SM’s input. We’ll see.
Nucks

Postby Wilson » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Bodyguard has got even worse!

Yet it's a big hit.

A few people in work keep going on about how brilliant it is, which (knowing the sort of crap they watch) makes me think it's probably shit. Saw the first episode & it annoyed me, for various reasons.

Still enjoying Better Call Saul and started the latest American Horror Story on Netflix which is fucking nuts but quite amusing.
Wilson

Postby Wilson » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Nucks wrote:Sky1 has a new Karl Pilkington show coming on 27th September called ‘Sick of It’. Seeing as Mr N is a big fan of anything Gervais related, we’ll be checking it out. No input from Gervais or Merchant it seems on this one I believe, but mentioned anyway. The premise is:

“a scripted comedy series that sees Karl Pilkington take on two roles - himself, and the voice inside his head, as he muddles through the mundane life he may have led if he hadn't met Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.”

Sounds good. I loved Idiot Abroad but found Gervais's input unnecessarily sneery and not very funny.
Wilson

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

Yet it's a big hit.

The bodyguard is brill. I'm loving it. David has definetely got multiple personality disorder. There are lots of scenes where acts as though he is adjusting to his surroundings after personality changes and there was the giveaway scene of him strangling Julia as a totally different person. He awoke as his other personality then returned to normal david mid strangulation. I've enjoyed reAding everyone else's theories today and it's got the countries imagination and investigative skills flowing. And now because of reading the comments on the bodyguard I've found 'line of Duty' on Netflix. Which is by the same writer. Just watched one episode and might fit in another before zzzz..

Postby Nucks » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:07 am

Wilson wrote:
Nucks wrote:Sky1 has a new Karl Pilkington show coming on 27th September called ‘Sick of It’. Seeing as Mr N is a big fan of anything Gervais related, we’ll be checking it out. No input from Gervais or Merchant it seems on this one I believe, but mentioned anyway. The premise is:

Sounds good. I loved Idiot Abroad but found Gervais's input unnecessarily sneery and not very funny.

The sneery bit was intentional I think, he’s like that with most of his interactions with Pilkington. I don’t rate Gervais as a great actor although I do find a lot of his stuff funny, The Office was brilliant, Merchant’s input played a large part of course. Derek was meh, it tried too hard to tug at the heartstrings and the abomination that was the Kev character, just no. I think Gervais likes to “act”alongside Karl because Karl is written as a doofus and Gervais gets to be the intellectual one, looking down his nose at Karl’s stupidity and small-mindedness. Gervais gets to be clever, worldly, lofty, but then next to a guy who believes random bits about monkeys taking local jobs in the human world, well... :gigglesnshit:
Nucks

Postby Wilson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:51 pm

Nucks wrote:
Wilson wrote:

The sneery bit was intentional I think, he’s like that with most of his interactions with Pilkington. I don’t rate Gervais as a great actor although I do find a lot of his stuff funny, The Office was brilliant, Merchant’s input played a large part of course. Derek was meh, it tried too hard to tug at the heartstrings and the abomination that was the Kev character, just no. I think Gervais likes to “act”alongside Karl because Karl is written as a doofus and Gervais gets to be the intellectual one, looking down his nose at Karl’s stupidity and small-mindedness. Gervais gets to be clever, worldly, lofty, but then next to a guy who believes random bits about monkeys taking local jobs in the human world, well... :gigglesnshit:

I adore The Office and for a long time really liked Gervais, thinking his arrogance was tongue n cheek but over the years I've come to believe he actually is that arrogant. His stand up & Twitter really turned me off. Derek was terrible & his movies are awful but I'll always love The Office.
Wilson

Postby Nucks » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Wilson wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Wilson wrote:

I adore The Office and for a long time really liked Gervais, thinking his arrogance was tongue n cheek but over the years I've come to believe he actually is that arrogant. His stand up & Twitter really turned me off. Derek was terrible & his movies are awful but I'll always love The Office.

Don’t do twitter but I know what you mean about his stand-up stuff. The first two were alright but the latter ones have a nasty streak to them. I’ve always had the impression that many Office fans and critics believed Gervais wasn’t much of an actor and was essentially playing himself as David Brent, and Gervais has tried to shake that image with Derek and a few films but it hasn’t worked. He’s slipped into the role of bitter piss-taker quite well, only I’m not sure that’s what he wanted. His Oscar hosting stint went down like a lead balloon. Some of his fans tried to defend the criticism by saying Americans just didn’t get his humour, but I think he was just being a dick.

Extras was also really good, and I liked his film ‘Ghost Town’ where he sees dead people after having a near death experience while undergoing surgery.

Oh, and I like the podcasts too, Gervais, Merchant, and Pilkington work well together. RG’s laugh always get me. :gigglesnshit:
Nucks

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Guest wrote:

Yet it's a big hit.

The bodyguard is brill. I'm loving it. David has definetely got multiple personality disorder. There are lots of scenes where acts as though he is adjusting to his surroundings after personality changes and there was the giveaway scene of him strangling Julia as a totally different person. He awoke as his other personality then returned to normal david mid strangulation. I've enjoyed reAding everyone else's theories today and it's got the countries imagination and investigative skills flowing. And now because of reading the comments on the bodyguard I've found 'line of Duty' on Netflix. Which is by the same writer. Just watched one episode and might fit in another before zzzz..

Yes it looks that way as who else could be moving his gun about, putting blanks in it etc

Bit of a cop-out though because "multiple personality disorder" doesn't really exist.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Yet it's a big hit.

Yes it looks that way as who else could be moving his gun about, putting blanks in it etc

Bit of a cop-out though because "multiple personality disorder" doesn't really exist.

Only by the change of its name which is now known as dissacociative Identity Disorder. The illness is still what it is. Split personality of where more than one personality resides in an individual. The individual can experience timelapses between personality changes. So it isn't a cop out.

Postby Cobs » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:59 pm

It's just shit.
Cobs

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Yet it's a big hit.

It is a bit off. That whole innocent scared bomber isn’t really doing it for me.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Nucks » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Wilson wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Wilson wrote:Watching Better Call Saul atm. It's slow but I love it. There's lots of rubbish on Netflix but worth paying the £6.99 per mth for gems like this.

I’m struggling a bit with this season. Loved Breaking Bad and the first two seasons of BCS, but with Chuck gone there’s a dynamic missing. And doesn’t it seem like Kim has been in a cast for about 2 years? :laughing: Jimmy and Mike are very watchable but the others ... meh. The two guys with the funny cowboy boots, I want to find them interesting but the lack of dialogue seems lazy on the writers’ part. I suppose they want us to feel that it adds an air of mystery to them.

I know what you mean. It does feel a bit like the writers are going through the motions & I'm finding lots of the cartel characters a bit tedious.
I love Jimmy though & Mike. Kim's an interesting one, I find her and Jimmy really odd as a couple. She always seems so sad! I hope we get to hear about more of her background. Also missing Chuck!

Caught up on a couple more episodes, I liked ‘Piñata’ especially. :mrgreen:

Unsure about the German guys in the warehouse, are they there to build the underground meth lab beneath the dry cleaners? Why are they being isolated in the warehouse?
Nucks

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes they're building the underground meth lab which they have to do in secret obviously hence they're living in a warehouse.

PreviousNext

Return to TV And Radio