Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Postby Grafenwalder » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Finally at last some common sense has prevailed though it took £450k and a four year battle right up to the Supreme Court who today ruled unanimously there was no discrimination by Ashers bakery who refused to decorate a cake with a slogan promoting gay marriage.

It was always suspicious from the outset as Mr Lee, a gay rights activist, had apparently targeted Ashers in the knowledge of their religious beliefs. That one of the bakeries employees was gay didn't appear to be important to him. He wanted a reaction. Well he's got one now! I remember DS gays going ballistic over this case when it first hit the news four years back. Looks like they will be back at the cake again spitting more feathers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

Even Peter Tatchell, an LGBT campaigner spoke out in defence of the bakery and the court ruling.

“This verdict is a victory for freedom of expression. As well as meaning that Ashers cannot be legally forced to aid the promotion of same-sex marriage, it also means that gay bakers cannot be compelled by law to decorate cakes with anti-gay marriage slogans,” said human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, Director of the Peter Tatchell Foundation.

http://www.petertatchellfoundation.org/ashers-gay-cake-verdict-is-victory-for-freedom-of-expression/
Grafenwalder

Re: Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Sjw over-reach.

Common sense prevailed.

Be some inconsolable queens in anguish tonight. They're not special afterall.

Cake all round

Postby LordRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:31 am

Grafenwalder wrote:Finally at last some common sense has prevailed though it took £450k and a four year battle right up to the Supreme Court who today ruled unanimously there was no discrimination by Ashers bakery who refused to decorate a cake with a slogan promoting gay marriage.

It was always suspicious from the outset as Mr Lee, a gay rights activist, had apparently targeted Ashers in the knowledge of their religious beliefs. That one of the bakeries employees was gay didn't appear to be important to him. He wanted a reaction. Well he's got one now! I remember DS gays going ballistic over this case when it first hit the news four years back. Looks like they will be back at the cake again spitting more feathers!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45789759

Even Peter Tatchell, an LGBT campaigner spoke out in defence of the bakery and the court ruling.

“This verdict is a victory for freedom of expression. As well as meaning that Ashers cannot be legally forced to aid the promotion of same-sex marriage, it also means that gay bakers cannot be compelled by law to decorate cakes with anti-gay marriage slogans,” said human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell, Director of the Peter Tatchell Foundation.

http://www.petertatchellfoundation.org/ashers-gay-cake-verdict-is-victory-for-freedom-of-expression/

People who try to create trouble and force issues to the detriment to others are just not nice at all. I am glad that sanity has prevailed.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Photographers booked for Christian bakers in gay cake case refuse to hand over images in ‘stand against discrimination’

A photographic agency hired to take pictures of the Christian owners of a bakery after their Supreme Court victory in the “gay cake” case has refused to hand over the images, saying the company was “standing up against discrimination”.

On Wednesday, Ashers bakery in Belfast won an appeal over a claim that they had discriminated against a customer after they refused to make him a cake iced with the slogan “Support Gay Marriage".

A photographer was reserved using the booking site Perfocal for a “business event” which listed only a few details about the brief, with no mention of the specific court case or the individuals to be photographed.

But the photographer later realised that the client was the lobby group Christian Institute, which has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds backing the bakery in their legal challenge. The images were then withheld and a refund issued.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 79136.html

:dafinger: :pmsl:

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Guest wrote:Photographers booked for Christian bakers in gay cake case refuse to hand over images in ‘stand against discrimination’

A photographic agency hired to take pictures of the Christian owners of a bakery after their Supreme Court victory in the “gay cake” case has refused to hand over the images, saying the company was “standing up against discrimination”.

On Wednesday, Ashers bakery in Belfast won an appeal over a claim that they had discriminated against a customer after they refused to make him a cake iced with the slogan “Support Gay Marriage".

A photographer was reserved using the booking site Perfocal for a “business event” which listed only a few details about the brief, with no mention of the specific court case or the individuals to be photographed.

But the photographer later realised that the client was the lobby group Christian Institute, which has spent hundreds of thousands of pounds backing the bakery in their legal challenge. The images were then withheld and a refund issued.

The Bakers have got a dose of their own medicine, they entered into a contract and accepted money for the contract , to renenage against the contract on religious grounds ,
the photoghraphers have done unto the Bakers as they did to their customers

Snookerballs

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 pm

Guest wrote:Photographers booked for Christian bakers in gay cake case refuse to hand over images in ‘stand against discrimination’

You 'forgot' to add the paragraph which followed;

In a statement Tony Xu, the founder of the booking site, said: “We appreciate that this looks like tit for tat, and it is.” :roll:
I doubt it bothered the Christian Institute who booked them, they'd simply get another photographer...a lesson Gareth Lee would have done well to learn instead of playing the victim card. :roll:

Another point overlooked in this case is the Supreme court found Ashers bakery had not discriminated against Gareth Lee. Neither did they 'refuse to bake a cake' as msm have incorrectly reported. It was the political slogan they objected to as is their right. The same right any gay baker would have by objecting to a heterosexual person asking for a pro-straight marriage logo.

The Supreme courts decision was correct as forcing people to accept political slogans would have set a very dangerous precedent. Gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell made a point about this and fully supported the courts decision. Tatchell changed his mind a while back after realising the ramifications this would have and wrote an excellent article explaining why.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/01/gay-cake-row-i-changed-my-mind-ashers-bakery-freedom-of-conscience-religion
Grafenwalder

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Regardless of the discrimination, the Bakers entered into a contract accepted money for the contract, legally that is a deal, they should have made it known they were not prepared to honour the contract before monies were accepted or they could have passed the contract onto another Baker or offered compensation

So we now have the situation if a contract is signed, sealed and settled , one can still back out using religous grounds leaving the Client out of pocket .
Snookerballs

Postby Grafenwalder » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Snookerballs wrote:Regardless of the discrimination,

There was no discrimination. That's been established and upheld by the Supreme court who made that clear.

the Bakers entered into a contract accepted money for the contract, legally that is a deal, they should have made it known they were not prepared to honour the contract before monies were accepted or they could have passed the contract onto another Baker or offered compensation

So we now have the situation if a contract is signed, sealed and settled , one can still back out using religous grounds leaving the Client out of pocket .

I'm not sure where you're getting this from but there was no 'signed contract', simply an order and that's not 'a contract'. Gareth Lee was never 'left out of pocket' either. He went to another bakery, got his cake and slogan..then decided to take action against Ashers. Anyone else would have moved on but Lee was obviously on his activists mission which has now backfired spectacularly on him.

This case has cost almost £500k so i would hope Mr Lee is ordered to pay his share in costs.
Grafenwalder

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:

I'm not sure where you're getting this from but there was no 'signed contract', simply an order and that's not 'a contract'. Gareth Lee was never 'left out of pocket' either. He went to another bakery, got his cake and slogan..then decided to take action against Ashers. Anyone else would have moved on but Lee was obviously on his activists mission which has now backfired spectacularly on him.

This case has cost almost £500k so i would hope Mr Lee is ordered to pay his share in costs.

The News media appear to be a bit misleading regarding this Court Case A verbal Contract is different under English Law.
There does not have to be a signed contract in English Law, A verbal contract can be upheld in an English Court so long as it follows the guidelines,
An Offer ( order the cake)
An Acceptance ( Bakers accept offer)
Lawful Consideration ( Customer gives Baker a Cheque/cash for the cake)
Certainty of Terms ( Both Parties have agreed a contract money has been accepted, Customer walks out of shop)

Once the customer has walked out of the shop it is too late for the Bakers to change their mind and cancel the order, if there are any changes to the order that is up to the Customer to accept ,
However as this Court Case is Irish Law which does not apply to England , ( Ireland still will not approve the Abortion Law )
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/you-said-it-was-ok-can-you-make-verbal-agreement/
Snookerballs

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Stupid is as stupid does.

Turning down business because of feelings deserves a twat tax.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm

I'd Turn down cake making that the custom wanted signing up with VOTE TORY.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I'd Turn down cake making that the custom wanted signing up with VOTE TORY.

If i was a cake maker, as a staunch Labour man, i would set my feelings aside for the cash benefit and it would only be seen by a load of gammon fucks anyway! :pmsl:

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:18 am

Snookerballs wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

The News media appear to be a bit misleading regarding this Court Case A verbal Contract is different under English Law.
There does not have to be a signed contract in English Law, A verbal contract can be upheld in an English Court so long as it follows the guidelines,
An Offer ( order the cake)
An Acceptance ( Bakers accept offer)
Lawful Consideration ( Customer gives Baker a Cheque/cash for the cake)
Certainty of Terms ( Both Parties have agreed a contract money has been accepted, Customer walks out of shop)

Once the customer has walked out of the shop it is too late for the Bakers to change their mind and cancel the order, if there are any changes to the order that is up to the Customer to accept ,
However as this Court Case is Irish Law which does not apply to England , ( Ireland still will not approve the Abortion Law )
https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/news-events/blog/you-said-it-was-ok-can-you-make-verbal-agreement/

To save you trawling the internet searching out sites to support your failed narrative i suggest you take a look at the Supreme Court judgement instead. It's 30 pages long but 30 pages of the actual case rather than any internet whataboutery.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2017-0020-judgment.pdf
Grafenwalder

Postby calitom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 am

Bakers shouldnt be forced to put political opinions on their cakes.Someone like Canny shouldnt be forced to make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.
But I would trust a more conservative person to properly make a liberal cake than i would a liberal to make a conservative cake.-Same as walking down the street with a MAGA hat often insights violent
abuse from the left...While someone with an Obama or Hillary shirt rarely if ever gets attacked by church going right wing people.

So the left activists are often highly hypocritical.And highly dishonest.
calitom

Postby Cannydc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 am

calitom wrote:Bakers shouldnt be forced to put political opinions on their cakes.Someone like Canny shouldnt be forced to make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.
But I would trust a more conservative person to properly make a liberal cake than i would a liberal to make a conservative cake.-Same as walking down the street with a MAGA hat often insights violent
abuse from the left...While someone with an Obama or Hillary shirt rarely if ever gets attacked by church going right wing people.

So the left activists are often highly hypocritical.And highly dishonest.

I would happily make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.

If you are prepared to sign up to paying the vastly extortionate price, which will be donated to Labour party funds.....

There's more than one way to skin a stupid American cat.
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs