Our environment.

Our environment.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Is in the news again.
Not plastic in the sea this time but rising temperatures.
It's not something that seems to be discussed in this section.
Is it because we don't care?
Feel helpless?
Don't really understand the problems and what we should do can do?
I for example have a couple of vans.
Small one and larger one .... both diesels.
I burn logs and coal for my convenience and comfort.
I've been taking my tomatoes and stuff out of the plastic packaging and leaving the packaging in the shop for maybe a couple of years now.
Only ever been approached about it once and had to explain.
Have any of you changed anything in your life to lessen your environmental footprint?
Rolluplostinspace

Re: Our environment.

Postby Maddog » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Not much, but I moved to a more urban area, and ride a bike a lot, but I don't ride my bike to anywhere, except out to eat and to have a few beers. I actually walk now and then too. I guess I'm about to overtake Al Gore at my current rate of reducing my footprint. :more beer:
Maddog

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Maddog wrote:Not much, but I moved to a more urban area, and ride a bike a lot, but I don't ride my bike to anywhere, except out to eat and to have a few beers. I actually walk now and then too. I guess I'm about to overtake Al Gore at my current rate of reducing my footprint. :more beer:

But you didn't do it in a conscious effort to help the environment?
More just something that happened?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Cannydc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:35 am

Signed up with BULB for energy which is not only green, but also considerably cheaper.

use this link to get £50 off your first bill(s) too...

bulb.co.uk/refer/nigelc9515

2 minutes to switch, and they have good reports from friends with them...
Cannydc

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:04 am

Cannydc wrote:Signed up with BULB for energy which is not only green, but also considerably cheaper.

Cheers Nige.

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:32 am

Only when forced to, like light bulbs and bags for life..... I do recycle too! :mrgreen:
Gabby

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Guest wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Signed up with BULB for energy which is not only green, but also considerably cheaper.

Cheers Nige.

:thumbsup:

Postby Fletch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Never been a believer in man made global warming but am concerned about the environment. The earth has changed temperature many times over it's life, sometimes quite dramatically. oceans have disappeared, others have got larger. Land masses move and volcano eruptions send out far more 'emissions' than man can but that doesn't mean it's not sensible to cut pollution where you can.

Like everything in the western dominated world, it's become a money making industry from trading carbon credits to the film making industry. People making money and causing more pollution in the name of conservation/clean air. Modern society has become a limited use throw away society which is required to keep the capitalist 'dream' alive. Nothing made to last, no robust and rugged equipment, just an endless supply of the cheaply made latest fashion, cars included. Even modern homes are a poor example of what was once considered a home. Small, cheaply constructed, close together with no garden/outdoor space.

It's all a result of the capitalists in control (banking) The requirement for never ending growth, the continual supply of what's in vogue, the sell it and dump it when it fails then go buy a new one. People enslaved on cheap production lines to feed the masses what the media tell them they need or should have. All the while the debt piles up for individuals trying to keep up with everyone else. Only banking and the huge corporates benefit, everyone else are their prey.
Fletch

Postby Maddog » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Maddog wrote:Not much, but I moved to a more urban area, and ride a bike a lot, but I don't ride my bike to anywhere, except out to eat and to have a few beers. I actually walk now and then too. I guess I'm about to overtake Al Gore at my current rate of reducing my footprint. :more beer:

But you didn't do it in a conscious effort to help the environment?
More just something that happened?

I consciously conserve and don't litter.

Why I do and don't do things is kind of complicated, and I'm not always sure why I do it. But I like the outdoors and nature and that sort of thing, so I don't want it messed up.
Maddog

Postby wutang » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:52 am

wutang

Postby wutang » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:05 am

Fletch wrote:Never been a believer in man made global warming but am concerned about the environment. The earth has changed temperature many times over it's life, sometimes quite dramatically. oceans have disappeared, others have got larger. Land masses move and volcano eruptions send out far more 'emissions' than man can but that doesn't mean it's not sensible to cut pollution where you can.

That's the thing though, there were causes for those instances - non-stop planet wide volcanic eruptions, massive meteor strikes - but nothing has happened over the last 200 years that could explain the current trend except for humans industrially pumping tonnes and tonnes of carbon (a greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere.

Anway glad to see that even though you are sceptical you agree that eco-friendly action is needed. Too many use the 'its all a lie' to justify the continuation of things that are quite clearly harmful to humans and the planet in general.

wutang

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am

If you live in Florida you know it's going to get very windy now and then so why build your house out of wood?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Is in the news again.
Not plastic in the sea this time but rising temperatures.
It's not something that seems to be discussed in this section.
Is it because we don't care?
Feel helpless?
Don't really understand the problems and what we should do can do?
I for example have a couple of vans.
Small one and larger one .... both diesels.
I burn logs and coal for my convenience and comfort.
I've been taking my tomatoes and stuff out of the plastic packaging and leaving the packaging in the shop for maybe a couple of years now.
Only ever been approached about it once and had to explain.
Have any of you changed anything in your life to lessen your environmental footprint?

Gave up the car a few years back and just use public transport and Uber. There are far too many cars in London and air quality is crap, and it does need correcting.

I don't like seeing vehicles spewing really bad fumes and I do think the move to all electric will be a good thing.

The latest Hurricane in the US is proof that actions need to be taken, warm sea temperatures are causing Hurricanes to become even more powerful.

I guess Donald can't see this though and is happy for $Billions of damage and loss of life to happen each year.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I can't understand why anyone would want a car in most parts of London.
Don't you have the urge the need to go outside of London though just now and again?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby LordRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I can't understand why anyone would want a car in most parts of London.
Don't you have the urge the need to go outside of London though just now and again?

When there is a need to of course, but I have got used to using Trains --which I have to say (apart from stinking filthy toilets) are quite good. I recall the old "let the train take the strain" line and I do feel it is true.

Going to airports or up to Wales, York or Scotland it is so much easier. However the ticket prices can be a bit eye watering.

Sitting reading a book, charging your phone or just having a few beers in the buffer car makes life so much easier on long journeys, and in fact on short ones like Ascot and Bath etc.

I would rather they expand the rail network to cope with more passengers tbh
LordRaven
Twat.

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs