Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Re: Bakery win 'Gay Cake' row

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Guest wrote:The case was bullshit and agenda driven. If a cake shop refused to do as I asked, I'd just walk out and go some where else with my money.
I never queued to get into a night club or a pub. Never saw the need to stand in line to give someone my custom. Plenty of places willing to take it.

Exactly, and the vast majority of people would do as you said but when you're an activist 'on a mission' you're looking to find anything to poke a hole in!

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Richie BowWow wrote:An orchestrated campaign targeting Christians.

I'm sure these activists would never in a million years think of targeting a Muslim bakery despite almost universal opposition to gay marriage amongst Muslims.

This isn’t a thread about Muslims.

No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.

Very much as due to the media exposure of the case the McArthurs have had their personal lives splashed all over msm. Throughout they've shown restraint and decency yet been pilloried by people making disparaging comments about them over their religious beliefs. Some remarks on social media are utterly vile.

As for the posters comparison, i've seen the same scenario posted on other forums. The same laws the Supreme court ruled on would also apply to them.
Grafenwalder

Postby Snookerballs » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Guest wrote:The case was bullshit and agenda driven. If a cake shop refused to do as I asked, I'd just walk out and go some where else with my money.
I never queued to get into a night club or a pub. Never saw the need to stand in line to give someone my custom. Plenty of places willing to take it.

Exactly, and the vast majority of people would do as you said but when you're an activist 'on a mission' you're looking to find anything to poke a hole in

And were better than Ireland with their anarchic laws on Homosexuality / Abortion

The Bulls in England were not so lucky with their Court Case ( maybe something to do with English Law)
Snookerballs

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm

It's really easy: just say no, never say why. It's an old law that means that you can refuse service to anyone without giving a reason, I used to use in when banning people from pubs.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby calitom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Cannydc wrote:
calitom wrote:Bakers shouldnt be forced to put political opinions on their cakes.Someone like Canny shouldnt be forced to make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.
But I would trust a more conservative person to properly make a liberal cake than i would a liberal to make a conservative cake.-Same as walking down the street with a MAGA hat often insights violent
abuse from the left...While someone with an Obama or Hillary shirt rarely if ever gets attacked by church going right wing people.

So the left activists are often highly hypocritical.And highly dishonest.

I would happily make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.

If you are prepared to sign up to paying the vastly extortionate price, which will be donated to Labour party funds.....

There's more than one way to skin a stupid American cat.

i like your labour party better than the phony tories...so i would be happy to do that
calitom

Postby Richie BowWow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.

I doubt they would target Sikh or Hindu bakers either.
Richie BowWow

Postby Maddog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Ban cakes. They make you fat, and I don't really care for it.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Richie BowWow wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.

I doubt they would target Sikh or Hindu bakers either.

Do you know of any? :hand:

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:45 pm

calitom wrote:Bakers shouldnt be forced to put political opinions on their cakes.Someone like Canny shouldnt be forced to make a cake that says I LOVE TRUMP on it.
But I would trust a more conservative person to properly make a liberal cake than i would a liberal to make a conservative cake.-Same as walking down the street with a MAGA hat often insights violent
abuse from the left...While someone with an Obama or Hillary shirt rarely if ever gets attacked by church going right wing people.

A few weeks ago I walked into a local supermarket wearing a red baseball cap with an eagle and An American flag 1776 on it. I could see people looking at me and they must have been thinking it was a MAGA HAT. Not one of the fuckers said a word though :pmsl:

Postby Cannydc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Guest wrote:

A few weeks ago I walked into a local supermarket wearing a red baseball cap with an eagle and An American flag 1776 on it. I could see people looking at me and they must have been thinking it was a MAGA HAT. Not one of the fuckers said a word though :pmsl:

As a matter of interest, why were the people in the supermarket 'fuckers', and what were you expecting them to say ?
Cannydc

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Guest wrote:

what were you expecting them to say ?
Good point.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Grafenwalder » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Guest wrote:

As a matter of interest, why were the people in the supermarket 'fuckers', and what were you expecting them to say ?

Cock? :wink:
Grafenwalder

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:47 am

Snookerballs wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:

Exactly, and the vast majority of people would do as you said but when you're an activist 'on a mission' you're looking to find anything to poke a hole in

And were better than Ireland with their anarchic laws on Homosexuality / Abortion

The Bulls in England were not so lucky with their Court Case ( maybe something to do with English Law)

You dont know what anarchic means. Please only use words that you understand.

Postby Cannydc » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:04 am

Archaic would be a better word. In fact, almost prehistoric to the point of being Neanderthal.
Cannydc

Postby LordRaven » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

I'm sure these activists would never in a million years think of targeting a Muslim bakery despite almost universal opposition to gay marriage amongst Muslims.

No but to be fair it does have a religious element to the story so it's a fair comparison.

Very true Herr Rollup, can you imagine this same shit stirring gay chap going into a Muslim Bakery and asking for the same cake with Support Gay Marriage emblazoned over the top?
I am guessing he'd be shown the door but I also think he would not launch a legal campaign out of fear of having a Fatwah placed on his head --which I am guessing is no problem because nothing will be/can be done about such a threat.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Very true Herr Rollup, can you imagine this same shit stirring gay chap going into a Muslim Bakery and asking for the same cake with Support Gay Marriage emblazoned over the top?
I am guessing he'd be shown the door but I also think he would not launch a legal campaign out of fear of having a Fatwah placed on his head --which I am guessing is no problem because nothing will be/can be done about such a threat.

I agree and gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell referred to such a scenario in an article he wrote on his website.

“If the original judgement against Ashers had been upheld it would have meant that a Muslim printer could be obliged to publish cartoons of Mohammed and a Jewish printer could be forced to publish a book that propagates Holocaust denial. It could have also encouraged far right extremists to demand that bakers and other service providers facilitate the promotion of anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim opinions.

“That would have set a dangerous, authoritarian precedent that could have been open to serious abuse.

“Discrimination against people should be illegal but not discrimination against ideas and opinions,” said Mr Tatchell.
Grafenwalder

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs