Flu jab

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Flu jab

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Buses, timetables etc. I’ve never known anyone who’s never had the flu.

Like with just about anything in life there are always exceptions.

I didn't get chicken pox until my mid 30's AFAIK. I've asked my dad about this and he doesn't recollect it happening before then. I went to the office work at the time thinking it was an allergic reaction to something and was sent home.

I've had asthma a couple of times (once at my dad's place at the time, reasons unknown) and once at digs in Welwyn Garden City due to carpet fibres when I was moving to Luton, even when I was living there for about a year or so, I never suffered from it.

Lucky it wasn’t Shingles, that can be quite serious.
I never had chicken pox as a child either but caught it from a bunch of kids when I was in my twenties. It was a monsterous time, heatwave too! And I was about to get married. :thud:
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:No. I've never had flu full stop to my knowledge. Put it this way, when I was studying at poly there was a flu outbreak there big time around about 1989, people were in sick bay, I got a bit of a cold, but still went to lectures.

I've never had a proper cold since then, let alone flu.

On another occasion my dad collected me at the railway station to go back to his place and he was coughing and sneezing all the way on the 45 min or so journey in the confined space of a car with closed windows. No cold for me.

You probably don’t really need a boiler then with that strong consitution of yours.

Are you on a mission now? I need a boiler for hot water, let alone the central heating. It's handy.

Uh-huh.
You can give jokes but you can’t take them :again?:

Tbh, it wasn't that good. Join the club.

A few shit jokes.

Jimmy Carr was involved in a road accident. He was run over by a bus.
I went to an event where there were lot's of CDs to buy. It turned out to be very seedy, so I went home.
Planking. Do you need to get wood for that?
I got arrested for something I never did. I didn't wear gloves.
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:04 am

Mine weren’t that shit. :laughing:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Nucks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:03 am

jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:I’m on day 6 after having my jab and no side effects, so I’m pleased with that. Knock on wood.

I sometimes get a cold in the winter but the last time I had flu was 11 years ago, I basically stayed in bed for a month.

:yikes:

That sounds an excessively long time to recover.

Well yeah, it was the flu, not just a bad cold, which some people equate to the flu. Sweat and sleep was my life at that time.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 am

HobbitFeet wrote:why do so many on here get offered the flu jab?

I was under the impression it was only offered on the NHS if you are in the following groups

over 65's
pregnant women
moridly obese
are a carer
work within the NHS
live in a care home
certain long term medical conditions

:dunno:

I don’t fall into any of those categories but they offered it via a phone call and I more or less thought yeah, why not. I wasn’t asked to pay, although they may send me a bill.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:09 am

Gabby wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:I’m on day 6 after having my jab and no side effects, so I’m pleased with that. Knock on wood.

I sometimes get a cold in the winter but the last time I had flu was 11 years ago, I basically stayed in bed for a month.

Have you never had man flu?

:laughing: .... ooops, now you’ve done it! :doomed:

:gigglesnshit: Time to haul out the chicken soup and pop CBeebies on.
Nucks

Postby jra » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 am

Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:

Well yeah, it was the flu, not just a bad cold, which some people equate to the flu. Sweat and sleep was my life at that time.

According to the web, you should have recovered from flu after a max 2 weeks.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/flu/
jra

Postby Nucks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 am

jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:

I wasn’t in the uk so those guidelines don’t apply. :snooty:

:mrgreen:
Nucks

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:44 am

Just had mine from the pharmacist attached to my surgery..... I got the ‘basic’ under 65 one!! :ooer:.... it still covers 4 strains apparently, but for over 65s it’s a different vaccine with some extra ingredient designed to boost the immune system.... intended to reduce hospitalisation and flu related deaths! First time it’s been introduced this year, I hope they’ve done their research properly! :paranoid:
Gabby

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:51 am

Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:

... and anyway it says nothing on his link about a maximum two weeks. More jra nonsense.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:54 am

Gabby wrote:Just had mine from the pharmacist attached to my surgery..... I got the ‘basic’ under 65 one!! :ooer:.... it still covers 4 strains apparently, but for over 65s it’s a different vaccine with some extra ingredient designed to boost the immune system.... intended to reduce hospitalisation and flu related deaths! First time it’s been introduced this year, I hope they’ve done their research properly! :paranoid:

Nah, they will just release any old injection and hope for the best. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:04 am

jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:

Thats just bullshit, designed to discourage people from seeking medical advice... for the elderly and anyone with heart/lung conditions, even young people it can be a killer.... at best can take months to recover fully!
Gabby

Postby Nucks » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:05 am

Guest wrote:
Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:
Nucks wrote:
jra wrote:That sounds an excessively long time to recover.

... and anyway it says nothing on his link about a maximum two weeks. More jra nonsense.

:gigglesnshit: Probably. It’s possible that “most” people recover from the flu after two weeks but there will always be exceptions. I wasn’t officially diagnosed but I had the usual symptoms and the last thing I wanted to do was go to my doctor’s office. I could barely get out of bed never mind the house.
Nucks

Postby Gabby » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am

Guest wrote:
Gabby wrote:Just had mine from the pharmacist attached to my surgery..... I got the ‘basic’ under 65 one!! :ooer:.... it still covers 4 strains apparently, but for over 65s it’s a different vaccine with some extra ingredient designed to boost the immune system.... intended to reduce hospitalisation and flu related deaths! First time it’s been introduced this year, I hope they’ve done their research properly! :paranoid:

Nah, they will just release any old injection and hope for the best. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It does make you wonder as to how much research has gone into this added ingredient! :dunno:
Gabby

Postby Wilson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 pm

My boss has booked us all in for one. Cheaper than forking out for supply staff when flu does the rounds. I had it last year & had a rotten cold afterwards. Hope it was just coincidence.
Wilson

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms