What you up to today? #3

Big Threads

Re: What you up to today? #3

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:I haven't had an interview in donkey's years so take this advice with a pinch of salt but apparently one of the best interview techniques is, before the questioning of your CV / experience begins, to ask the interviewers something along the lines of "the reason you called me for an interview is because my experience is right for your company. So what makes you think I'm great for this role?"

This reframes the interview as a conversation rather than a grilling, starts off the interview by compelling the interviewers to form positive associations of you from the start (you know the people who say first impressions don't matter? They're idiots) and reasons why it would be in their interests rather than yours to give you the job.

If I was interviewing you that would piss me off enough to give you the heave ho! :mrgreen: :shoot:

Yes, because that's likely to happen.

:gigglesnshit: Yeah, like you’d ever get to an interview stage.

Fair point.

I've got no interest in selling pot pourri.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Guest wrote:

No I don't because I haven't had an interview in a few years. But the last time I had an interview it felt more relaxed and I connected with the interviewees. This just felt very. Heads down on paper reading from a script. No connection.

Ahh I see, no wonder you were nervous. sounds like the interviewers were not welcoming. It reflects the people who work there so would you want a manager like that?

Just keep going, apply for stuff you might not really want just so you can get interview experience, more you do the less nervous you will feel. You will know when you find the connection because you are right thats how it should be.

Good luck with it all :mrgreen:

Two full days of interviews. I was late going into mine and it was lunch time! I've spoken to one of the women before as have others and she is nice. Just think they're a bit under pressure too.

Postby Goodwife » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Guest wrote:
Goodwife wrote:
Guest wrote:

No I don't because I haven't had an interview in a few years. But the last time I had an interview it felt more relaxed and I connected with the interviewees. This just felt very. Heads down on paper reading from a script. No connection.

Ahh I see, no wonder you were nervous. sounds like the interviewers were not welcoming. It reflects the people who work there so would you want a manager like that?

Just keep going, apply for stuff you might not really want just so you can get interview experience, more you do the less nervous you will feel. You will know when you find the connection because you are right thats how it should be.

Good luck with it all :mrgreen:

Two full days of interviews. I was late going into mine and it was lunch time! I've spoken to one of the women before as have others and she is nice. Just think they're a bit under pressure too.

Everything you are saying is just waving big red flags at me, the woman may be nice but she sounds so bloody disorganised and lacking in personality :mrgreen:
Goodwife

Postby jra » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 pm

If one turns up late for an interview, tick that job application off the list, unless there are exceptional circumstances justifying the lateness.

The company or organization will assume (correctly or incorrectly) that if you can't make an important meeting (in this case an interview for a job) on time, then you'll be unlikely to be good at timekeeping when it comes to the actual working hours.

I used to work in IT contracting and often turned up late 10-11 in the morning when technically I should have been in at 9, but they weren't that bothered about it, as I did the hours (stayed late) and was paid by the hour.
jra

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:I haven't had an interview in donkey's years so take this advice with a pinch of salt but apparently one of the best interview techniques is, before the questioning of your CV / experience begins, to ask the interviewers something along the lines of "the reason you called me for an interview is because my experience is right for your company. So what makes you think I'm great for this role?"

This reframes the interview as a conversation rather than a grilling, starts off the interview by compelling the interviewers to form positive associations of you from the start (you know the people who say first impressions don't matter? They're idiots) and reasons why it would be in their interests rather than yours to give you the job.

You do have a good point there Avon. Other interviews have felt more a two way thing. I think I forgot that.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 pm

jra wrote:If one turns up late for an interview, tick that job application off the list, unless there are exceptional circumstances justifying one being late.

I wasn't late. I was early. Interviews were running late.

Postby Goodwife » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:31 pm

jra wrote:If one turns up late for an interview, tick that job application off the list, unless there are exceptional circumstances justifying the lateness.

The company or organization will assume (correctly or incorrectly) that if you can't make an important meeting (in this case an interview for a job) on time, then you'll be unlikely to be good at timekeeping when it comes to the actual working hours.

I used to work in IT contracting and often turned up late 10-11 in the morning when technically I should have been in at 9, but they weren't that bothered about it, as I did the hours (stayed late) and was paid by the hour.

I was late for an interview once and only time I have been late to one.

But I was kind of head hunted and the job was pretty much mine before I even turned up so it didn't matter. The interview was after hrs and I was offered it first thing the next day. Formality and all that :mrgreen:
Goodwife

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Guest wrote:

You do have a good point there Avon. Other interviews have felt more a two way thing. I think I forgot that.

Right.

A good employee is an asset to the company and brings in more than they cost in wages. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.
Avon Barksdale

Postby jra » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Guest wrote:
jra wrote:If one turns up late for an interview, tick that job application off the list, unless there are exceptional circumstances justifying one being late.

That's fair enough then.

I was talking in general, but in your case I'd be a bit annoyed about their timekeeping, but of course you can't say that in the interview.

Just like when you've made the effort to turn up to a hospital, GP or dental appointment on time and you have to wait around for ages.

I have missed one hospital appointment and got what I'd call a fairly stroppy letter in the post saying I didn't turn up. I don't write them letters every time my appointments have been delayed, on one occasion for over an hour.
jra

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Good luck guesters!

I’ve just been through the interview process. I had a couple where the job looked amazing on paper, but then I got in the interview and I wasn’t feeling it at all.
I just think that those interviewing me, I have to work with if I get it. And if I don’t get on with them straight off, am I really going to enjoy working for them?

The job I eventually got/wanted, I got on with the regional manager like a house on fire. We had a right good chat and laugh, and I’ll report directly to her, so for me that was really important. If I’d gone in and then felt shit and awks during the interview, I’d have no hope of a good working relationship, and I wouldn’t have lasted.
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:26 pm

jra wrote:
Guest wrote:

That's fair enough then.

I was talking in general, but in your case I'd be a bit annoyed about their timekeeping, but of course you can't say that in the interview.

Just like when you've made the effort to turn up to a hospital, GP or dental appointment on time and you have to wait around for ages.

I have missed one hospital appointment and got what I'd call a fairly stroppy letter in the post saying I didn't turn up. I don't write them letters every time my appointments have been delayed, on one occasion for over an hour.

I don't mind waiting. I understand that people are not objects and each may take a different amount of time. I understand that prior to my appointment there may have been circumstances that led to the lateness out of their control.

If you found your appointment displeasing you should have spoken up. I know my surgery has feedback forms where you can write a review And on their website. This will help them to improve services if you give feedback.

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 pm

I’ve just done two days of training up in Preston and I am fucked. Mostly because it involved other people and people fuck me off.

There was one bloke who was the typical “cheeky chappy” salesman bellend who thought he was the dogs bollocks, but really just came across as an arrogant, chauvinist pig desperate for a leg over cos he got a couple of nights away from the wife.

I developed an irrational hate for him :mrgreen:
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 pm

NastyNickers wrote:Good luck guesters!

I’ve just been through the interview process. I had a couple where the job looked amazing on paper, but then I got in the interview and I wasn’t feeling it at all.
I just think that those interviewing me, I have to work with if I get it. And if I don’t get on with them straight off, am I really going to enjoy working for them?

The job I eventually got/wanted, I got on with the regional manager like a house on fire. We had a right good chat and laugh, and I’ll report directly to her, so for me that was really important. If I’d gone in and then felt shit and awks during the interview, I’d have no hope of a good working relationship, and I wouldn’t have lasted.

You'll find common ground if you're all working to the same goals even if you're very different in personality. I'd rather work with different personalities achieving the same goals than people who I can just have a laugh with. Although both is preferable!

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Guest wrote:

You'll find common ground if you're all working to the same goals even if you're very different in personality. I'd rather work with different personalities achieving the same goals than people who I can just have a laugh with. Although both is preferable!

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.
I don’t mind working with differently personalities. But if I felt the interview was unnecessarily difficult, and that there was no connection and it felt strained, I would have red flags. I like to be comfortable, with good communication and understanding.
NastyNickers

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:15 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Guest wrote:

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear.
I don’t mind working with differently personalities. But if I felt the interview was unnecessarily difficult, and that there was no connection and it felt strained, I would have red flags. I like to be comfortable, with good communication and understanding.

I failed on good communication I feel during this interview. But that does not mean I will fail on good communication if I were to get the position. I have good communication in my day to day duties and have evidence of that. So all I know is that it means... under stress I do not communicate as well. Which I think is true for everyone. So it's not a red flag, it's a 'I need to work on that'. If I'm under stress at work, I slow down what I'm doing so that I do not make a mistake. Go over what I've done and my work doesn't leave me until I'm sure it's correct. This was just a different type of situation.

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive