Nerdy help needed please

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Re: Nerdy help needed please

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 pm

Guest wrote:Forgot to add.

I disagree with the previous advice regarding not getting an SSD, you can feel the difference from booting up alone. Technology changes so quickly, progs are becoming more demanding. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/store-ssd-benefits

The most sensible way is to go for a 250 (or even 500) SSD main hard drive (for speed/performance and reliability) and get yourself an external drive or two for storage, far safer!

I agree - but not all SSDs are equal, they range quite widely in speed and life- research before you buy.
McAz

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 pm

McAz wrote:
Guest wrote:Forgot to add.

I disagree with the previous advice regarding not getting an SSD, you can feel the difference from booting up alone. Technology changes so quickly, progs are becoming more demanding. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/store-ssd-benefits

The most sensible way is to go for a 250 (or even 500) SSD main hard drive (for speed/performance and reliability) and get yourself an external drive or two for storage, far safer!

I agree - but not all SSDs are equal, they range quite widely in speed and life- research before you buy.

Like everything else McAz, research is the key.

I've had mine now for 2+ years and a second one was fitted about a year ago and still chuffed with both, Samsung.

External storage/backup is a must though, I learned the hard way years ago.

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 pm

Guest wrote:Like everything else McAz, research is the key.

I've had mine now for 2+ years and a second one was fitted about a year ago and still chuffed with both, Samsung.

I also have two Samsungs, they're very good.
McAz

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 pm

McAz wrote:
Guest wrote:Like everything else McAz, research is the key.

I also have two Samsungs, they're very good.

Certainly are :thumbsup:

Postby jra » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 am

Looks like SSD prices have plummeted a bit earlier than expected, but all good.
jra

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 am

I can't say I've seen prices plummeting, in what 6 months, slowly dropping yes just as 1TB drives have.

Technology changes so quickly prices are bound to drop. Common sense.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:53 am

Guest wrote:I can't say I've seen prices plummeting, in what 6 months, slowly dropping yes just as 1TB drives have.

Technology changes so quickly prices are bound to drop. Common sense.

My SSD was purchased just over 2 years ago and I've just checked and to buy it again from the same supplier would mean a £11 increase. Plummeting :gigglesnshit:

Previous

Return to Science And Technology