Saudi Woman Seeks Asylum, Fears Family Will Kill Her

Saudi Woman Seeks Asylum, Fears Family Will Kill Her

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun says Thai authorities have returned her passport to her, giving new hope to the 18-year-old Saudi who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room as she posted pleas for asylum over the weekend. Alqunun says her family has abused her and might kill her if she is deported.

The new development played out as Alqunun's father arrived in Thailand, setting off concerns that she might be forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

"My father just arrived," she said in an update on Monday, adding that it "worried and scared me a lot."

Thai officials had arranged for Alqunun to be on a flight out of Bangkok on Monday, but she refused to leave her airport hotel room before she spoke to someone from the U.N. Refugee Agency, the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Repeating her desire to leave Thailand for another country where she can seek asylum, Alqunun said, "But at least I feel [safe] now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back."

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/07/68280607 ... l-kill-her

UNHCR - The world is watching you.
Cactus Jack

Re: Saudi Woman Seeks Asylum, Fears Family Will Kill Her

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun says Thai authorities have returned her passport to her, giving new hope to the 18-year-old Saudi who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room as she posted pleas for asylum over the weekend. Alqunun says her family has abused her and might kill her if she is deported.

The new development played out as Alqunun's father arrived in Thailand, setting off concerns that she might be forced to return to Saudi Arabia.

"My father just arrived," she said in an update on Monday, adding that it "worried and scared me a lot."

Thai officials had arranged for Alqunun to be on a flight out of Bangkok on Monday, but she refused to leave her airport hotel room before she spoke to someone from the U.N. Refugee Agency, the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.

Repeating her desire to leave Thailand for another country where she can seek asylum, Alqunun said, "But at least I feel [safe] now under UNHCR protection with the agreement of Thailand authorities. And I finally got my passport back."

According to UNHRC documents obtained by UN Watch, Saudi Arabia was chosen to head a 5-member group of ambassadors, known as the Consultative Group, which has the power to select applicants from around the world for more than 77 positions dealing with country-specific and thematic human rights mandates.

https://www.unwatch.org/again-saudis-el ... cil-panel/

Good luck!
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

According to UNHRC documents obtained by UN Watch, Saudi Arabia was chosen to head a 5-member group of ambassadors, known as the Consultative Group, which has the power to select applicants from around the world for more than 77 positions dealing with country-specific and thematic human rights mandates.

Good luck!

You've just made a slight mistake

UNHCR is the UN High Commissioner for Refugees the UN Human Rights Group is called the UNHRC - an easy mistake as only two letters are transposed.
Cactus Jack

Postby Cannydc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Just for Bungle....

“We will not send anyone to die. We will not do that. We will adhere to human rights under the rule of law,” said Thai Immigration Police chief Maj. Gen. Surachate Hakparn.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2019 ... sylum.html
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Good luck!

UNHCR is the UN High Commissioner for Refugees the UN Human Rights Group is called the UNHRC - an easy mistake as only two letters are transposed.

In any event, if this woman's life is in the hands of the UN, she's in deep shit as evidenced as how they put the Saudis in positions of leadership in terms of human rights issues.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Cannydc wrote:Just for Bungle....

“We will not send anyone to die. We will not do that. We will adhere to human rights under the rule of law,” said Thai Immigration Police chief Maj. Gen. Surachate Hakparn.

The problem is, what happens if the UN drops the ball? At this point, I would prefer that Thailand or another interested country would grant her asylum, regardless of what the UN decides.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Good luck!

In any event, if this woman's life is in the hands of the UN, she's in deep shit as evidenced as how they put the Saudis in positions of leadership in terms of human rights issues.

Don't talk such total fucking shit. It doesn't make you sound wise and jaded it makes you sound like an utter moron.

Place on the UNHRC go in rotation - even the USA got a turn when you guys were advocating torture - and the individual members tend to have a background in Human Rights.

I know the UNHRC got all you Christian Zionists upset when it said dropping white phosphorous on refugee camps wasn't very nice even if you're the State of Israel but try to grow up.

Not too much, it would ruin my fun, but if you could get the equivalent of a ten year old ...
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Good luck!

Don't talk such total fucking shit. It doesn't make you sound wise and jaded it makes you sound like an utter moron.

Place on the UNHRC go in rotation - even the USA got a turn when you guys were advocating torture - and the individual members tend to have a background in Human Rights.

I know the UNHRC got all you Christian Zionists upset when it said dropping white phosphorous on refugee camps wasn't very nice even if you're the State of Israel but try to grow up.

Not too much, it would ruin my fun, but if you could get the equivalent of a ten year old ...

You have more faith in the UN than I do.

That's OK. I'm not bothered or threatened by your opinion of them. :thumbsup:
Maddog

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 pm

This story reminds me of Princess Latifa, daughter of a wealthy Dubai Sheikh who was living a million dollar lifestyle but wanted to escape to US because she feared for her life. Her story was told in a documentary screened on BBC last month. She almost made it and her escape was like something from a James Bond movie. Worth watching as she's not been seen since her recapture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshk6s/escape-from-dubai-the-mystery-of-the-missing-princess
Grafenwalder

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Good luck!

You have more faith in the UN than I do.

That's OK. I'm not bothered or threatened by your opinion of them. :thumbsup:

That you even think this is in any way about the UN makes you too dumb to have an opinion.
Cactus Jack

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:This story reminds me of Princess Latifa, daughter of a wealthy Dubai Sheikh who was living a million dollar lifestyle but wanted to escape to US because she feared for her life. Her story was told in a documentary screened on BBC last month. She almost made it and her escape was like something from a James Bond movie. Worth watching as she's not been seen since her recapture.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bshk6s/escape-from-dubai-the-mystery-of-the-missing-princess

Saw that too. She’d escaped before while visiting London but was taken back and imprisoned for a while.

She’d said being rich and subservient isn’t worth losing your free will. They will try to break her again but I bet she escapes at the first opportunity. If they haven’t maimed or killed her.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cannydc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Maddog wrote:

The problem is, what happens if the UN drops the ball? At this point, I would prefer that Thailand or another interested country would grant her asylum, regardless of what the UN decides.

Thailand won't let her go until she is assured of asylum in a safe country. Thai laws do not permit granting of asylum there.
Cannydc

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:This story reminds me of Princess Latifa, daughter of a wealthy Dubai Sheikh who was living a million dollar lifestyle but wanted to escape to US because she feared for her life. Her story was told in a documentary screened on BBC last month. She almost made it and her escape was like something from a James Bond movie. Worth watching as she's not been seen since her recapture.

I almost mentioned her on this thread. I'm guessing no word from her still?
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Cannydc wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Thailand won't let her go until she is assured of asylum in a safe country. Thai laws do not permit granting of asylum there.

The article suggested that Thailand honor the decision of the UN. I would prefer that they act on their own, regardless of what the UN decides, and let her go to another country, if their laws won't let her stay there.
Maddog

Postby Cannydc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:

Saw that too. She’d escaped before while visiting London but was taken back and imprisoned for a while.

She’d said being rich and subservient isn’t worth losing your free will. They will try to break her again but I bet she escapes at the first opportunity. If they haven’t maimed or killed her.

She certainly has been seen since. She was visited and filmed during an interview with former Eire president Mary Robinson a couple of weeks ago...

Photos were released of Mrs Robinson having a lunch with Latifa in Dubai. The former president smiles for the camera, while the frail-looking princess betrays little emotion.

In an interview with the BBC 12 days after the visit, Robinson said the princess was a "troubled young woman" who is receiving psychiatric care.

Robinson insisted in recent days that she travelled to Dubai to meet Latifa "in good faith", but the nature of the visit, apparently paid for by the Dubai royal family, has been criticised by the campaign groups Human Rights Watch and Detained in Dubai.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/t ... 79044.html
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs