I, Daniel Blake

A right load of bollocks...

I, Daniel Blake

Postby Fletch » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:30 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... niel-blake

After a heart attack, a 59-year-old joiner needs help from the state to receive Employment and Support Allowance. He crosses paths with a single mother, Katie, and her two young children, Daisy and Dylan. Katie's only chance to escape a one-roomed homeless hostel in London has been to accept a flat in a city she doesn't know, 300 miles away.

I, DANIEL BLAKE - OFFICIAL UK TRAILER [HD]

phpBB [video]

Anyone watched this or seen it when it was released?

Heard much about it, watched the trailer and will watch it later today or tomorrow.

A look in to the modern Tory world of 'help for genuine claimants' :shake head:
Fletch

Re: I, Daniel Blake

Postby Sundaze » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am

I've watched it, it's heart breaking.

While I appreciate there will always be people that screw the system, surely the majority of people who genuinely need help and support at a difficult time in their lives shouldn't be punished just because of a few that take the piss...this is just a general observation on my part
Sundaze

Postby Fletch » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 am

Sundaze wrote:I've watched it, it's heart breaking.

While I appreciate there will always be people that screw the system, surely the majority of people who genuinely need help and support at a difficult time in their lives shouldn't be punished just because of a few that take the piss...this is just a general observation on my part

The "people that screw the system" is largely a myth. Things are blown out of proportion, incorrectly reported or just plain wrong by the msm with the idea that a narrative is born to justify the governments harsh inhumane policies.

Even the figures they give being small include mistakes and errors which make up most of the money lost to "fraud and error".

Given the figure of £73 per week to live on hasn't changed in the best part of a decade, how the hell do they expect people to survive? In fact all benefits have been frozen except the biggest portion of the welfare budget, that being pensions.

Privatising state help by leaving it to charity then funding the charity rather than the people in need is just another money spinner for the few who own the trusts or charities. :shake head:
Fletch

Postby George » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:05 pm

I saw this film, hard hitting and emotional. Very well acted by the key roles
Unfortunately this sort of thing does happen to some people
People under claiming benefits far out weighs those fiddling the system
George

Postby Stooo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 pm

Watched it at the weekend, I now buy female hygienic products for the food bank box.

I was disgusted with my country from start to finish.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Fletch » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:21 pm

George wrote:I saw this film, hard hitting and emotional. Very well acted by the key roles
Unfortunately this sort of thing does happen to some people
People under claiming benefits far out weighs those fiddling the system

I've watched it now and agree, very sobering.

A lot of research went in to the DWP and the system for the film and a lot of people were spoken to about it. By all accounts, every incident shown in the film actually happened in real life to people; we've all read about some of them in the papers. The film caused quite a stir when released in 2016 and it's why still (last Sunday) May claims to have not seen it. (asked on Marr) Easier to say that than open a can of worms for discussion. :shake head:
Fletch

Postby banana chewits » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:28 pm

i'm going to have to watch this,

good on you stooo for being a man that isn't afraid to help women in that way as well.
banana chewits

Postby Stooo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 pm

banana chewits wrote:i'm going to have to watch this,

good on you stooo for being a man that isn't afraid to help women in that way as well.

It's on the BBCi player. I remember the fuss when it came out but like the real people who are portrayed, it went out of my mind.

I want my country back.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby banana chewits » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Stooo wrote:

It's on the BBCi player. I remember the fuss when it came out but like the real people who are portrayed, it went out of my mind.

I want my country back.

it needs rid of the tories, they're responsible for all the shit going on.
banana chewits

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:49 pm

banana chewits wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I want my country back.

The Liberals were complicit when they were in power with the Tories.

Postby Stooo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Guest wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I want my country back.

Fuck off...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Stooo wrote:Watched it at the weekend, I now buy female hygienic products for the food bank box.

I Shall follow suit never thought of that.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I want my country back.

Fuck off...

Guardian readers need no reminding of the extreme severity of the benefit cuts – hitting children, mothers and people with disabilities hardest. Clegg had no need to fall in with the vindictive spirit of the bedroom tax, the sale of swaths more social housing, or the ever-tightening screw of work capability tests, as food banks opened everywhere. Labour supporters seeing the Lib Dems sitting on their hands and saying nothing may never forget. But then social justice was never the Lib Dems’ strong point: good on human rights and the environment, social equality is not in their DNA.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... avagery-pr

Postby Stooo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 pm

Guest wrote:Guardian readers need no reminding of the extreme severity of the benefit cuts – hitting children, mothers and people with disabilities hardest. Clegg had no need to fall in with the vindictive spirit of the bedroom tax, the sale of swaths more social housing, or the ever-tightening screw of work capability tests, as food banks opened everywhere. Labour supporters seeing the Lib Dems sitting on their hands and saying nothing may never forget. But then social justice was never the Lib Dems’ strong point: good on human rights and the environment, social equality is not in their DNA.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... avagery-pr

Get Jesus Grandad to help to stop it being much, much worse and then I'll approve more of your Corbyn bollocks.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Niv » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:Watched it at the weekend, I now buy female hygienic products for the food bank box.

I Shall follow suit never thought of that.

Good on you... You're both fantastic for doing it! :wubbers:
Niv

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms