Coming back from death

Re: Coming back from death

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 am

Cannydc wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
you mean like in the days of plato and aristotle?.. Of Augustine? you think the brain power of the average man is used more now?
St Paul was an intellectual genius AND was a witness to miracles. The 2 arent mutually exclusive.

Yes I do. We have deep intellectual thinkers now as well.
If you compare the average human now to then, awareness about the world around them and wider world has improved.
And people develop the skills they need to survive, I don’t need to carve my own spoons so I don’t know how but I’d learn pretty quickly if I needed to.

All that stuff is what the scout movement was formed for.

Useful if you go camping often I suppose.
I was in the Brownies for 2 weeks. Learnt how to make a bar of soap into a Bible.
I left, the preaching was offputting and I just wanted to play rounders 24/7 back then.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 am

calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
If you compare the average human now to then, awareness about the world around them and wider world has improved.
And people develop the skills they need to survive, I don’t need to carve my own spoons so I don’t know how but I’d learn pretty quickly if I needed to.

"we have deep intellectual thinkers now as well" yes we can agree there. But your whole reason--clearly stated by you--to bring up the we use more of our brains now was to bolster your opinion that the miracles didnt happen because now we can figure them out because we use more of our brains. I clearly pointed out that there were at lesast equal intellects back then...and that they experienced and believed miracles do happen...And that the 2 were NOT mutually exclusive.
-So unless you can figure out a way that a few loaves and a few fishes can be multiplied in the presence of thousands of witnesses--using modern science--then the use our brains more argument doesnt hold water.

Propaganda and a deep desire to believe in something can make it true for ‘you’.
We know more now about psychology, positive thinking can move mountains metaphorically.
Those intellectuals back then were living in a time where miracles weren’t under the same scrunity, you can only work with the audience/ material you have in front of you. The things they claim to have witnessed will have served a purpose.
Lady Murasaki

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:15 am

Cannydc wrote:We no more need to "figure out a way that a few loaves and a few fishes can be multiplied in the presence of thousands of witnesses--using modern science" than we need to figure out how Goldilocks conversed with 3 bears.

Why?

Because neither happened.

You can't figure out how to divide bread and fish? it is really very simple even a Child could do it. there could also be a very different meaning lost in translation. for instance, they were feed, like You reading a Good book. what is the difference between a page with writing on it and legislation or journalism? the french word for talking is parlay, the english word is speaker, ie speakers common the legitimate parliament of the united kingdom.
In marketing, it is called exotic exclusivity (probably have a different term or 3 to identify that specific type of marketing strategy). make it sound more than it actually is using a foreign language and because it is foreign only an elect few understand it. that is what I read when I venture into Historical accounts (oh, there is another word for what is written).

as for the scouts, I was a scout and never learned survival tactics. our ancestors lived with the environment, they didn't just survive they thrived! due to domesticity, our brain function has been reduced. an interesting point about anthropological archeology is our bones are not as dense as land mammals, therefore, our bones don't last as long and only rare archeological finds in conditions suitable for preservation have been found. there is only significant evidence left that People were there.

I find it interesting that the Herodotus map shows africa as ethiopia and west of the tigrus as east etheopia? polis or city in assyria is one of the oldest known cities. why do We have walls? to protect stores, not to divide People. do You seriously believe the egyptians didn't have the wheel when chariots were a very common weapon of war? the egyptians were smart enough to build a structure that would cost no less than a billion quid to replicate but couldn't figure out how to make a wheel, fk off! why did the romans build aqueducts? because water is the most expensive resources to transport even to this day!

opinions are not an education! an educated guess, when examined with discernment, is still an opinion. an educated opinion derived on what is known and can be tested. how do We know egypt or potolemy, assyria had chariots? I haven't heard of any archeological finds?
art0hur0moh

Postby Cannydc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:38 pm

"as for the scouts, I was a scout and never learned survival tactics. "

I wasn't in the scouts, but may I suggest you read "Scouting for Boys (1908)" by Baden-Powell ? The book was originally a manual for self-instruction in observation, tracking and woodcraft skills as well as self-discipline and self-improvement...

How to create fire

How to snare, butcher and cook prey.

How to build shelter

How to find and cleanse water.

If they aren't Survival 101, I don't know what is.

The rest of your post os waffle - taking anything from either testament of the bible as real is an exercise in utter futility.
Cannydc

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Cannydc wrote:"as for the scouts, I was a scout and never learned survival tactics. "

I wasn't in the scouts, but may I suggest you read "Scouting for Boys (1908)" by Baden-Powell ? The book was originally a manual for self-instruction in observation, tracking and woodcraft skills as well as self-discipline and self-improvement...

How to create fire

How to build shelter

The rest of your post os waffle - taking anything from either testament of the bible as real is an exercise in utter futility.

knowledge without application is useless, and the information is so generalized it is less than useless. a drop of bleach per gallon of water, boiling, and fermentation of clean water as well.
the only point directed at You was the last sentence!
art0hur0moh

Postby Stooo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Cannydc wrote:"as for the scouts, I was a scout and never learned survival tactics. "

How to create fire

How to build shelter

I was in the Scouts as a kid, they'd dump half a dozen of us in a field with some tents to put up and pick us up a couple of days later. Happy days.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby MungoBrush » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Stooo wrote:

How to create fire

How to build shelter

I was in the Scouts as a kid, they'd dump half a dozen of us in a field with some tents to put up and pick us up a couple of days later. Happy days.

You were lucky your scoutmaster wasn't a paedophile
MungoBrush

Postby Cannydc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 pm

MungoBrush wrote:
Stooo wrote:

How to create fire

How to build shelter

You were lucky your scoutmaster wasn't a paedophile

True - without too much detail, my sister's son was one of several abused by a scoutmaster. Ruined his whole childhood, and any chance of proper schooling. He got a lengthy jail sentence, but when he got out he returned to the locality. A horrible experience.

https://theukdatabase.com/2016/01/28/mi ... am-market/
Cannydc

Postby calitom » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

"we have deep intellectual thinkers now as well" yes we can agree there. But your whole reason--clearly stated by you--to bring up the we use more of our brains now was to bolster your opinion that the miracles didnt happen because now we can figure them out because we use more of our brains. I clearly pointed out that there were at lesast equal intellects back then...and that they experienced and believed miracles do happen...And that the 2 were NOT mutually exclusive.
-So unless you can figure out a way that a few loaves and a few fishes can be multiplied in the presence of thousands of witnesses--using modern science--then the use our brains more argument doesnt hold water.

Propaganda and a deep desire to believe in something can make it true for ‘you’.
We know more now about psychology, positive thinking can move mountains metaphorically.
Those intellectuals back then were living in a time where miracles weren’t under the same scrunity, you can only work with the audience/ material you have in front of you. The things they claim to have witnessed will have served a purpose.

these were eye witnesses lady. cut the crap
calitom

Postby Cannydc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Still peddling smoke and mirrors...
Cannydc

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 am

calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

I remember hearing about a priest or Saint who was able to jump 12 feet in the air and a few other activities that at the time where considered to be impossible for a Man.

it was said to be impossible any Person to be able to run a mile in four minutes. People are just lazy and have no comprehension that they are the only Person who limits them Selve, unfairly blaming other for their Own incompetence. mindfulness, spirituality the Divine intelligence, influence, We are limited by the Words We have been taught to understand. Our language is very poor at being able to relate what is and what some People refuse to accept as truth. I have come to the conclusion, if atheists have no belief in anything why do they even bother trying to learn anything? they are not going to believe it anyway! I remember when I first learned the Word atheist there was a lot about religious philosophies I couldn't fundamentally agree with. but couldn't completely accept that the Word identified My logic. that is till I learned the Word Agnosticism. the tales of King Arthur for instance, (that was the fundamental shift in My thinking) Arthur is a word in greek similar to the Name Smith, Blackie, Farra, and all names derived from the smelting and refining of metals from stone into tools. the historical record is literally in the Names and Words We use, Words are Living things if used properly. even deaf People can comprehend what an extreme minority can't who functioning ears but incapable of Hearing.

You need to take the time into context, these People didn't do more than others. they accept they can do more than societies weak principles are willing to accept or permit.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 am

Cannydc wrote:Still peddling smoke and mirrors...

still, condone incest?
art0hur0moh

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm

calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Why don’t we get so many miracles today? With proper eye witnesses? Hmmm...? :again?:
Lady Murasaki

Postby calitom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Cannydc wrote:Still peddling smoke and mirrors...

so you must not believe in God then...or a Creator. Because this creation wasnt made out of smoke and mirrors.
calitom

Postby calitom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
calitom wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:

Why don’t we get so many miracles today? With proper eye witnesses? Hmmm...? :again?:

Because Jesus is not walking the earth?..or possibly because the miracles were not for show back then.They were done begrudgingly and for very particular purposes.Thousands and thousands of years went by and the occasional 'miracle' was performed.
calitom

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs