The Big Freeze

A right load of bollocks...

The Big Freeze

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:48 pm

We are being told that this will be a month of freezing weather and as I am just in from walking a dog in minus 4 (feels like -13), it could get dodgy for supplies. as we need trucks that are able to move and fulfil deliveries. A few already are panicking that stockpiling is starting with this cold spell and also with the lead up to Brexshit. So it isn't looking good for the 29th of March if this month is indeed bitter cold with ice and snow, for the stores will be trying to restock as quickly as possible on the lead up to March.

My doctor has already asked me if I am having any trouble getting medicines - I'm not so far - but him asking me has made me wonder what he knows that I don't.....

Meanwhile the UK sits shivering and I don't think this will be the biggest freeze to come......we may find we are frozen out by a few suppliers and I ain't just talking of bread & milk...

I'm sitting wrapped up with the heat turned up and a cuppa char. I won't be stockpiling and live in hope that it won't be as bad as I think it will. :ooer:
measurer

Re: The Big Freeze

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 pm

I have lots of coal and logs and gas.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 pm

measurer wrote:We are being told that this will be a month of freezing weather and as I am just in from walking a dog in minus 4 (feels like -13), it could get dodgy for supplies. as we need trucks that are able to move and fulfil deliveries. A few already are panicking that stockpiling is starting with this cold spell and also with the lead up to Brexshit. So it isn't looking good for the 29th of March if this month is indeed bitter cold with ice and snow, for the stores will be trying to restock as quickly as possible on the lead up to March.

My doctor has already asked me if I am having any trouble getting medicines - I'm not so far - but him asking me has made me wonder what he knows that I don't.....

Meanwhile the UK sits shivering and I don't think this will be the biggest freeze to come......we may find we are frozen out by a few suppliers and I ain't just talking of bread & milk...

I'm sitting wrapped up with the heat turned up and a cuppa char. I won't be stockpiling and live in hope that it won't be as bad as I think it will. :ooer:

Still no snow here in south London!

I always wonder why it's warmer here than the rest of the country tbh :dunno:

Postby Stooo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

It's not that bad, just annoying.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I have lots of coal and logs and gas.

Our fuel is owned by France and Spain mainly, I hope there will be no disruption to those services, but wtf knows??? No answers for these type questions. Wish I had the old coal fire again, Jack.
measurer

Postby Stooo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

Guest wrote:
measurer wrote:We are being told that this will be a month of freezing weather and as I am just in from walking a dog in minus 4 (feels like -13), it could get dodgy for supplies. as we need trucks that are able to move and fulfil deliveries. A few already are panicking that stockpiling is starting with this cold spell and also with the lead up to Brexshit. So it isn't looking good for the 29th of March if this month is indeed bitter cold with ice and snow, for the stores will be trying to restock as quickly as possible on the lead up to March.

Still no snow here in south London!

I always wonder why it's warmer here than the rest of the country tbh :dunno:

Radon gas...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:00 pm

Was going to say London is a city with lots of escaping heat - a microcosm if you like, that normally escaped this weather, but even down there the weather is to hit unusual lows.
measurer

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 pm

measurer wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I have lots of coal and logs and gas.

Our fuel is owned by France and Spain mainly, I hope there will be no disruption to those services, but wtf knows??? No answers for these type questions. Wish I had the old coal fire again, Jack.

If the electricity goes down your central heating gas or oil goes down because the pump stops.
I'll be ok.
My gas is bottled so cooking will be no problem.
Obviously heat won't be a problem either.
Lights I have old fashioned oil lamps plus wind up lanterns and battery ones too.
The battery lamps will run for around twenty hours before recharge or change because of those modern little LED's.
I have two of each of those.
I also have a million candle spot which also comes with a lantern when stood on its face that'll burn full for twenty hours so all in all I'm ready for whatever the weather throws at me right now.
Plus of course some whiskey and vodka and loads of canned and dried food.
If the power goes down for any length of time the freezers obviously go down too but the answer to that is bag it all up and hang it up outside in the minus whatever.
I have fully charged laptop tablet phones etc.
I even got myself a while back an old fashion phone from a charity shop or boot sale can't remember .... I simply plug it in the phone socket and even through the longest power cut I still have a landline.
Last edited by Rolluplostinspace on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby banana chewits » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 pm

it's getting a bit nippy here, no snow though.
banana chewits

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 pm

I've never got rid of my plug-in fones. Still use the landline for calls too. I'm fkd if the electric goes as it's used to make my gas heating work! Freezers as you said - and I have actually done that before when a freezer packed in. It works!
A low tonight of minus 6 for my area tonight, but walking out there is for the brave! lol
measurer

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Nothing much here (south) but chilly. The gritter that does round here is called Spread Sheeran. :gigglesnshit:
Fletch

Postby measurer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 pm

Fletch wrote:Nothing much here (south) but chilly. The gritter that does round here is called Spread Sheeran. :gigglesnshit:

You guys are still in for it. Even coastal areas are getting it hard. Definitely a change in the weather. This is where I'd swap Holly for a few months, though over there they are experiencing terrible heatwaves.
measurer

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 pm

measurer wrote:
Fletch wrote:Nothing much here (south) but chilly. The gritter that does round here is called Spread Sheeran. :gigglesnshit:

You guys are still in for it. Even coastal areas are getting it hard. Definitely a change in the weather. This is where I'd swap Holly for a few months, though over there they are experiencing terrible heatwaves.

Local weather: Amber alert until 1pm Friday. :ooer:
Fletch

Postby George » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:10 am

Very cold where we are but no snow and none predicted in the next few days. We are totally reliant on gas and electricity so would be stuffed without it.
George

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:33 am

I remember when everyone seemed to have a calor gas heater in the garage, I wonder how many that worked perfectly ended up at the tip
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms