Snow

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Snow

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 am

Had to go out earlier just got back in and it is bitterly cold out there.
Says 4C but it feels like minus 10 with that cutting wind.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby measurer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:08 pm

I had a video I was going to put up but seems 7 seconds of HD video is more than our hosts can upload.
measurer

Postby jra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 am

measurer wrote:I had a video I was going to put up but seems 7 seconds of HD video is more than our hosts can upload.

Why not host it on another site and embed the link here.
jra

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm

Because it isn't that important?
measurer

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:38 pm

Today is snow, rain and ice rain with snow predicted to have a 6 inch fall tomorrow. I was thinking of having a day out with mum, but if it's going to snow, it's pointless really. We get snow every year nearly, you would think they'd be advising snowchains by now, but nope - one inch of snow and schools close and people can't get to work.
I wish they had closed when I was young, but we were made of sterner stuff it appears, as we had to walk thru blizzards, and then throw our outerwear onto the radiators hoping they'd be dry by hometime.
measurer

Postby jra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:59 pm

measurer wrote:Today is snow, rain and ice rain with snow predicted to have a 6 inch fall tomorrow. I was thinking of having a day out with mum, but if it's going to snow, it's pointless really. We get snow every year nearly, you would think they'd be advising snowchains by now, but nope - one inch of snow and schools close and people can't get to work.
I wish they had closed when I was young, but we were made of sterner stuff it appears, as we had to walk thru blizzards, and then throw our outerwear onto the radiators hoping they'd be dry by hometime.

Sounds like people had more common sense back in those days as well, if people need to be advised to get snow chains.

Weather forecast. (Heavy) rain is predicted today. Please be advised you need to put on a coat, preferably waterproof.
jra

Postby Niv » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:08 pm

measurer wrote:Today is snow, rain and ice rain with snow predicted to have a 6 inch fall tomorrow. I was thinking of having a day out with mum, but if it's going to snow, it's pointless really. We get snow every year nearly, you would think they'd be advising snowchains by now, but nope - one inch of snow and schools close and people can't get to work.

The schools often have to close to comply with the Health & Safety. Years ago, you went to school, you had snowball fights, made slippy areas to whizz along in the playground... Now, there are so many claims made by parents through these, where there's a blame, there's a claim. No win,no fee. If someone slips and injures themselves, or gets a snowball in the face. Parents are straight in and looking for someone the blame. Local Authorities can't afford to keep paying out. Parents do themselves no favours, schools are not childminding services. So when those parents cause schools to close by their actions, they are then told you'll have to make arrangements for care of your children, as we're closed.
Niv

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Nothing to do with sterner stuff.
Teachers can live forty miles away from the school easily these days and they might have or have been warned of worse weather than what the school is having.
They want to be able to get home to their kids.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Nowt to do with that tho Jack, it's H&S who close the schools and that decision is taken by the Council on advice from the high head ones.
Did you not walk thru knee-deep snow on your way to school when you were young? The janny ALWAYS had the heating up and going. The only time I ever got sent home was because the furnace wasn't working.
measurer

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:18 pm

I remember about ten years ago going to school at lunch time to take my grandson out three hours early because of a weather warning while there was just sleet on the road but a big black sky.
They reused to let me so I said look I'm not being awkward but can you scribble me a quick note telling me you won't let us take him and why you're ignoring a very severe weather warning so I can take legal action if necessary to support other families in future?
They decided to just hand him over rather snottily.
Two hours later no one could get to the school till around ten that night. The school heating failed too because of power cuts. Our six year old grandson was tucked up in bed with a full belly.
The headmistress avoided me for months.
At the same time but twenty miles away a mini bus full of special needs kids came to a grinding halt as a foot of snow fell out of the sky and bought everything to a standstill.
No nappies no medication no food and water the heating failed on the bus because of low fuel and the kids didn't get home till 9 and 10 at night very distressed.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:20 pm

measurer wrote:Nowt to do with that tho Jack, it's H&S who close the schools and that decision is taken by the Council on advice from the high head ones.
Did you not walk thru knee-deep snow on your way to school when you were young? The janny ALWAYS had the heating up and going. The only time I ever got sent home was because the furnace wasn't working.

We didn't ever get a day off what ever the weather or even in power cuts but the teachers lived reasonably local and didn't have to worry about getting in and out of the area. The decision is taken with all these factors in mind.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Bad advice on the school boards there then. They close as a precaution here - even if it fails to snow. I only had a mile to walk through the snow - not 3, thankfully.
measurer

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:24 pm

We had a bus. :snooty:
McAz

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Oh we could get a bus, but you paid for it. I preferred to use the bus money on the shop next to the school. Walking is good for ya!
measurer

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm

measurer wrote:Oh we could get a bus, but you paid for it. I preferred to use the bus money on the shop next to the school. Walking is good for ya!

Ours was free. And walking does your joints in in later life. :laughing:
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms