Snow

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Snow

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:09 pm

Did you go to school in your 40's???? I was under 12 when I went to primary :mrgreen:

It's a free bus if over 2 miles, from what I remember, though I know different councils set different parameters.
measurer

Postby jra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:33 pm

There was a free school bus for some parts of my school catchment area in the 70's and early 80's, as there was no other way to get to school other than by car. Presumably, the district council paid for it. As to what the situation is like nowadays, I have no idea.

ETA. Looks like this still happens with certain conditions attached and is 'provided/funded' by Devon County Council.

https://www.devon.gov.uk/educationandfa ... -transport
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:38 pm

measurer wrote:Did you go to school in your 40's???? I was under 12 when I went to primary :mrgreen:

It's a free bus if over 2 miles, from what I remember, though I know different councils set different parameters.

I was a late starter. :laughing:
McAz

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 pm

jra wrote:There was a free school bus for some parts of my school catchment area in the 70's and early 80's, as there was no other way to get to school other than by car. Presumably, the district council paid for it. As to what the situation is like nowadays, I have no idea.

there is free transport with criteria attached

something like over 3 miles with no other suitable school available

that reminds me JRA, I went on a routemaster bus when in London, it felt like the right thing to do, I didn't realise till we were on it that it was a bit of a moment in time that can't be repeated

route 15 from Trafalgar square to Tower Gateway, but I'm sure you know that
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby jra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:06 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:There was a free school bus for some parts of my school catchment area in the 70's and early 80's, as there was no other way to get to school other than by car. Presumably, the district council paid for it. As to what the situation is like nowadays, I have no idea.

there is free transport with criteria attached

something like over 3 miles with no other suitable school available

that reminds me JRA, I went on a routemaster bus when in London, it felt like the right thing to do, I didn't realise till we were on it that it was a bit of a moment in time that can't be repeated

route 15 from Trafalgar square to Tower Gateway, but I'm sure you know that

I haven't travelled on that route yet, but have on this one. It's a good sightseeing route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Buses_route_RV1

Most of the old Routemaster buses were replaced by 'Boris buses' as they did not meet modern DDA standards.

The new 'Boris buses' are pretty good too, but are up to modern day standards, including audio and visual announcements on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Routemaster

As an aside, Pacer trains have to be phased out by the end of this year because they also don't meet modern DDA standards. Few people will be sorry to see them go and be replaced by modern trains.
jra

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

I was told route 15 was the last old routemaster route, and that it's being phased out very soon

it was a coincidence though, we would have got the tube but the district line had shut down, then as we waited for the bus we were told if we waited 5 mins we could travel on one of the last routemaster buses - it was just nostalgic and I'm glad my daughter experienced it
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby jra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 am

HobbitFeet wrote:I was told route 15 was the last old routemaster route, and that it's being phased out very soon

it was a coincidence though, we would have got the tube but the district line had shut down, then as we waited for the bus we were told if we waited 5 mins we could travel on one of the last routemaster buses - it was just nostalgic and I'm glad my daughter experienced it

Specifically, we are talking about route 15H (Heritage) which operates a section of the 'normal' route 15 that uses modern buses. There were two heritage routes originally using old style Routemasters, 15H and 9H. The latter has stopped operating.

More info here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Buses_route_15

So, it seems the buses are going in for refurb, rather than being withdrawn.

10 scenic bus routes in London (very unlikely to be a complete list).

https://londonist.com/2016/02/london-s- ... bus-routes
jra

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:48 am

you know what JRA, this is exactly why nobody wants to have a normal conversation with you, because you can't help yourself, acting supercilious and constantly attempting to correct people

the district line was down, we needed to catch the 15 bus to Aldgate East from Trafalgar Sq, we were told if we waited for the one after it would be a routemaster bus, that this was its only route and that they are shortly being withdrawn from service - the downside being that we would need to get off when it terminated at tower gateway and either walk the rest of the way or wait for a 15 that continued on the full route - in general chit chat people don't tend to be this precise, because it's not chat it's just a series of boring facts

:roll:
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:02 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:you know what JRA, this is exactly why nobody wants to have a normal conversation with you, because you can't help yourself, acting supercilious and constantly attempting to correct people

the district line was down, we needed to catch the 15 bus to Aldgate East from Trafalgar Sq, we were told if we waited for the one after it would be a routemaster bus, that this was its only route and that they are shortly being withdrawn from service - the downside being that we would need to get off when it terminated at tower gateway and either walk the rest of the way or wait for a 15 that continued on the full route - in general chit chat people don't tend to be this precise, because it's not chat it's just a series of boring facts

:gigglesnshit: :slap:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:20 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:you know what JRA, this is exactly why nobody wants to have a normal conversation with you, because you can't help yourself, acting supercilious and constantly attempting to correct people

It's not surprising he has to pay to get female company.

Postby jra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:23 pm

I like accuracy that's all, as in being helpful. If you want to interpret it differently, what can I do. I thought you were interested that's all. Tell you what, I won't bother next time if you're going to be ungrateful. You do your own research. Fine with me.

Guest wrote:

Thanks for the input. Now fuck off and come up with something original and true for that matter.
jra

Postby Dean » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:25 pm

jra wrote:

I like accuracy that's all, as in being helpful. If you want to interpret it differently, what can I do. I thought you were interested that's all. Tell you what, I won't bother next time if you're going to be ungrateful. You do your own research. Fine with me.

Guest wrote:

Thanks for the input. Now fuck off and come up with something original and true for that matter.

Are you denying using hookers?
Dean

Postby jra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Dean wrote:
jra wrote:

Guest wrote:

Are you denying using hookers?

Does it matter one way or the other as the topic has been done to death? Conversation over. You should learn this, i.e. when a subject should move on, or do you talk like this to your mates in the pub?

I see that having not posted for nearly 11 hours, you've replied within two minutes. That is borderline stalking and obsessive.

It like you're hovering over the board, pressing refresh and waiting, when is jra going to post, when is jra going to post and I can pounce right in there.

There is something wrong mentally with you Dean. Go and seek help.
Last edited by jra on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jra

Postby Dean » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm

So, are you denying using hookers?
Dean

Postby HobbitFeet » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:32 pm

jra wrote:

I didn't ask for or indeed want any research, I was making an effort with you by talking about something that interested you by telling you we went on one of the last old routemaster buses when we were in London last month

fucksake
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms