Political correctness

A right load of bollocks...

Political correctness

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:06 pm

Many years ago I thought PC was a means to close debate but now I realise it's a way to stop hateful people using it a vehicle to be hateful. For eg. You'll always find the far right ukip ( which is an abbreviation for the intellectually asleep) always bang on about PC. Then are completely hateful and disrespectful people. Such as the twats who shout. "The BBC"!

What they are really saying is that they want a license to be cu. nets.

For this reason I think I am pro pc. Because I have the intellect to recognise that just because I use a term and do not mean it as derogatory I will not endorse any term that these bandwagon dimwits can jump on. So I will watch my step and tongue voluntarily for the greater good.

What are your beliefs and why? Are you pro PC or anti PC?

Re: Political correctness

Postby Guest (me again ) » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Are you the master of your words or will you let someone else be the master of them?
Guest (me again )

Postby Niv » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:32 pm

I always keep an open mind with regards to issues relating to PC. Sadly, at times it can be used very much as a double-edged sword. I am very much against people using derogatory statements to insult anyone's race, colour, creed or sexuality. I do however object to some of the 'do-gooders' who use bizarre policies to further their own good, whilst not showing any regard for the opinions and feelings of the people they claim to represent.
Being Irish, it's usually a given that I'll be insulted regularly. The amusing thing is that people genuinely think they are the first ones to say what they say to me. Do I bother to say anything? No. I just usually think that their ignorance is their problem, not mine. I could stand and argue the odds with them, at the end of it, they'd still be a fecking idiot. Many may not agree, but that's their opinion. I don't have to share it.
Niv

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Niv wrote:I always keep an open mind with regards to issues relating to PC. Sadly, at times it can be used very much as a double-edged sword. I am very much against people using derogatory statements to insult anyone's race, colour, creed or sexuality. I do however object to some of the 'do-gooders' who use bizarre policies to further their own good, whilst not showing any regard for the opinions and feelings of the people they claim to represent.
Being Irish, it's usually a given that I'll be insulted regularly. The amusing thing is that people genuinely think they are the first ones to say what they say to me. Do I bother to say anything? No. I just usually think that their ignorance is their problem, not mine. I could stand and argue the odds with them, at the end of it, they'd still be a fecking idiot. Many may not agree, but that's their opinion. I don't have to share it.

I had a training day this week about learning disabilities that said not to challenge the term "Retarded" if used by an American doctor because apparently that is normal over there. I don't like where this is going. I work for the NHS.

Postby Niv » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Guest wrote:
Niv wrote:I always keep an open mind with regards to issues relating to PC. Sadly, at times it can be used very much as a double-edged sword. I am very much against people using derogatory statements to insult anyone's race, colour, creed or sexuality. I do however object to some of the 'do-gooders' who use bizarre policies to further their own good, whilst not showing any regard for the opinions and feelings of the people they claim to represent.

I had a training day this week about learning disabilities that said not to challenge the term "Retarded" if used by an American doctor because apparently that is normal over there. I don't like where this is going. I work for the NHS.

I, and I think many share your concerns. We seem at times to move backwards, instead of forwards bowing down to what pacifies others. It's certainly not going moving in any positive direction. Which is sad.
Niv

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:08 pm

We used to call it good manners, being polite and don't stare.

Our values have become belittled.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Niv wrote:
Guest wrote:

I, and I think many share your concerns. We seem at times to move backwards, instead of forwards bowing down to what pacifies others. It's certainly not going moving in any positive direction. Which is sad.

How we pacify doctors from different countries should not be a concern. How we protect the patient should be and is but then something like this gets dropped in amongst a whole lot of sensible stuff as though it belongs with the rest of the info. It doesn't.

At the end of the day everyone went home despite an outside person being hired for the day. Wrong move. The person doing the presentation should have left first and we should have been given the chance to discuss as a group.

A lot of the presentation was very good but I think it's especially dangerous to add these false bits in with good information.

Postby Niv » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Guest wrote:
Niv wrote:
Guest wrote:

How we pacify doctors from different countries should not be a concern. How we protect the patient should be and is but then something like this gets dropped in amongst a whole lot of sensible stuff as though it belongs with the rest of the info. It doesn't.

At the end of the day everyone went home despite an outside person being hired for the day. Wrong move. The person doing the presentation should have left first and we should have been given the chance to discuss as a group.

A lot of the presentation was very good but I think it's especially dangerous to add these false bits in with good information.

They slip these concerning nuggets into things, safe in the knowledge that there will be a high proportion in the room, that wont feel comfortable raising objections. The facilitator of any training day, or meeting is usually the last to leave, that's mainly so that people can ask any questions or discuss things in further detail. Have you raised the concerns that you have? What was the general feeling where others were concerned?
Niv

Postby Nucks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 pm

Stooo wrote:We used to call it good manners, being polite and don't stare.

Our values have become belittled.

Yes, that.

I hate seeing the pc gorn mad nonsense trotted out regarding equality and things like women getting groped by powerful men. And a host of other things which I might remember later.
Nucks

Postby Middens » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:27 pm

:mrgreen: Yes "telling it how it is" and "non-PC" are usually just excuses for behaving like a cunt.
Middens

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:35 pm

This nugget was dropped our before lunch. I raised with my manager who said she agreed that in general we as staff are not best educated in this area and it's a good thing. On the area itself. I agree. But she wasn't in the room. Her manager was. And was taking notes. My manager is especially good at not giving her opinions but listening. SILENCE! That's all you get. Don't know what's going on under there!!

Will you speak? Argue? Shout? Scream? Anything? Can't get more placid than this.

Postby Cobs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Ok. I know you want it really.
This really does chafe my nips. You're applying for a certificate and feel the need to tell me about it, fucks sake.

Cobs

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm

Guest wrote:

Fuck, that's awful.

Retarded is a horrendous word and has been used as a slur for a very, very long time. I can't imagine it's still used in medical terminology in even America.

God help the poor bastard who ever says it in front of me, is all I'll say. It's abhorrent, on the same level as "spastic" became.

As far as the "PC" debate goes I do think there are people who use political correctness as a weapon - see Woke Twitter - but most people I see screaming about free speech do tend to be alt-right types.

Postby jra » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:43 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Fuck, that's awful.

Retarded is a horrendous word and has been used as a slur for a very, very long time. I can't imagine it's still used in medical terminology in even America.

God help the poor bastard who ever says it in front of me, is all I'll say. It's abhorrent, on the same level as "spastic" became.

As far as the "PC" debate goes I do think there are people who use political correctness as a weapon - see Woke Twitter - but most people I see screaming about free speech do tend to be alt-right types.

Inferring somebody is a poor bastard isn't exactly very politically correct either.
jra

Postby McAz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm

Yes it is.
McAz

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms