Political correctness

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Political correctness

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:47 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Red, you had a mini fit when gammon was mentioned. You wouldn’t last 2 seconds as a minority.

You mean I laughed at Stooo for using it all the time, due to him fitting the description himself?

It was mildly amusing that the 'everything is racist' mob took to using it as insult, and tied themselves in knots trying to prove it had nothing to do with skin colour..

I've been a minority before and survived it btw. :thumbsup:
Red Okktober

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:48 am

Junglejayne wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

I don't see anyone creating personal drama. It's on topic .

Don't let your opinion of someone derail you. I know you have some issues with her/him but the point is there & it's valid.

I'd prefer it if you didn't make incorrect assumptions thanks.

I'm an Irish woman, a long time here, and I have less experience of the things she claims to in her 'young years'. Its bullshit and its unhelpful to genuine cases of discrimination.

I guess people keep any interaction with you to a bare minimum. The sight of you wandering down the street glaring at everyone, or asking for four lots of ID to verify who they are probably means they think you're batshit crazy and avoid you anyway. :roll:
Niv

Postby politicsbs............... » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:49 am

About PC

Are people aware that many people from outside EU and some EU countries still use the word black/white when referring to people from other countries? They are not being offensive but it's just that the country they live in, come from is not as PC and when asked about this, they confirm they are not being rude/etc but just grouping people together and the same people often refer to oriental people as Chinese ie people from China, Taiwan, Nepal, Japan, Vietnam/etc. I speak four languages relatively fluently and there are a lot of other things that we in the UK will not see as PC in the English language but acceptable in the three other languages I speak apart from English. (politicsbs)
politicsbs...............

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 am

Niv wrote:
Junglejayne wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Don't let your opinion of someone derail you. I know you have some issues with her/him but the point is there & it's valid.

I'm an Irish woman, a long time here, and I have less experience of the things she claims to in her 'young years'. Its bullshit and its unhelpful to genuine cases of discrimination.

I guess people keep any interaction with you to a bare minimum. The sight of you wandering down the street glaring at everyone, or asking for four lots of ID to verify who they are probably means they think you're batshit crazy and avoid you anyway. :roll:

Isn’t that what you’ve done to NN the last couple of days?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:52 am

Red Okktober wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Red, you had a mini fit when gammon was mentioned. You wouldn’t last 2 seconds as a minority.

You mean I laughed at Stooo for using it all the time, due to him fitting the description himself?

It was mildly amusing that the 'everything is racist' mob took to using it as insult, and tied themselves in knots trying to prove it had nothing to do with skin colour..

I've been a minority before and survived it btw. :thumbsup:

People abroad are usually nicer to whiteys. Try being a proper minority.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Junglejayne » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 am

Niv wrote:
Junglejayne wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Point proved. You're a like a little ball of venom desperate to create an impression. :gigglesnshit:
Junglejayne

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:57 am

Red Okktober wrote:I can't say that I've noticed much discrimination towards the Irish in recent years. Sure, there was some when the IRA were active on the mainland, but that was to be expected and was ages ago anyway.

I would say the opposite, and that the Irish and the English get along very well. Lot's of English enjoy the 'craic' with them, and St Paddy's Day seems a far bigger affair here than St Georges day.

People tend to use other people's nationalities as a prefix anyway (good and bad) as an identifier, ie 'You know, that Dutch guy' - so if you're Irish and living outside of Ireland, you will probably hear yourself being referred as that 'Irish..whatever', but I wouldn't say it was necessarily discriminatory or offensive though. When I've lived abroad, I was always referred to as an English something or the other, but I never took it as people meaning it in a prejudiced way.

The EU issues in relation to the 'backstop' have seen things flare up a bit. Arlene ain't budging, and it's having a knock-on effect. It'll settle. :thumbsup:
Niv

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 pm

Junglejayne wrote:
Niv wrote:
Junglejayne wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Point proved. You're a like a little ball of venom desperate to create an impression. :gigglesnshit:

Well your attention seeking to get my attention was making you look a prize twat, so I did you a favour and threw you a crumb. No need for thanks. It's fine :smilin:
Niv

Postby Junglejayne » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Niv wrote:Well your attention seeking to get my attention was making you look a prize twat, so I did you a favour and threw you a crumb. No need for thanks. It's fine :smilin:

You're comebacks would stand a chance in a school playground. Fool :mrgreen:
Junglejayne

Postby Dean » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 pm

Junglejayne wrote:
Niv wrote:Well your attention seeking to get my attention was making you look a prize twat, so I did you a favour and threw you a crumb. No need for thanks. It's fine :smilin:

*Your
Dean

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Guest wrote:
Niv wrote:
Junglejayne wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Isn’t that what you’ve done to NN the last couple of days?

You're off topic, but one little slip should be OK. Hmmm, it would seem that trying to point out that it's dangerous to share too much about personal information online with strangers, has put me up there on par with Eva Braun. Yet every advice online board voices the same warnings. But I'm the baddie, I'll live :thumbsup:
Niv

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Junglejayne wrote:

Here we go, back to your Mr T impressions. You ain't the fucking A-Team :roll:

It's 'your' by the way... Fool :smilin:
Niv

Postby Red Okktober » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:People abroad are usually nicer to whiteys. Try being a proper minority.

How will I go about that?

Should I black up like Al Jolson and become a wheelchair-bound homosexual?
Red Okktober

Postby Niv » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 pm

politicsbs............... wrote:About PC

Are people aware that many people from outside EU and some EU countries still use the word black/white when referring to people from other countries? They are not being offensive but it's just that the country they live in, come from is not as PC and when asked about this, they confirm they are not being rude/etc but just grouping people together and the same people often refer to oriental people as Chinese ie people from China, Taiwan, Nepal, Japan, Vietnam/etc. I speak four languages relatively fluently and there are a lot of other things that we in the UK will not see as PC in the English language but acceptable in the three other languages I speak apart from English. (politicsbs)

I might regret asking, but here goes...

What languages do you speak? :wink:
Niv

Postby politicsbs » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:12 pm

I did not like the tone of your question so no matter what I posted there would have been some doubt in your mind.
politicsbs

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms