Oh, you’re an experimenter...

I've been called a few things...
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Random Stuff # 29

Postby jra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:Minsters call for a crackdown on car tyres and brakes as the dust they produce contributes to air pollution

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... ution.html

WTF? :off head:

Have they any idea how these things work? They are sacrificial and have to be to provide the friction needed for them to do what they are meant to do. Stop you and grip the road.

Fucking pen pushers :hand:

It's essentially calling for at least a look in changing the technology in order to make it more environmentally friendly.

Would you have said the same if government ministers (at the time) wanted lead removed from petrol as it is a pollutant?

Same with catalytic converters.

The same applies to trains.

Things such as.

Diesel engines to meet modern emission standards (and usually quieter).
Regenerative braking to input electricity back into the electrical network.
Bi-mode trains, so no diesel used running under the wires.
Increased electrification.

etc.

Brakes (and clutches) were changed many years ago on environmental grounds/health concerns (they used to contain asbestos) and tyres are always evolving. They have to be sacrificial and capable of doing the job required of them.That means particles will always be shed. It's a nonsense idea from a set of suits.

This is about tyres and brakes jra, not the other things you list. I worked for many years with leaded petrol and asbestos brakes and clutches so don't bother trying to tell me all about it.

Just because brakes and clutches were changed years ago, doesn't mean it can't or won't happen again in the future.

Don't get so defensive Fletch. Technology moves on. That's all I was saying. What if someone designs/invents a non-sacrificial tyre?
Last edited by jra on Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jra

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm

jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:Minsters call for a crackdown on car tyres and brakes as the dust they produce contributes to air pollution

Have they any idea how these things work? They are sacrificial and have to be to provide the friction needed for them to do what they are meant to do. Stop you and grip the road.

It's essentially calling for at least a look in changing the technology in order to make it more environmentally friendly.

Would you have said the same if government ministers (at the time) wanted lead removed from petrol as it is a pollutant?

Things such as.

etc.

Brakes (and clutches) were changed many years ago on environmental grounds/health concerns (they used to contain asbestos) and tyres are always evolving. They have to be sacrificial and capable of doing the job required of them.That means particles will always be shed. It's a nonsense idea from a set of suits.

This is about tyres and brakes jra, not the other things you list. I worked for many years with leaded petrol and asbestos brakes and clutches so don't bother trying to tell me all about it.

Just because brakes and clutches were changed years ago, doesn't mean it can't or won't happen again in the future.

Don't get so defensive Fletch. Technology moves on. That's all I was saying.

Yet you want to drag us back to the past.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:24 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:

Things such as.

etc.

Don't get so defensive Fletch. Technology moves on. That's all I was saying.

Yet you want to drag us back to the past.

In what way?
jra

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:29 pm

jra wrote:
In what way?

You don't want co-operation between our closest neighbours and would prefer isolationism to co-operation as evidenced by your leave vote.

Come at me with GATT24, give it a go :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Fletch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:32 pm

jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:

Things such as.

etc.

Don't get so defensive Fletch. Technology moves on. That's all I was saying. What if someone designs/invents a non-sacrificial tyre?

It won't grip the road!

jeez :thud:
Fletch

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:

Things such as.

etc.

It won't grip the road!

Wiki link Fletch or it'll be claimed you're talking through your cheeks. :whistle: :whistle:

Postby jra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:
Fletch wrote:
jra wrote:

Things such as.

etc.

It won't grip the road!

They said that about trains needing to grip the rails, especially on gradients. Now there is a new technology called Maglev. Still in its early days though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maglev
jra

Postby jra » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:
In what way?

You don't want co-operation between our closest neighbours and would prefer isolationism to co-operation as evidenced by your leave vote.

Come at me with GATT24, give it a go :thumbsup:

I thought we were talking about car and train technology, not the EU? :dunno:
jra

Postby Fletch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Where's banana gone then? :dunno:

No sign of murasaki either

:dunno:
Fletch

Postby Dean » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Fletch wrote:Where's banana gone then? :dunno:

No sign of murasaki either

:dunno:

Both disappeared at the same time. Kawasaki is notorious for her socks. Hmmmmm... :whistle:
Dean

Postby Fletch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:49 pm

eyebrow
Fletch

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive