General train talk.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Zero members logged in, Friday night thread...

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:45 pm

jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
McAz wrote:
No, you're a genuine idiot. Stick to trolling, whoring and trains. :thumbsup:

Did you forget anything?

Just let the old drug-addled fool get on with it.

Oh and I forgot to wish you a happy birthday, old bean. :thumbsup:

Thanks jra :thumbsup: I had a good time over quite a few days. :more beer:
I am having a rest of booze today with my liver and kidneys drying out on the radiator. :smilin:
I am doing so because I have a trip to Hereford on GWR to go a brother's birthday next weekend.
That will be a session. :awesome:

Have a good time. You were asking me about trains. Let me know how it went on Great Wanker Railway in the Snug.

Great Western Railways was awful last time I went up to Hereford, there was standing room only most of the way to Newport and the toilets were totally disgusting.
Then the cattle truck I then changed to in Newport was tiny and that too had a lack of seating, I had to change trains too.
All in all it was pretty shit
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Dean » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:46 pm

You don’t have those problems in first class...
Dean

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:52 pm

GWR has been pretty good on the last couple of times that I used them, the app is great and the carriages were clean and the bogs, spotless. You're best to take your own butties though as the travelling snack trolly is frankly shit.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Dean wrote:You don’t have those problems in first class...

Fuck paying that, it really isn't worth it. And besides Dean I didn't bother to pre-book, I just went to Paddington, bought a ticket and got onboard.
Now that was a mistake but I like travelling in the main and there was still some lovely countryside to gaze at.
I have been London to York stuck in the buffet car all the way once before because our train broke down at the station and using our tickets for that we were instructed onto the next one.
Having bought drinks in a supermarket we just stood at the bar and drank those.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Stooo wrote:GWR has been pretty good on the last couple of times that I used them, the app is great and the carriages were clean and the bogs, spotless. You're best to take your own butties though as the travelling snack trolly is frankly shit.

I will try and have a better experience this time round, a seat would be nice for starters
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:18 pm

LordRaven wrote:
Stooo wrote:GWR has been pretty good on the last couple of times that I used them, the app is great and the carriages were clean and the bogs, spotless. You're best to take your own butties though as the travelling snack trolly is frankly shit.

I will try and have a better experience this time round, a seat would be nice for starters

Book ahead, you even get to face the way that you want.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:41 pm

LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Did you forget anything?

I am having a rest of booze today with my liver and kidneys drying out on the radiator. :smilin:
I am doing so because I have a trip to Hereford on GWR to go a brother's birthday next weekend.

Have a good time. You were asking me about trains. Let me know how it went on Great Wanker Railway in the Snug.

Great Western Railways was awful last time I went up to Hereford, there was standing room only most of the way to Newport and the toilets were totally disgusting.
Then the cattle truck I then changed to in Newport was tiny and that too had a lack of seating, I had to change trains too.

LordRaven wrote:

Fuck paying that, it really isn't worth it. And besides Dean I didn't bother to pre-book, I just went to Paddington, bought a ticket and got onboard.
Now that was a mistake but I like travelling in the main and there was still some lovely countryside to gaze at.
I have been London to York stuck in the buffet car all the way once before because our train broke down at the station and using our tickets for that we were instructed onto the next one.

Usually, you can book as little as a day in advance and then you'll get a reserved seat.

When I went to Devon recently the class 802 wasn't particularly busy, but I had a reserved seat. I had an open return and for the way back the Cross Country (Penzance - Dundee) class 43 train I used was almost full even at Totnes despite having at least 7 carriages. Anyway, the electronic seat reservation system had failed so you couldn't tell where the seats were reserved from/to. I choose a seat at random but thankfully didn't have to relinquish it until Bristol Temple Meads so I only had to stand about 10 minutes until Bristol Parkway. The class 800 to Paddington was very lightly loaded.

You'll be pleased to know that Transport For Wales will be replacing all their rolling stock in the next few years with many brand new trains. No doubt there will be cascading of trains from other TOCs, but one thing is for sure all the Pacers (class 142/143) will need to go as they don't meet DDA requirements. Few people will miss them.

You can get some very good deals in first-class particularly if you book in advance and some TOCs do 'Weekend FIrst' where you can upgrade a standard ticket to first-class for say £10/15 on a particular journey.

Also, see.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/trave ... n-tickets/

Stooo. Please feel free to move any of these train posts to the train thread in the Snug if you deem it necessary. :thumbsup:
jra

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:46 pm

jra wrote:Usually, you can book as little as a day in advance and then you'll get a reserved seat.

When I went to Devon recently the class 802 wasn't particularly busy, but I had a reserved seat. I had an open return and for the way back the Cross Country (Penzance - Dundee) class 43 train I used was almost full even at Totnes despite having at least 7 carriages. Anyway, the electronic seat reservation system had failed so you couldn't tell where the seats were reserved from/to. I choose a seat at random but thankfully didn't have to relinquish it until Bristol Temple Meads so I only had to stand about 10 minutes until Bristol Parkway. The class 800 to Paddington was very lightly loaded.

You'll be pleased to know that Transport For Wales will be replacing all their rolling stock in the next few years with many brand new trains. No doubt there will be cascading of trains from other TOCs, but one thing is for sure all the Pacers (class 142/143) will need to go as they don't meet DDA requirements. Few people will miss them.

You can get some very good deals in first-class particularly if you book in advance and some TOCs do 'Weekend FIrst' where you can upgrade a standard ticket to first-class for say £10/15 on a particular journey.

Also, see.

You get the seat number on the app.
Stooo. Please feel free to move any of these train posts to the train thread in the Snug if you deem it necessary. :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Stooo wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Book ahead, you even get to face the way that you want.

I want to see where I am going :smilin:
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:52 pm

jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:

LordRaven wrote:

Usually, you can book as little as a day in advance and then you'll get a reserved seat.

Also, see.

Upgrades? Done that before
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby jra » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:Usually, you can book as little as a day in advance and then you'll get a reserved seat.

Also, see.

You get the seat number on the app.

I'm a bit old school, so I'll either book my ticket online or even by phone.

I collected my tickets at the station from the machine, but you don't get a reservation on the return journey with an off-peak open return. However, these tickets, although more expensive, are far more flexible than advance tickets where you need to be on a particular train at a particular time. Plus, you sometimes have a choice of alternative routes (check the National Rail routing guide http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide ).

For example, if you are travelling to Exeter/Totnes/Plymouth on an open return you can go from London Paddington - Newbury - Exeter or London Paddington - Bristol Parkway/Temple Meads - Exeter. Both are valid routes on certain tickets even though the latter is quite circuitous.
jra

Postby jra » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:15 pm

LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:Thanks jra :thumbsup: I had a good time over quite a few days. :more beer:

LordRaven wrote:

Also, see.

Upgrades? Done that before

They sometimes de-classify first class so standard ticket holders can sit there without risking a fine or paying extra.
jra

Re: General train talk.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:55 pm

I went on this the other week.

A smooth ride considering how noisy it is. Fell asleep on it, it was so hot that day, ‘twas like stepping back in time with that choo choo sound.
Attachments
2B2734C5-D524-4575-99AD-1728EA64B606.jpeg
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:15 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:I went on this the other week.

A smooth ride considering how noisy it is. Fell asleep on it, it was so hot that day, ‘twas like stepping back in time with that choo choo sound.

Steam engines are very nostalgic, but not fit for purpose for most modern train travel. And yes, the weather.

What heritage railway was this on?
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:15 am

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I went on this the other week.

Steam engines are very nostalgic, but not fit for purpose for most modern train travel. And yes, the weather.

What heritage railway was this on?

I don’t know, that’s your department, :smilin: , it was Agatha Christie land/neighbourhood.
We sailed there from Cornwall but I needed a day on terra firma after being sea sick, we’d spotted a steam train in the hills and decided to go on it. It went to Paignton.
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug