General train talk.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:47 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I went on this the other week.

A smooth ride considering how noisy it is. Fell asleep on it, it was so hot that day, ‘twas like stepping back in time with that choo choo sound.

Steam engines are very nostalgic, but not fit for purpose for most modern train travel. And yes, the weather.

What heritage railway was this on?

I don’t know, that’s your department, :smilin: , it was Agatha Christie land/neighbourhood.
We sailed there from Cornwall but I needed a day on terra firma after being sea sick, we’d spotted a steam train in the hills and decided to go on it. It went to Paignton.

Ah. This one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmouth_Steam_Railway

I went on one of these services with my dad as a young boy hauled by The Flying Scotsman, the most famous steam locomotive in the world. Something I'll never forget. I was standing on the platform at Kingswear and looking up at these huge wheels and thinking wow. Dartmouth is the only station (or used to be) in the UK not connected directly by a railway line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Clas ... g_Scotsman

Sir Nigel Gresley also designed The Mallard (class A4 Pacific) which to this day still holds the world speed record for a steam train.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Clas ... 68_Mallard

If you do get down to Dartmouth (my favourite place) again you've got to see this.

Dartmouth Lower Ferry

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oxYvcTZHHQ
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:55 am

It looks familiar. Not a clear enough pic but that’s Dartmouth Castle in my avi.

Really beautiful round there.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 pm

My favourite stretch of railway line. Dawlish Sea Wall.

HST sunset on the Great Western Railway

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1lyw6DY5UQ

The HSTs have mostly been replaced by class 802s on the line from London Paddington - Plymouth/Penzance, but Cross Country still operate some HSTs on the route between Penzance/Plymouth - Bristol and beyond.
jra

Postby jra » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:57 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

A smooth ride considering how noisy it is. Fell asleep on it, it was so hot that day, ‘twas like stepping back in time with that choo choo sound.

Steam engines are very nostalgic, but not fit for purpose for most modern train travel. And yes, the weather.

I don’t know, that’s your department, :smilin: , it was Agatha Christie land/neighbourhood.
We sailed there from Cornwall but I needed a day on terra firma after being sea sick, we’d spotted a steam train in the hills and decided to go on it. It went to Paignton.

Forgot to add. Dartmouth 'harbour' is relatively safe to enter in rough weather as there is no bar at the entrance, unlike Salcombe which would be on your way if sailing from Cornwall. I've never suffered from seasickness personally and in my case I think it was because I was boats before I could even walk.

I've stayed at Dittisham and Stoke Gabriel for a few overnights on my dad's small yacht when I was under 11 years old, so the memories are pretty vague now, but I do remember going up to Totnes in a small Avon Redstart rubber dinghy.

Salcombe bar.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37707203

Lady Murasaki wrote:It looks familiar. Not a clear enough pic but that’s Dartmouth Castle in my avi.

It is. The trouble is during full tourist season (mainly July and August) the place is chock a block and the other thing is house prices are extortionate.
jra

Postby Jobless Oddball » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:13 pm

Get ya self on the old Maglev!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jobless Oddball

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:02 am

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

Forgot to add. Dartmouth 'harbour' is relatively safe to enter in rough weather as there is no bar at the entrance, unlike Salcombe which would be on your way if sailing from Cornwall. I've never suffered from seasickness personally and in my case I think it was because I was boats before I could even walk.

I've stayed at Dittisham and Stoke Gabriel for a few overnights on my dad's small yacht when I was under 11 years old, so the memories are pretty vague now, but I do remember going up to Totnes in a small Avon Redstart rubber dinghy.

Salcombe bar.

Lady Murasaki wrote:It looks familiar. Not a clear enough pic but that’s Dartmouth Castle in my avi.

It is. The trouble is during full tourist season (mainly July and August) the place is chock a block and the other thing is house prices are extortionate.

Dartmouth harbour was very smooth, it’s the part beyond it that was the problem.
Totnes is another pretty town. It was relatively calm in early July, I imagine it’s busy now though. I try to go down that way outside of the school holidays now that I can. You’re lucky to never get seasick, my head was doing somersaults, I think it’s because I went below deck and got very disorientated.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Jobless Oddball wrote:Get ya self on the old Maglev!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I can't see that technology coming to the UK in my lifetime. But there was this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Ultraspeed

Without dedicated high-speed lines, the best we can hope for is 125mph (without in-cab signalling) and 140 mph (with in-cab signalling) generally on the main lines.

Much as I like the new class 800+ trains, I think provision should be made for tilting trains for use on the London Paddington - Newbury - Plymouth - Penzance line and the London St. Pancras to Nottingham/Derby/Sheffield line where both lines have signification curvature in places, but there are a number of reasons this could have been ruled out at least for the foreseeable future.

Track alignment work so that trains can pass when going around corners.

The cost and weight of the tilting mechanisms.

Increased fleet and maintenance costs, e.g. tilting carriages are often slightly tilted in towards the top as loading gauge clearances are smaller in the UK than in many European countries. A current example is the mark IV carriages on the ECML.

Loading gauge is a real problem in the UK leading to increased fleet purchase costs, as just about all of our trains have to be customised to run on UK lines.

Two obvious examples are class 390 (Pendolino) and class 373 (Eurostar), the latter being a customised TGV. The new class 374s (Eurostar) presumably are built to continental loading gauge as they currently only run on HS1 in the UK.
jra

Postby jra » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

Salcombe bar.

Dartmouth harbour was very smooth, it’s the part beyond it that was the problem.
Totnes is another pretty town. It was relatively calm in early July, I imagine it’s busy now though. I try to go down that way outside of the school holidays now that I can. You’re lucky to never get seasick, my head was doing somersaults, I think it’s because I went below deck and got very disorientated.

I can't guarantee I wouldn't get seasickness now, as I haven't been in a small boat for a long time now, plus my dad has given up sailing/boating for a while now.

If/when there is a next time I'll take some seasickness tablets with me.

It all comes under the banner of motion sickness.

We invented the concept of the tilting train but abandoned the project due to 'various issues'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Passenger_Train

On initial runs of the APT people were complaining of motion sickness as it was new and not perfected technology. In spite of that, some people get motion sickness on the class 390s.

Personally, I think abandoning the APT was a missed opportunity, but one cannot rewind time.
jra

Postby Stooo » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 pm

:cuppaT:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am

Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.
Next time I’ll stay above deck.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.

I wouldn't know personally, but for me might be a good idea just in case.

To be honest, I'm not sure if staying above deck is going to make a difference, but I've led to believe in time you get can immune to motion sickness. I can't vouch personally as I was on boats before I could walk so :dunno:
jra

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Transport for Wales is renewing their rolling stock over the next few years along with Greater Anglia TOC. Large batches of new trains have been and will be ordered.

Caledonia Sleeper (Serco) TOC are getting new Mark 5 carriages.

Class 717 stock is being introduced mainly for the Welwyn Garden City to Moorgate (London) route.

MML is to get bi-mode rolling stock when Abellio takes over the franchise. By then electrification from Bedford to Corby and Market Harborough should be complete.

All Pacers (class 142/143/144) should be phased out by the end of the year as they don't meet DDA standards.

Northernrailway TOC has got a large batch of new trains on order.

London North Eastern Railway (on the ECML) TOC are introducing the new Azuma (class 800/801) trains. These will replace the existing class 90/91s and Mark 4 carriages, plus the HST (class 43) sets, which are needed beyond Edinburgh to Aberdeen/Inverness/Dundee on a non-electrified section of the route.

Scotrail have introduced shortened class 43 sets now fitted with electric doors, rather than slam doors. Plus a large batch of class 385s has been put into service.

The above is not a complete list, but there will be a large number of new rolling stock units coming into service in the next few years. Some of the existing rolling stock will be cascaded to other TOCs either to replace current rolling stock or strengthen existing services, some will be put into storage and some will be scrapped.

The next batch of trains to phase out/retire are the Sprinters. Class 150/153/155/156/158/159.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinter_(train)#Replacement
jra

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Stooo wrote:

:cuppaT:

Part of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dev ... ck_Railway

Like many railway lines at the time probably shouldn't have been closed, just like South Brent to Kingsbridge since they could operate nowadays as tourist lines.
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:37 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.

To be honest, I'm not sure if staying above deck is going to make a difference, but I've led to believe in time you get can immune to motion sickness. I can't vouch personally as I was on boats before I could walk so :dunno:

Never been car sick or any other transport sick and I’m fine if the boats on calmer waters. Not sure why the rocking boat set me off when I was below deck, I was ok while above deck. :dunno:
Maybe because I couldn’t see why we were going up and down, disorientation. I’d be hopeless on a mission to Mars.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:

Never been car sick or any other transport sick and I’m fine if the boats on calmer waters. Not sure why the rocking boat set me off when I was below deck, I was ok while above deck. :dunno:
Maybe because I couldn’t see why we were going up and down, disorientation. I’d be hopeless on a mission to Mars.

I'd probably be shitting myself, as I don't even like flying.

As for motion sickness, I guess it's something you have or don't have, no real explanation as to why.

Dare I say it, you're going to need a bigger boat, as that will help with the movement regarding waves.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug