phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ng1HwRAa0
jra

Re: General train talk.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 pm

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.
Next time I’ll stay above deck.

I wouldn't know personally, but for me might be a good idea just in case.

To be honest, I'm not sure if staying above deck is going to make a difference, but I've led to believe in time you get can immune to motion sickness. I can't vouch personally as I was on boats before I could walk so :dunno:

Never been car sick or any other transport sick and I’m fine if the boats on calmer waters. Not sure why the rocking boat set me off when I was below deck, I was ok while above deck. :dunno:
Maybe because I couldn’t see why we were going up and down, disorientation. I’d be hopeless on a mission to Mars.

I'd probably be shitting myself, as I don't even like flying.

As for motion sickness, I guess it's something you have or don't have, no real explanation as to why.

Dare I say it, you're going to need a bigger boat, as that will help with the movement regarding waves.

:mrgreen: I’ve always been fine on the Ferry so you’re probably right.
It’s a friends boat so I can’t demand a bigger one but I’ll try and sail again next year, I’ll take some tablets with me.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.

I wouldn't know personally, but for me might be a good idea just in case.

To be honest, I'm not sure if staying above deck is going to make a difference, but I've led to believe in time you get can immune to motion sickness. I can't vouch personally as I was on boats before I could walk so :dunno:

Never been car sick or any other transport sick and I’m fine if the boats on calmer waters. Not sure why the rocking boat set me off when I was below deck, I was ok while above deck. :dunno:
Maybe because I couldn’t see why we were going up and down, disorientation. I’d be hopeless on a mission to Mars.

I'd probably be shitting myself, as I don't even like flying.

As for motion sickness, I guess it's something you have or don't have, no real explanation as to why.

Dare I say it, you're going to need a bigger boat, as that will help with the movement regarding waves.

:mrgreen: I’ve always been fine on the Ferry so you’re probably right.
It’s a friends boat so I can’t demand a bigger one but I’ll try and sail again next year, I’ll take some tablets with me.

Good for you. I like being on the water, but I'm not so much on the water these days, because I live inland.
jra

Postby jra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:49 pm

A must see.

DOCUMENTARY: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain
On: Channel 5 (5)
Date: Monday 12th August 2019 (starting in 12 minutes)
Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Part one of two. Documentary examining the high-speed train, a vehicle which saved the world's oldest railway network when the Intercity 125 debuted in 1976. Celebrities including Prue Leith, Peter Purves and Pete Waterman offer their memories of one of Britain's favourite trains.
(Repeat, Subtitles, Series 1, Episode 1)

Director: Richard Max
Starring: Richard Max, Graeme Thomson, Carlo Massarella, Fred Hepburn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Reminder: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain' and 'Favourite: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain' markers
Keywords: Documentary, Repeat, Subtitles
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=45488

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
jra

Postby Drunk Dalek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Motion sickness below decks can be reduced by breathing with the motion of the vessel. Your inner ear balance is being thrown out by the motion and not being able to see the Horizon. Occupying you mind will also help (reading for instance) and most importantly eat and drink. Starving your body is the worst thing you can do.
Drunk Dalek

Postby McAz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Drunk Dalek wrote:

Motion sickness below decks can be reduced by breathing with the motion of the vessel. Your inner ear balance is being thrown out by the motion and not being able to see the Horizon. Occupying you mind will also help (reading for instance) and most importantly eat and drink. Starving your body is the worst thing you can do.

An old jack gave me a pork pie and some flat Coke during a storm aboard a minesweeper when I was kid. Worked for me ever since - and my missus when she was near to heaving on a DFDS. :laughing:
McAz

Postby Gabby » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Drunk Dalek wrote:

Twice, years ago I went on the ferry from Dover to Boulogne..... I never made it out the toilet... horrendous! :laughing:
Gabby

Postby Gabby » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:21 pm

Anyone heard of BRAT to settle an upset stomach?.... Banana, rice, apple sauce, toast!..... might be ok if you felt up to eating them! :thud:
Gabby

Postby Stooo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

I used to get it as a kid due to crap car suspension at that time. Watching a sea of sick, ocean tiding it's way down the drainage valley of the Princess Anne or whatever hovercraft that it was merely increased my appetite for my scrambled egg on toast.

:woteva:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

Gabby wrote:Anyone heard of BRAT to settle an upset stomach?.... Banana, rice, apple sauce, toast!..... might be ok if you felt up to eating them! :thud:

If you didn't eat crap in the first place... eyebrow
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Drunk Dalek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:53 pm

McAz wrote:
Drunk Dalek wrote:

An old jack gave me a pork pie and some flat Coke during a storm aboard a minesweeper when I was kid. Worked for me ever since - and my missus when she was near to heaving on a DFDS. :laughing:

I've seen the flat coke trick fail in the past. The projectile vomit was one of the best I've ever seen. :laughing:

I always swore by bacon sandwiches and coffee laced with rum :thumbsup:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Gabby » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Stooo wrote:
Gabby wrote:Anyone heard of BRAT to settle an upset stomach?.... Banana, rice, apple sauce, toast!..... might be ok if you felt up to eating them! :thud:

If you didn't eat crap in the first place... eyebrow

Yeah, like takeaways! :grrrrr:
Gabby

Postby Stooo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Drunk Dalek wrote:
McAz wrote:
Drunk Dalek wrote:

I've seen the flat coke trick fail in the past. The projectile vomit was one of the best I've ever seen. :laughing:

I always swore by bacon sandwiches and coffee laced with rum :thumbsup:

This ladies and gentlemen was our nuclear deterrent... :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Part two of the above.

DOCUMENTARY: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain
On: Channel 5 (5)
Date: Tuesday 13th August 2019 (starting in 10 minutes)
Time: 19:00 to 20:00 (1 hour long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Part two of two. How a canny marketing campaign persuaded unenthusiastic Brits to embrace what new trains had to offer. Among the features were improved refreshment options. Prue Leith explains how banishing the soggy sandwich from British Rail was vital to restoring the railway's fortunes.
(Repeat, Subtitles, Series 1, Episode 2)

Director: Richard Max
Starring: Prue Leith, Richard Max, Graeme Thomson, Carlo Massarella

Marked By: 'Reminder: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain' and 'Favourite: Intercity 125: The Railway That Changed Britain' markers
Keywords: Documentary, Repeat, Subtitles
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=45488

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
jra

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:57 pm

A decent read:

Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug